"Kobolds, we're being killed by kolbolds?" A small idea about using low CR creatures

officeronin

First Post
Oren said:
I personally think that many DM's decide that after 5th level or so all of the hordes of goblins, kobolds and bugbears that previously plagued the PC's suddenly take a vacation and dissapear from the face of the earth (or whereever). :) This is not only unrealistic, but truly unsatisfying to the PC's for several reasons.

After wiping out a goblin tribe, the adventurers went on their merry way. A few levels later, some of the survivors of that tribe had survived, gained class levels, and tracked them down. Just an opinion, but goblin is a better race for rogues than halfling!

OfficeRonin

Sanackranib

First Post
better rogues

the increased movement is a big advantage. especially if they have a level of barbarian! now they move twice as fast as the hobbits.;)

Arandmoor_Keet

First Post
Humanoids

Decaso...Black Orcs? Do I detect a Major Mudder? ;)

Oh well, even if I don't...

Kobolds can be a huge problem to even the highest level characters if they can get close. The moment they figure out that they can't kill you with their usual weapons they'll just have 8 or so warriors grapple you.
In 2e it was called overbearing, I can't remember what it's called in the new edition but it should be under grappling (aid another maybe?)
When enough of them have piled on top of the unfortunate adventurer to render him technically "helpless", the one free kobold does a Coup de Gras.

Also, read the MM under orc, goblin, and hobgoblin.
The statistics presented are for 1st level warriors.
Those guys are the bottom of the heap!
After all the young men are wiped out, the PCs have GOT to get around to slaying the scarred veterans eventually!

Arandmoor Keet

Last edited:

Labmonkey-XL

First Post
Vampiric Wererat Kobolds..... :D

They can climb walls at their full rate of speed (my own houserules), and infect you with their wretched curse!

Of course i never had vampiric wererat kobolds, i just had vampiric wererats. I wonder how the kobold thing will work out... must try it.....

gpetruc

First Post
1) Consider kobolds as an advanced race such as dwarves and gnomes (kobolds tend to be smarter than the dumb orcs). And now the kobolds with class levels are an obvious consequence.

2) Have a huge army of kobolds attack a weak human nation: PCs can't fight all the kobolds, they'll have to organize the human resistance against them

3) Assaulting a cleverly designed kobold stronghold, with all the passages lare enough for a kobold, but where humans need to crawl, all in the darkness, full of traps, lots of crossbow bolts coming from arrowslits everywhere and maybe a guardian dragon ... this could be difficult also for higher level PCs

4) Consider Orcs in Middle Earth: they are evil, but only once the someone has tried to kill every single orc community in the world (the Orcs vs Dwarves war), and still they failed:
While you can easyly kill the band of orcs attacking you in the wilderness, destroying the orc kingdom might be nearly impossible.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Oren said:
I personally think that many DM's decide that after 5th level or so all of the hordes of goblins, kobolds and bugbears that previously plagued the PC's suddenly take a vacation and dissapear from the face of the earth (or whereever). :) This is not only unrealistic, but truly unsatisfying to the PC's for several reasons.
Well, what if that kobold fort that the PCs destroyed was just a surface operative of a kobold mafia, spread throughout the Underdark and controlling the drow, derro and duegar empires through intimidation, puppet rulers and high level magic? And what if Don Kojark pays a visit to the dreams of the party after they've gained some levels and gives them "an offer they can't refuse"? Sound like fun? :D

Demiurge out.

Xarlen

First Post
Absofriggin'lutely.

Kobolds are my little Chosen. I would not even dare send a group of PCs under 6th level after them without feeling like they are getting slaughtered, or I'm not playing the Kobolds right.

Yes, yes, sweet yes. Kobolds have a 10 Int, which is par with a Human. They are seen as cannon fodder, they are physically weak, and they have a bad habit of earning the wrath of anyone with a decent sword and spell. This means, they need to Prepare.

Yes, small tunnels. But then there are going to be traps set for adventurers. Kobolds don't need torches. This means flammable things hidden in the ceilings. Tunnels that have an elevated roof to fit a medium sized individual, spesificly to set traps their head would trigger (Can you say a tripwire caught on your helmet, firing a crossbow bolt between your eyes?). Murder holes, arrow slits, pungi pits to catch those on their hands and knees. Poisonous creatures (Snakes, wasps, spiders, etc) housed in jars and thrown. Imagine a few half dozen trained weasels sicked on a party, or a dire badger, while they are in this restricted little hole? Or, imagine the horror of a Kobold nest that breeds and 'trains' stirges?

Heck, I imagine Kobolds could learn how to construct catapults that fire around corners (Dwarves have!). And then there is magic. How about a Control Flame targetted at a Torch? Or a bucket of oil? Grease makes a perfect addition to sloping tunnels, especially if you have a Slow coming online right behind it. Lightning bolts in those tiny tunnels will no doubt cause restricted Ref saves. Tanglefoot bags, Thunderstones, and poisons, poisons, poisons. Sorcerors who may focus on Counterspelling to deal with pesky mages who may Fireball the nest, or crossbowmen who focus on disrupting spells.

But that is just in a Kobold's nest, where you don't want to fight them. What about out in the open? You better believe they are going to have traps set up at ambush points. Pit traps either in the road or along the side. Bridges? They are going to have tripwires, caltrops, and greases on them. Invisible kobolds in spiderholes waiting. A kobold in Melee is a Dead kobold. Always have somewhere you can excape to. And of course, a hired help (the assistance of an ogre or bugbear for help can always be good).

Of course, Kobolds are going to be making deals with anything nearby, not just raiding it stupidly. They are going to offer magic and a cut of profits to intelligent monsters near by. Why, they may offer a trade agreement to a town. 'We don't raid you or any of your travellers into the town, you send us tribute once a month. This can be oil, supplies, food, so on. It will save lives, and effort of paying adventurers to kill us. Think of your wallets. We'll keep monster populations down, or out of your hair. With your assistance and tribute.'

I can very much see Kobolds as Socalist. Not fully, but they regard the Nest as nearly as important as their own survival. Everyone gets a small 'share' of the take, but the majority goes to the Nest's funds. And those who do exceptionally well get rewarded.

And then you have your kobolds who are exceptionally powerful. Wizards, sorcerors, priests, rogues. Cleric/Barbarians (When you get Divine Power) are... scary.

A kobold is only limited to how you limit them. :) Make Them Proud.

Last edited:

Remove ads