• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS Question (**spoilers possible**)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If someone's already hit this my apologies for the duplication; but I've yet to see this one asked here (though I am known to miss things on a regular basis...):

In the write-up for the final showdown with Kalarel, in "Tactics" (p. 80) it says:

Kalarel immediately ... at which point he activates the amulet he wears and ...

I can find *no* other reference to this amulet anywhere, yet it is obviously significant to the encounter, to the point that Kalarel somewhat designs his tactics around its use. But, what else does it do (other than what he uses it for in the combat), if anything? Does it function anywhere except in this chamber? What is it made of? What is it worth? Why isn't it listed under "Treasure"?

Inquiring minds - and DMs, and characters - want to know.

Lanefan

Boarstorm

First Post
That is the only mention of it, and yet it seems rather ... necessary... for the encounter to unfold as written.

Strange, neh?

Someone suggested just tossing the power onto his rod, another suggested it's a one-shot thing that is destroyed/depleted after use...

I just see it as convenient DM handwaving to get the character where you want him.

Edit: Muahahaha! My ninja skills are improving. Next thing you know, I'll morph into a panda and have Jack Black surgically inserted into my voicebox.

Family

First Post
My post on the "Official" boards:
Pg 80: "At which point [Kalaral] activates the amulet he wears and teleports to the evil magic circle."

What amulet again? Why wasn't it listed in his equipment? If I stop him from being dragged in [or while he is in the process of] can I take it off of him?

Stats from WotC would be much appreciated. As are anyone's thoughts.

Cake will be provided after a satisfactory responce.

---
Reply:
First off, I'm answering even though I know the cake is a lie.

Treat it like this: The amulet is either a one shot, destroyed on use, item that only teleports Kalaral to the circle once. An escape from the enemies type item, but he uses it here in this encounter to finish the ritual the pc's are trying to disrupt. Or, replace 'amulet he wears' with 'rod he wields' and be done with it.

NINJA!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Family said:
My post on the "Official" boards:
Pg 80: "At which point [Kalaral] activates the amulet he wears and teleports to the evil magic circle."

What amulet again? Why wasn't it listed in his equipment? If I stop him from being dragged in [or while he is in the process of] can I take it off of him?

Stats from WotC would be much appreciated. As are anyone's thoughts.

---
Reply:

Treat it like this: The amulet is either a one shot, destroyed on use, item that only teleports Kalaral to the circle once. An escape from the enemies type item, but he uses it here in this encounter to finish the ritual the pc's are trying to disrupt. Or, replace 'amulet he wears' with 'rod he wields' and be done with it.
We-ell, that's convenient, I suppose...if not very exciting. :)

As the treasure for such an important opponent seems rather light, I think I'd make it at least something of value, even if it used its last charge to get Kalarel across the room. (that said, we don't yet know all the item pricing; if the buying power of 981 g.p. has increased dramatically over earlier editions then maybe the treasure's not so light...)

Lanefan

Lurker59

First Post
Actually the table for magic item prices had been worked out (seemingly). The gold from the altar is just shy of the value of a 5th level item (1000 gold). With the sale price of item being so low this is a significant stash, considering the PCs can use it anyway they'd like.

Remove ads