• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KINGMAKER: First session

TheNovaLord

First Post
went well

everyone bit over excited as all new and hyped up

7 pc.s
made an encounter prior to reaching Olegs, to settle the party and get them concentrating!!

They did A, K, H, L and found hint to M

fully explored 2 hexes

travelled through 3 others

had 2 random encounters, one of which was a combat + 1 role-play

earned about ~700xp each

had 2 party members unconcious

High Point
'celestial sorceror' using heavenly fire to heal an unconcious party member....who had an evil alignment!! rolled a 4 and nearly died!!

-Everyone had a great time and loved the format. cant wait for next week
john

Longtooth Studios

First Post
I have someone who is willing to run this one when we finish Council of Thieves. So I get to play! Can't wait!
So I would love to get your opinion of the AP so far, without spoilers.

TheNovaLord

First Post
second session played

going brilliantly

players dont know what toexpect, GM doesnt know what to expect

lots player and GM narrative and thinking on your feet

Not much of a spoiler but rolled 2 trolls as a random encounter!!...they had passed by some hours before!

dagger

Adventurer
I am curious to know how you are actually running the hex exploration.

Basically what are you doing to keep it from being just a boring set of roles?

I have never run a sandbox style game before and I am a little worried about the players being bored.

TheNovaLord

First Post
that is the tricky bit

so, ok

the party enters a new hex
ill add a sentence of two on fluff on what this area looks like, and why this bit of plains looks different to the last bit or not*

scribble on the hex the order they think they wille xplore it, and how much of a hex is a 'day' according to the mod

have someone roll a d100 to see if theres an obvious random* encounter straight away, do they see the easy 'landmark', or other set item in the hex again according to the mod

**i will have pre looked at the random encounter chart and will have written a line or two about...ok, so they encounter wolves here....are they injured, hunting, in lair, trapped, in lair etc.

*/** tie the area to the encounter

have some random weather cards for each day too

roll survival, maybe cartogrpahy to ensure hex area is fully explored / find a good place to sleep. roll to see if there will an encounter this night and feed the foundations of that into the campsite chosen
OR
let players narrate what this bit of area is like, maybe though mini-skill challenge in due to terrain, weather, scarcity of food

there are a few rolls per hex (maybe 10, but dont do them all, and i will throw an encounter of somekind if literally nothing has happened for a while)

Session 2 was:
2nd session complete tonight
even better than the first session TBH
have added a subplot of monster settlers of Lamasthu unleashing hybrid beasties in the area, to go with a few character backgrounds....plus gives the NG+LE in party a common enemy
7 hexes fully explored
did stuff at Olegs (Kestens appearence etc),
got quest to kill 6 bandits.
completed D,M,
found few more 'war medallions'
wilderness skill challengey thing in awful weather.
learned N,R,X,W,X,Y
very social encounter with Kobolds, hunters,
combat encounter with hissing centipedes and abyssal-fey-eagles
'distance' encounter with Owlbear, 2 trolls!! and a unicorn
got quest for W from D.
Finished with a fight outside R
~770xp, so party around 1500xp mark
Party gelled much better together. I think they realise its a dangerous land out there
....The Mod just rox

renau1g

First Post
I DL'd it today, looks even cooler than the first. It actually gets into the nation building... very fun times indeed. There's so many options for the PC's to do, well done.

Remove ads