• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kitchen sink review of 3.5 PHB

Jeremy Crawford

First Post
Re: Re: Re: spell changes?

EricNoah said:

You're right. This is incorrectly listed as a change in the conversion guide.
Yeah, unfortunately the conversion guide is a little glitchy.

Another example: it says rage turned into emotion (rage), when the opposite is true.

Steverooo

First Post
drnuncheon said:
"The Intuit Direction class skill was replaced with the more sensible Survival skill (which replaced the aforementioned skill entirely)."

...no mention of Wilderness Lore, though.

Actually, he does (under the Skills section, IIRC).

"Bards no longer receive alchemy or scry as class skills;"

Of course, if he'd read farther he'd find that they do in fact get Craft (alchemy), and Scry has vanished.

Both of which he mentions (skills section, and there).

"Rogues have changed very little. They now have the new abilities Trap Finding and Trap Sense"

Trap finding is new?

The name (along with Trap Sense) is. The ability is not.

"Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Knowledge the Planes are all new to the core skill list."

Holy crow, I've had a 3.5 Player's Handbook since 2000! It must have been an early playtest copy, because it's missing Knowledge (dungeoneering), but all the rest of this "new" stuff seems to be in it...

I haven't seen the PHB, yet, but I bet each of the Knowledge skills now has its OWN description, instead of just one "Knowledge" skill, with individual sub-sections. We'll see!

[Edit: EN?]

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Mark Chance said:
That is largely a matter of opinion, isn't it?

Yes, it is. But using the term 4.0 is a disingenous comment, and intended as same. Worse, it can be confusing to people who don't understand that.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
WizarDru said:
Yes, it is. But using the term 4.0 is a disingenous comment, and intended as same.

I read it as more sarcastic, but get your point and agree.

I guess I'm just getting kind of tired of people on both sides of the 3.5 question whining that the other side is wrong or irksome or whatever.

With every new message I read about 3.5, Mutants & Masterminds looks better. :D

Jeremy Crawford

First Post
Steverooo said:
I haven't seen the PHB, yet, but I bet each of the Knowledge skills now has its OWN description, instead of just one "Knowledge" skill, with individual sub-sections. We'll see!
In the new Player's Handbook, the specific Knowledge skills are still listed together, but with more information than before.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
The d20 Magazine Rack review was terrific.

My favorite snippet:

Celestials are now known as angels

It's about time. :)

--The Sigil

Rathan

First Post
The Sigil said:
The d20 Magazine Rack review was terrific.

My favorite snippet:

Celestials are now known as angels

It's about time. :)

--The Sigil

Heh. I couldn't even begin to disagree more with that statement.

ForceUser

Explorer
Rathan said:

Heh. I couldn't even begin to disagree more with that statement.
Since 3.5 came out I have been annoyed by the perpetuation of the stigma of associating celestials with angels, while the books have no problem calling devils and demons what they are. At least it's now consistent. As always, there is rule zero for those who disagree with D&D's naming conventions.

Remove ads