• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knave 2 from Ben of Questing Beast. Update: Backerkit store is open.

darjr

I crit!
Update the Backerkit store is open Pre-order Knave RPG: Second Edition on BackerKit

Update the KS is live.

The “save” page for the Kickstarter is up. I’ve watched a lot of Bens videos but never quite checked out his RPG nor his adventures.

Knave is classless or more like it has one class, the knave. The biggest innovation I think is that each spell is a spell book and each book takes up a spot in your inventory. You can only carry so much. So you can eschew the books and carry gear or tools or weapons, or instead carry a bunch of books to cast spells. Or a mix.

It’s designed so as to be able to run a lot of different OSR adventures.

The signup for the kickstarter has over 4 thousand followers. That seems really good, is it?

E1700DBA-23E4-437D-AE56-FC6861CA395F.jpeg
Link

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That's a really high number of sign ups, yes.

And it's funny to me that the most prominent voice for OSR nowadays has a system that is modern in so many ways. The slot encumbrance system and the-gear-makes-the-character system both hearken back to video games, rather than what anything Gygax or Arneson would have recognized.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Knave is interesting, I'm probably in for Knave 2.

Early D&D was all about the gear. A fighter was nothing without their intelligent magic sword.
Exactly this. Diegetic progression through gear acquisition is a core gameplay loop of old school D&D.

Being able to equip and use various types of magical items, counting spell scrolls and spell books, through weapon proficiencies, armor types, and spell slots, was one of the main differentiators of class.

darjr

I crit!
Exactly this. Diegetic progression through gear acquisition is a core gameplay loop of old school D&D.

Being able to equip and use various types of magical items, counting spell scrolls and spell books, through weapon proficiencies, armor types, and spell slots, was one of the main differentiators of class.
I’m wondering if there is a chance if gear destruction with fire breath etc.

Remove ads