• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KoTS - Kobold Slinger Drops [Possible Spoiler]

florastar

First Post
So, I'm DMing KoTS, and I've been ad-libbing some of the stuff that WotC failed to give us some insight into (and yes, I rolled a 25 on that check, tyvm).

But one thing has been frustrating the players, and has finally gotten to me... Why do the kobold slingers always have the bandolier with the three ceramic globes on them? They're not magical... I'm assuming they're not for holding the "special" bullets, but every single slinger has them... why? I'm letting my party sell them for cheap, but still, do they even have a purpose? I'm assuming WotC wouldn't just put it in as "flavor", would they?

Any help would be lovely...

- Frustrated DM

Ulthwithian

First Post
Vendor trash. If you note in the text, the bandoliers are in a gray font.

Okay, all joking aside, I'm not exactly sure. I would think that they are for holding the specifal bullets, to give the idea that there is a limited supply of them and show that they are 'ready to fire'.

zoroaster100

First Post
I think the bandolier belt is precisely for holding the "special" bullets, which are ceramic capsules that contain the glue, fire chemical, or stink chemical. The belt is not magical; it merely holds the three special ones so that the kobold can quickly grab them when they don't want to use one of their ordinary sling bullets.

Is "drops" some sort of new jargon for "treasure" or "equipment" -- the new "bling", as it were?

I was expecting this thread to be about kobold slingers falling down.

carmachu

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Is "drops" some sort of new jargon for "treasure" or "equipment" -- the new "bling", as it were?

Uusally used in MMO's to denote treasure that dead monsters drop when killed.

Lizard

Explorer
"Drops" is from MMORPGs by way of MUDs. Monsters have lists of the items they "drop" (the treasure they may leave) which usually have only the vaguest resmeblance to what the monster is visually carrying. Thus, a three foot long snake might drop a pike, fifty silver coins, or a large treasure chest. In addition, many monsters do NOT drop their own body parts, so you might need to kill a hundred Spotted Mountain Kobolds to find, say, four kobold tails.

Lizard said:
"Drops" is from MMORPGs by way of MUDs. Monsters have lists of the items they "drop" (the treasure they may leave) which usually have only the vaguest resmeblance to what the monster is visually carrying. Thus, a three foot long snake might drop a pike, fifty silver coins, or a large treasure chest. In addition, many monsters do NOT drop their own body parts, so you might need to kill a hundred Spotted Mountain Kobolds to find, say, four kobold tails.
;)

Or several dozens of Wolves to get a few wolf pelts.. That was the second quest in my short-lived experiment to see if WoW could hold my interest, using a free test account. (Which might have been another example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I really did hope I would not like WoW. I knew it would become a time sink for me if I would like it.)

Off course, D&D also has these "drops" - All monsters in 3E have a "Treasure" entry that stats stuff like "No", "Standard", "Triple Standard, no Scrolls". Though if you would cut down 12 Kobolds and the DM wouldn't give you 12 kobold tails for it, this either meant
1) Kobolds just don't have tails and someone tricked you into accepting a pointless quest!
2) The DM's need some "reeducation" in form of being pelted with dice. ;)

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
zoroaster100 said:
I think the bandolier belt is precisely for holding the "special" bullets, which are ceramic capsules that contain the glue, fire chemical, or stink chemical. The belt is not magical; it merely holds the three special ones so that the kobold can quickly grab them when they don't want to use one of their ordinary sling bullets.
I think this is correct.

If the PCs manage to kill the slinger before he gets all his special shots off, then I would suppose they could use or sell whatever is left. But we have no rules for that, of course.

Xorn

First Post
The three ceramic globes ARE the special shots. :) So if they use all three, it's just a bandolier then. My rogue player was toting around those bandoliers like crazy in every delve, just throwing the whole bandolier at bad guys. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads