• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kneeling, what kind of action is it?

Arravis

First Post
In the Combat Modifiers chart it states that a "kneeling or sitting" characters has armor class modifiers of -2 vs melee, +2 vs ranged attacks. My question is what kind of action is kneeling? If it is a free-action, should there be a limit to the number of times you can do so? Anyone know of any other references to this modifier? Thanks guys!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Kneeling is not a defined action type, nor is it a defined condition (outside that particular chart). If you rule that it's a free action to kneel, it's up to you to limit the number of times that can occur in a round, but understand that you also have to define what kind of an action it is to get up from kneeling, or to go prone from kneeling, or to go to kneeling from prone (and whether any of them provoke, etc.).

Arravis

First Post
That's what I figured... I'm not looking to create a new house-rule, I'm just trying to find out if there is anything in the rules on this other than the modifier mentioned. I'm actually somewhat surprised they would put a modifier in without generating rules how you get to it. Perhaps I shouldn't be, lol.

3d6

Explorer
D20 Modern says that dropping to a kneeling or sitting position is a free action, and standing up from a kneeling or sitting position is a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

Remove ads