• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kingmaker Funny

Werebat

Explorer
So, I've been running my Kingmaker campaign in a bit of a nonstandard way -- in fact, other than the kingdom rules and one or two things like the Stag Lord's fort, my campaign is almost unrecognizable as being a Kingmaker campaign.

It more closely resembles the fantastic Civ4 addon Age of Ice, itself a prequel to the popular Fall From Heaven addon.

The important thing to remember here is that the PCs have no clue that they will be running a small nation in the near future.

Early on, they met the campaign equivalent of Oleg (here a Mercane trader named Aldebaran who was robbed by bandits of the small chest focus for his Secret Chest ability). He told them of the bandits and encouraged the PCs to defeat them.

After some adventures and misadventures, the PCs ended up defeating the Stag Lord (with ease thanks to careful planning and deception on the part of the bard and others as well as clever use of the owlbear as a distraction -- the fact that the random bandit the bard chose to charm happened to be Jex the Snitch didn't hurt in their planning phase, either!)

After defeating the bandits, the PCs decided to burn the fort down rather than allow more bandits to infest it. They spent days planning and executing this, using Knowledge: Engineering, fire spells, the alchemist's bombs, etc.

In the end they burned the place to the ground.

Very soon, they should run into the ruined temple in the middle of the forest (IMC, a temple of the nature god Sucellus, whose defeated "ghost" will give the campaign more direction by informing the PCs and granting rulership of the surrounding land to one of them (the regent) -- something along the lines of the Lady in the Lake).

At that point I'll break out player's versions of the kingdom building rules and pass them out to everyone.

Oh, the looks on their faces when they realize what they've done... :p

pauljathome

First Post
Oh, the looks on their faces when they realize what they've done... :p

I haven't played Kingmaker, but I'm getting the strong impression that the PCs did something that was quite intelligent (burned down a fort of negative value) that is going to turn out to be very silly (burned down a fort that was intended to be the centre of their power base) because you're doing a bait and switch on them (the campaign isn't really what they think it is). And you think that is hilarious.

You know your players better than I do. But, assuming the above summary is roughly correct, I'd be very seriously peeved at that. Quite possibly (depending on how you manifested your enjoyment of the situation) to the point of quitting the campaign.

BriarMonkey

First Post
I have to agree, bait and switch campaigns are bad all the way around. And generally, the campaign doesn't last much, if at all, beyond the switch part...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
That's pretty funny! If they're even a little bit clever, they'll figure out a new base of operations - it's not like the area is especially short on suitable candidates.

Kaisoku

First Post
It only gives a discount on making a very specific building. They might not have even wanted to build there, or want to build a castle so early into the kingdom building process either.

However, it will be a moment where the players will pull a forehead slap. I mean, the DM can't really go and reveal a bunch of stuff early and spoil the plot..

I'm sure it'll be a "doh!" moment, and they'll move on. There's plenty of other things they can get discounts for (the shrine itself I think makes for a good religious building discount, or if the DM is nice, minimal build points to "freshen up" or make it outright free).

milo

First Post
I haven't played Kingmaker, but I'm getting the strong impression that the PCs did something that was quite intelligent (burned down a fort of negative value) that is going to turn out to be very silly (burned down a fort that was intended to be the centre of their power base) because you're doing a bait and switch on them (the campaign isn't really what they think it is). And you think that is hilarious.

You know your players better than I do. But, assuming the above summary is roughly correct, I'd be very seriously peeved at that. Quite possibly (depending on how you manifested your enjoyment of the situation) to the point of quitting the campaign.

Doesn't sound like he did a bait and switch, they just burned down a fort after defeating the enemies there. Maybe they were being too paranoid and thorough, normally not a bad thing.

Remove ads