• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kingmaker: Your City and Kingdom

RithTheAwakener

First Post
1. Where your group built your first city and why;
First city was at the Stag Lord's keep, for the defensive location and the cheap castle.

2. The name of your first city and why;
We called the city Highwatch, as it is high on a mountain/hill overlooking most of the lakes and plains of the whole region.

3. The name of your kingdom and why you chose it;
The Kingdom of Highwatch. Silver, green and black for city colors. Neutral Good kingdom. Named due to it being our first city's name, was was appropriate for our groups feel as the defends of these new lands.

4. What you developed/built first;
Castle, for half price. Followed by the other buildings that make other buildings cost 1/2 the price.

5. Whatever else you deem relevant, such as the locations of any subsequent cities or important structures.
We really broke the construction system hard. Our city expanded in both size and economy so quickly that by 30 months into the campaign, we were pulling in ~250 BP a turn, had 6 cities, and built almost every relevant structure in each. Currently 31 months into the campaign (~6 months real-time) and we are nearly finished with the fifth module.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Gencon 2010 we stared Kingmaker and this past week we finally fished it. It was a lot of fun, and the last book is just brutal as the combats in there were so much more powerful then anything else we had faced and unlike most of the campaign those encounters happened a lot more then one or two a day.
Did any of the characters die?

Rone Barton

Explorer
To those of you (TarionzCousin, Drowbane and anyone else) who freed the citizens of Rogthandor in the Citadel of Pain... too cool. That's the option I would have chosen as well.

When Lou and I designed this adventure, we wanted to make cinematic endings available regardless of which path you chose. As I grew up reading, GMing, or playing adventures, I always fantasized about either freeing the imprisoned or the trapped and giving them safe haven, or filching something grand from an adventure and then weaving it into my campaign's narrative elsewhere. We were hoping some people might choose to take a chance and give these morally complex critters a good home. Good on ya!

Kaisoku

First Post
Throughout the campaign, if someone we were fighting looked like they were going to escape our wrath, we.. uh.. kind of took on a bit of a juvenile attitude.
We sort of vandalized their stuff, damaging things they might care for to get them to either come back after us in anger, or to at least cripple their ability to recover.

Our summoner had the Mad Monkeys spell, used most combats, so the idea of crazed, maniacal monkeys flinging poop all over say, someone's bed room or throne room, would typically become part of our "strategy".
Also... we usually set things on fire after we left.

While we were very willing to take on people who were questionable, and try and work them towards a more Good agenda.. but if someone ticked us off, we got kind of mean.

TarionzCousin

To those of you (TarionzCousin, Drowbane and anyone else) who freed the citizens of Rogthandor in the Citadel of Pain... too cool. That's the option I would have chosen as well.

When Lou and I designed this adventure, we wanted to make cinematic endings available regardless of which path you chose. As I grew up reading, GMing, or playing adventures, I always fantasized about either freeing the imprisoned or the trapped and giving them safe haven, or filching something grand from an adventure and then weaving it into my campaign's narrative elsewhere. We were hoping some people might choose to take a chance and give these morally complex critters a good home. Good on ya!
I ran it. The player who got to choose was the one strongest in favor of that option. The (Lawful Good???) paladin and Chaotic Neutral Druid were both strong advocates of leaving the monsters there.

Now they all are happy with monster citizens. In fact, I think Drowbane may make a minotaur cohort soon.

Rone Barton

Explorer
I ran it. The player who got to choose was the one strongest in favor of that option. The (Lawful Good???) paladin and Chaotic Neutral Druid were both strong advocates of leaving the monsters there.

Now they all are happy with monster citizens. In fact, I think Drowbane may make a minotaur cohort soon.

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end, TC. And that's pretty neat... a minotaur cohort...

Thanks for taking the time to paint a picture of how it turned out. No two play reports from this adventure sound the same thus far and I find it interesting to hear where each game group went with it.

Rone Barton

Explorer
BTW, many thanks for the comment, Drowbane. I'm not used to ENworld posting techniques and at first I missed it there, shrunken at the bottom of my post.

How does one leave a comment like that? Quick reply?

TarionzCousin

BTW, many thanks for the comment, Drowbane. I'm not used to ENworld posting techniques and at first I missed it there, shrunken at the bottom of my post.

How does one leave a comment like that? Quick reply?
That's an XP comment. You click on the green "thumbs up" symbol to the left of someone's post. It awards them experience points and allows you to enter a comment as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads