• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kitchen Sink Settings

klofft

Explorer
Hello all.

I wasn't interested in adding another poll to the board, but I was informally curious about something in your games.

I'm wondering how many people play in/run "kitchen sink" D&D games. For the purposes of my question, I'll use the definition of "kitchen sink game" that applies to my own game:

There is a default presumption that anything from a WotC book (excepting optional rules from UA) or Dragon/Dungeon is, from the outset, a fair choice for a player character. Furthermore, in some way or another, the DM and/or player makes some sort of attempt to integrate this idea into the existing world. And still furthermore, any monster from those same sources could potentially appear in the world as well.

Anyone besides me?
C

Crothian

First Post
I do. Not everything is automatically there, but potentially anything could be. For instance I've never seen a Warlock in my own setting, but if a player would like to play one they could fit in there.

Jolly Giant

First Post
It's close to how I've been doing things. I've rejected a few things, but most of it have been used or could be used one day. This does not include setting specific books, though. I've not use anything Eberron related, and only very little from the FR books.

I pretty much only do "Kitchen Sink" games too. And im might even avoid a DM's game that doesnt allow everything from WOTC unless they have a good reason (for example: No warforged in Forgotten Realms makes sense.) not to allow it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
that's basically how i play it. anything can exist there, unless i overrule it (usually for a good reason).

I've had only two rules for years. No monks, no drow. I've since added 'no warforged'.

Other than that, the presumption is that it's in unless there is a good reason otherwise.

Talic

First Post
Yep, that's pretty much our game. Just about any up to date WotC product is legal(and some old 3.0 stuff that wasn't updated), but always inform the DM - especially if it's from a more off-beat official source like Miniatures Handbook or somethin. Usually it's ok as is, occasionally it's tweaked, and rarely it's banned.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
It depends on which campaigne I'm running and the style that I want.

If I'm running an "old style" game based on classic modules, then its "no warlocks, no warforged".

If I want "bunch of Joe's out adventureing" Then the rule is "if it can't walk into the tavern..." meaning nothing that doesn't look like a Joe...meaning Human, hafling, elf, dwarf, 1/2 elf, gnome, or (begrugingly) 1/2 ork. Not phb only, but no 1/2 dragons or walking constructs. You have horns? the town guard starts shooting at you and closes the gate....

If I running a "fey ok" woodland adventure, no you can't play a demon. I don't care if he likes trees....

Yair

Community Supporter
Most of my games are kitchen sink, yeah. I sometimes may make exceptions, but basically I see no reason to restrict either myself or my players if there's something fun we want to play out.

Remove ads