• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knights and Shield Ally

ChimericDream

First Post
This question came up in the game I'm DMing, and I ruled on the fly that the Knight couldn't do what he wanted. I want to have a little bit more ground to stand on, though, so I want to know what your interpretation is.

Basically, the Knight was within 5 ft of two other characters, and both of them took a large amount of damage from the same attack. The Knight's player wanted to use Shield Ally to take half of both his allies' damage, but I don't think this is really feasible, even though it's an immediate action to take an ally's damage.

Bagpuss

Legend
It's not allowed as you are only allowed one immediate action a turn, and it uses up the swift action of your next turn. Hence as soon as he used the immediate action to help one, he was unable to make a second immediate action to help another.

The one immediate action rule is why Improved Shield Ally (at 14th) isn't an immediate action. Otherwise you would not be able to use both.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads