Kobold

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Klaus said:
If you're set into playing a spellcaster, I'd say go Warlock. Your eldritch blast is a standard action already, so you can move + blast every round. You'll get a decent AC (light armor + size + natural armor + Dex), decent skills and your eldritch blast packs quite a punch at later levels.
I'll echo Warlock again, especially since before 12 lvl, you can't actually ascend with those wings (at all until 6th, an limited until 12th). My kobold warlock has the spider climb invocation to solve that problem. Dragonfire adept doesn't get that IIRC.

BTW: Scout + warlock would be an interesting combination, though I would favor more on the latter if favored classes weren't an issue.

Seeten

First Post
Dragonfire Adept gets a dragonwings ability at level 6, so I could get 2 feats back by taking it, but neither Warlock nor Dragonfire Adept seems good at being an Arcane Caster. What about Warmage? Like a Sorcerer, but without the miniscule spells known issue?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Seeten said:
Dragonfire Adept gets a dragonwings ability at level 6, so I could get 2 feats back by taking it, but neither Warlock nor Dragonfire Adept seems good at being an Arcane Caster. What about Warmage? Like a Sorcerer, but without the miniscule spells known issue?
Warlock: Best UMD users outside of Eberron. Give them *any* scroll (divine or arcane), they can use it.

Warmage: Good as long as all you ever want to do is evocation. No utility spells. No enchantments. No scrolls or wands of same.

Ruslanchik

First Post
Do you need an arcane spell caster for the utilty spells or are you in need of offensive spell casting?

Either way I think sorcerer is a safe bet. Maybe not as powerful as some combinations, but definitely flavorful.

I also think that a warlock is a good choice, but you won't get the utility spells.

What is your party's makeup? You say you don't need a fighter-type. Are there other spellcasters in the group? Could you go with druid, since clearly PrCs will be difficult at best with such limited feat choices?

Seeten

First Post
Group has: Thri-Kreen Warblade, Human Crusader/Warblade, Another Fighter type of indeterminate type, and me. I was originally gonna do a Changeling Warblade/Warshaper, until i saw what everyone else was...

Klaus

First Post
stonegod said:
I'll echo Warlock again, especially since before 12 lvl, you can't actually ascend with those wings (at all until 6th, an limited until 12th). My kobold warlock has the spider climb invocation to solve that problem. Dragonfire adept doesn't get that IIRC.

BTW: Scout + warlock would be an interesting combination, though I would favor more on the latter if favored classes weren't an issue.
Starting at level 6, you could Jump vertically to gain altitude, then glide, then fly upwards for one round, then glide, then fly upwards again, the glide, etc, etc. My only issue with Dragon Wings is the ridiculous fly speed (30).

Remove ads