• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Klooge Werks and Online Play

~Johnny~

First Post
Having recently moved to NYC, I've lost access to my old roleplaying group. I've been looking for a way to organize long-distance play. At one point, I was resigned to using Instant Messenger to do it. But then I heard about this:

http://www.kloogeinc.com/werks/

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any reviews or many mentions of it.

Can anybody tell me:
  • Whether you've used the program and if it's any good
  • What its failings are, if any, and your workarounds for those problems
  • Whether there's a similar program you'd recommend more
  • Why the company who made it hasn't updated their site in a year
I'd also be interested in learning if there's a community of players who use the software, or a library of resources for plugging into the software.

I know somebody here has to be familiar with this program. Don't let me down!

shadowlight

First Post
I used this software for the first time last Saturday in a Hero game at the Detroit Gameday. It was pretty fun to use (the GM had a laptop with an additional LCD screen for the players to look at). I liked the fact that you could have large maps and zoom in (for the close) and out (for the bigger picture). Its a neat tool, but I think it could also be distracting and a little limiting (if you don't have an area mapped out in your program already, the PCs can't explore it and that can make it feel like a railroad adventure). I'll stick with my wet erase battlemap.

For the online qualities, I'd recommend asking mudpyr8. His website can be found here:
http://www.narosia.com/

I think he works with the guys developing the software.

shadowlight

First Post
~Johnny~ said:
Thanks for the mini-review. Anybody else?

I'm particularly curious as to the fate of the company that makes the software.
I'm pretty sure they're working on a new version of the software...

Remove ads