Kobold Press: Confuzzling

GothmogIV

Explorer
I am digging into some Kobold Press stuff, which I really like. I am a bit turned around re: Tome of Beasts (1-3), Tome of Beasts 1(5e), Deep Magic 5e, and Deep Magic 1&2. Are there large differences between the non-5e materials and the 5e materials? Then, Tales of the Valiant will have its own monster book (Monster Vault). Huh?
Any insight will be cheerfully accepted.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Tales of the Valiant stuff is meant to serve as a replacement for WotC's 5E material if WotC goes crazy again like they did last winter and threatens to make it difficult to publish 5E stuff independently. (That saga ended with WotC making it close to impossible to try that again, but never say never with corporate America.)

There are some minor rules changes between ToV and the 2014 WotC D&D ruleset -- inspiration is changed to another sort of player token, for instance -- but by and large, you can use material from either company, both WotC's D&D and KP's ToV, without any real difficulty.

The ToV Monster Vault doesn't have any of the monsters that WotC maintains tight IP control over, like mind flayers, and uses different flavor and lore for a lot of other monsters, but what we've seen of it (including in a preview PDF with dozens of pages of monsters) looks excellent, especially if you're not worried about official WotC lore (I don't use WotC settings myself, so WotC lore is basically meaningless to me). They also include a lot of new or new-to-me monsters (I suspect some are Midgard monsters with the serial numbers filed off), so it should be a meaty tome.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The presentation is a little confusing, but the pre-ToV material for Monsters is 4 books:

• Tome Of Beasts, sometimes called Tome of Beasts 1 in later printings
  • Creature Codex
  • Tome of Beasts 2
  • Tome of Beasts 3

mamba

Legend
The presentation is a little confusing, but the pre-ToV material for Monsters is 4 books:

• Tome Of Beasts, sometimes called Tome of Beasts 1 in later printings
  • Creature Codex
  • Tome of Beasts 2
  • Tome of Beasts 3
ToB1 got a refresh in 2023 (new edition) with some updates and some new monsters. By now the original should no longer be on sale in the KP website (for a bit both were)

kronovan

Adventurer
For me, it depends upon whether I'm using the bestiaries for a D&D 5e campaign set in Midgard, or just using them to enhance a campaign set in another world. About a 1/3rd of the 300+ monsters in the original Tome of Beasts had terrific sidebars with flavor text for monsters with charateristics that were pertinent to the World of Midgard. WIth the big success of the ToB1 kickstarter and follow up sales, it became apparent that many, if not most, DMs were using it to enhance campaigns set in worlds other than Midgard. So beginning with the Creature Codex, Kobold Press more or less stopped including the Midgard specific side bars.

I copied & pasted that flavor text into the monsters/NPCs in the Midgard campaigns I ran with a VTT, and would read it out to my players where appropriate during encounters. They really enjoyed that and TBH I really dislike that KP stopped including any Midgard flavor text in their later bestiaries, but I'm no doubt among the minority of DMs. ToB1 is my go to book when I want to homebrew encounters or adventures for a Midgard set campaign. That said, IMO all four have quality threats that will enhance any 5e campaign.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the non-5e content in the OP, but KP's earlier threat books that were published for PF1e, D&D 4e, 13th Age, Fantasy Age (I'm sure I'm missing a few more), all had the title of the specific TTRPG in their name; i.e "Midgard Bestiary 13th Age Compatible Edition". Those contained fewer monsters/NPCs than the ToBs or CC (about 100 per book), but still contained many quality threats. Any of which with a bit of reskinning, could be placed into just about any other fantasy setting.

GothmogIV

Explorer
I am just now getting into Midgard, and started reading the campaign book last night. It is...large (and awesome). I am new to Kobold Press, so there is a ton of material to go through. My group plays on VTT, so I'm happy to see Kobold has a good amount of stuff on Roll20. Thanks to all for the help piecing all of this together! My head has been in the Forgotten Realms since 1989, so it's a bit daunting to learn a new world, but it's a fantastic source book.

GothmogIV

Explorer
This setting is much darker than FR. I am enjoying reading about it, and I am astonished by how big it is. Very different tone than WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This setting is much darker than FR. I am enjoying reading about it, and I am astonished by how big it is. Very different tone than WotC.
It started life as Wolfgang Baur's in-office game at TSR, and he pit all the ideas in that TSR wouldn't publish in the 90's.

Last edited:

Remove ads