• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS pregen rogue power - Sly Flourish

eleran

First Post
Sly Flourish
At Will - Martial, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee or Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: +8 vs AC
Hit: 1d4+7 damage

The rogue has a basic melee attack of +5 to hit with dagger and ranged basic at +8 to hit with dagger.

Is the Sly Flourish giving him the best of the 2 attacks regardless of whether he throws the dagger or swings it in melee?

Any thoughts on the thinking behind this?

edit: I just looked at Deft strike (the rogues other at will) and it is the same. So my thoughts are that this rogue build uses dexterity as the basis for his powers, others might use STR. That would make up the +3 difference.

So basically it is like getting Weapon Finesse for all the powers?

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
You're missing some information.

Basically, rogue powers have "weapon finesse" built right into them.

Attack bonus for your typical rogue power is going to be

Level bonus + Ability score + Weapon Bonus = Total

Level bonus is zero at level 1.
Ability bonus is the dex bonus.
Weapon bonus for a dagger is +3
And rogues have a special ability that increases that by 1.

So in total, +8 to attacking with a rogue power using a dagger and with this rogue's dex score.

The part of Sly Flourish that is uncertain is the damage. Why +7? Some people are assuming that its Dex + Cha mods. Might be right, I don't know.

eleran

First Post
Cadfan said:
The part of Sly Flourish that is uncertain is the damage. Why +7? Some people are assuming that its Dex + Cha mods. Might be right, I don't know.

I guess I just kind of assumed that behind the scenes it had a formula something like 1[W] + DEX + 3

keterys

First Post
I assume it was W + Dex + Cha, but we'll have to wait to confirm.

It fits for me, though, for encouraging Charisma. (At least for the Charisma type rogues)

Cadfan

First Post
I'm not sure I like it triggering off charisma, because its an at will power. That makes it less useful to Str rogues.

But who knows, maybe Str rogues will get something just as good.

Kordeth

First Post
Cadfan said:
I'm not sure I like it triggering off charisma, because its an at will power. That makes it less useful to Str rogues.

But who knows, maybe Str rogues will get something just as good.

Don't forget the two rogue "builds" suggested in the PH are the Cha-focused rogue and the Str-focused rogue. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't at least one at-will power for each that's made better by having a high score in the relevant secondary ability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads