• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobolds in D&D Novels

Americano

First Post
I'm trying to add flavor to a group of kobolds my players are going to be interacting with in the near future. Are there any D&D novels that feature kobolds as anything more than just low-level fodder? Thanks.

Krug

Newshound
Well not quite books, but check out my game for some heroic kobolds! :D

There was a pretty heroic kobold in one of the NWN expansions who ascended to Half-Dragon status.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
There's a kobold sorcerer in the Dragonlance novel Downfall (from the Dhamon Saga trilogy), but he's somewhat DL specific (poses as a kender etc.).

diaglo

Adventurer
not a novel but definitely a good read... see if you can do a google search for Tucker's Kobolds... ;)

the article in question was written by Roger Moore iirc in Dragon Magazine

Grishnak

First Post
I've just bought 3 other different slayers guides and loved everyone, if the Kobold book is as good as Giants, Troglodytes and Goblins then there's lots of ideas which can be gained from them and some small adventure hooks aswell!!

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
At a mini-game convention (it was just a couple hundred people), I DMed a "Kobold" adventure. The plot took place in a dark forest possessed by a humanoid-hating spirit, so malevolent and ruthless that all the surroundings have been closed, trapped, etc.

Inside, several tribes of kobolds are emprisonned and must survive. I had fun imagining what would look like a tribe's village in a place where everything -- plants, bugs, animals, etc. -- want your death. Traps, alchemical repellents, watchers, paranoia, and so on. It was fun!

And the kobolds were kick-ass, too.

Nebt Bhakau

First Post
Also not a novel, but if you're interested in portraying a kobold, you might try to track down a copy of the old 'First Quest' boxed game. It was an introductory AD&D sort of thing, back when TSR was dabbling with CDs as gaming materials. Includes an audio CD with hilarious narration of an actual simulated first D&D session ('Wait a minute, what's a character?!') and ...get this... realistic kobold dialogue!!!

"We're more scared of, of Bonegnasher than we are of you!"
"Yeah, yeah!"

Gez said:
At a mini-game convention (it was just a couple hundred people), I DMed a "Kobold" adventure. The plot took place in a dark forest possessed by a humanoid-hating spirit, so malevolent and ruthless that all the surroundings have been closed, trapped, etc.

Inside, several tribes of kobolds are emprisonned and must survive. I had fun imagining what would look like a tribe's village in a place where everything -- plants, bugs, animals, etc. -- want your death. Traps, alchemical repellents, watchers, paranoia, and so on. It was fun!

And the kobolds were kick-ass, too.

That sounds really, really fun. I hope you put your notes up on this (errr...translated to English, though I can give a crack at French, but its been years)!

Remove ads