• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS impressions

Klaus

First Post
I haven't had a chance to run KotS yet, but I wanted to ramble a bit on what I thought of it in the first place.

The booklets have a nice, clean layout. The graphics for the page numbers could use some toning down a bit. The encounters use a structure similar to the encounters found in later 3E adventures like Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. The interior headers, in gold and red, actually detract a bit from the mood suggested for the adventure. A darker hue, like gray, indigo or purple, would match the tone of the adventure better (specially with the whole "Shadowfell" thing going).

The maps are very well made, even if at least 3 of them are recycled pieces from Fantastic Locations. I actually liked Mike Schley's maps for the interiors of the Keep more than Jason Engle's indoor pieces, and the use of both styles of maps was a bit clashing.

The encounters themselves could use some reorganization. Some monsters wear bit of treasure, but it isn't listed in their "Equipment" entry (
You can find an example of that in the hobgoblin torturer in Area 2, who wears a magic armor, and has that armor's power in his stat block, but the Equipment lists a regular hide armor
). Also, "Treasure" should be its own header, not listed under "Features of the Area", as it gets a bit lost in there. Specially since it has the same header as the magical items that should be listed under a "Treasure" header.

The art was, sadly, subpar. The depictions of the two main villains is sketchy, and Balgron looks specially goofy with his curly black hair and what looks like a lollipop in his mouth (either that or a thermometer). The cover is a well-made piece by William O'Connor. I'd have preferred a piece depicting the outside of the Keep itself, instead of a villain portrait. The sketches used for the Pregens didn't match the stats given to them, which is a bit disappointing, since adjusting either to fit the other doesn't take much. Also, half-a-page is spent on a waterfall picture (which does not exactly match the corresponging location later on the adventure), but no pictures are given for two creature types that are quite frequent in the adventure,
kobolds and hobgoblins

Speaking of the Pregens, it should have been spelled out clearly what weapons and armor the characters *can* use, since there are treasures during the adventurer that the characters might want to wield/wear. In fact, the stats for those items aren't clearly spelled out for those who pick them up. If your dwarf fighter (who wields a maul) wants to use the magical sword, what is its damage, and how does it affect his powers? Can he even do it? Can the chainmail-wearing cleric wear hide armor? What would his AC be?

The module is very good in helping a new DM, but assumes the DM already knows several things. A creature has a power that uses the recharge mechanic, but recharging isn't explained anywhere in the module (it's available in the FAQ at WotC's site). Some information that might be useful earlier in the adventure, like Grabbing, or how to determine Line of Sight/Effect, or even who Bahamut is (a deity worshipped by two of the Pregen characters).

Editing can also be improved, English-wise. For instance, page 4 opens with:

"As the adventure begins, the player characters find themselves traveling down a road that hasn't been maintained in nearly a hundred years ago."

That "ago" slipped through the cracks, I'm sure, but it's not the best first impression, as you open the adventure.

In spite of its flaws, Keep on the Shadowfell reads like a really fun adventure, not unlike Keep on the Borderlands and Village of Hommlett. While I wait for the opportunity to run it (for a 3-PC crowd), I'll throw an 8 out of 10 for it.

FCWesel

First Post
I, for one, am completely unimpressed with this product. I find that the number of mistakes and the rather terrible art (and rather skimpy production value for $30.00) are simply unexcusable for the VERY FIRST product of a brand new game line that was meant to inspire and all of us on 4th ed.

I certainly hope that the reason this product fails (imo, grant you) is that the core books were given a extra-good-load of attention and care to detail and product value.

Here's to hoping, right?:)

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
At first I thought it was grossly overpriced- now I'm not so sure-I got to thinking and......

8 years ago we got The Sunless Citadel- 32 pages- B&W 10 bucks

KOTS- 90 something color pages, nice folio, and maps/combat grids- 30 bucks.

The paper quality is horrid on KOTS however, and there is the smudging ink problem (really bad on my copy) whereas my copy of TSC is still in pretty darn good shape.

For the $22 I paid for KOTS, I'm not terribly upset- But if I had to pay full price I'd be mighty pi$$ed. I hope the core books have a better printing job and paper than KOTS.

and Klaus, I'm not a minis guy so I'll be putting your counters to good use, Thank You! :D

Gundark

Explorer
Yeah the ink smuge problem is definetly lame. I have 2 thumb prints on both of the booklets. The map of winterhaven is absolutely lame, I don't know how 1000 people could live there based on the map.

the adventure has been fun however and is beautiful, however I agree that the interior art is awlful

PeelSeel2

Explorer
I think it is a good module. I have never been one to care about the editing or art. Every RPG product that I have ever bought has editing errors and people grousing about the art. IMO, complaining about stuff like that is like complaining the sun shines. It happens, their is nothing you can do about it. Does that make the sun bad?

Storminator

First Post
JeffB said:
At first I thought it was grossly overpriced- now I'm not so sure-I got to thinking and......

8 years ago we got The Sunless Citadel- 32 pages- B&W 10 bucks

Holding the module it feels really light. The paper is really thin. I looked today and went "my god, it's 80 pages!" Honestly, by weight it feels like 30.

I'm pretty happy with the organization of the thing, and I'll be running it on the 7th. We're going thru Raiders of Oakhurst now, so we're booked!

PS

Remove ads