• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Slinger, interesting questions (Maybe minor spoiler?)

Khyl'Dran

First Post
I have a couple of questions about how to handle the Kobold Slinger in these situations:

1. How do I handle, rules-wise, if my ranger decides he wants to target one of the gluepots hanging from the Kobold's bandolier? How would that change the attack roll? What happens if he hits? Would the Kobold be immobilized?

2. What happens if one of my players decides to take the bandolier and sling and wants to use one of the special shots? Is he able to do that? Is that a feature of the weapon, or a feature of the Kobold? I don't know how I could tell my player that he can't use it.

Khyl

NMcCoy

Explorer
Wing it. I'd say -5 to the attack roll, and the kobold gets hit with the extra effect in addition to the ranger's attack damage. Alternatively, if anyone crits the kobold let them do the extra effect instead of maximizing the damage, at their option.
Other potential KotS houserules:
Thievery vs. Reflex as a standard action to steal the pot.
Dex attack vs. Reflex to break the pot for effect, but no damage.

I (the rogue) took the sling and ammo; we just said it was a +1 proficiency bonus for the sling, and dex to attack and damage. Seems to work fine.

Kordeth

First Post
Khyl'Dran said:
I have a couple of questions about how to handle the Kobold Slinger in these situations:

1. How do I handle, rules-wise, if my ranger decides he wants to target one of the gluepots hanging from the Kobold's bandolier? How would that change the attack roll? What happens if he hits? Would the Kobold be immobilized?

This is the sort of thing that's probably a bit beyond the scope of the fast-play rules in KotS, but I'd say have the ranger make an attack vs the kobold's Reflex Defense at a penalty of, say, -2. No damage on a hit, but the kobold is immobilized as though hit by his own glue pot.

2. What happens if one of my players decides to take the bandolier and sling and wants to use one of the special shots? Is he able to do that? Is that a feature of the weapon, or a feature of the Kobold? I don't know how I could tell my player that he can't use it.

I see no reason to disallow it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads