• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS - replacing Aecris

Klaus

First Post
So my PCs got hold of Aecris, Sir Keegan's sword. But it's a simple +1 magis longsword with a daily power (when you drop an undead to 0 hp, gain a healing surge). Rather underwhelming. Any suggestions of what to replace it with? I'm leaning towards a +1 sunblade.

I already replaced other items in the adventure (+1 symbol of battle and +1 dagger became +1 pact blade and +1 sylvan armor).

And since I'm asking, any suggestions to replace Kalarel's +2 dagger?

Gruns

Explorer
I also thought Aecris was pretty underwhelming for a "named" item. I completely changed it up and turned it into a Heroic level artifact. As I have a paladin in my party that worships Bahamut, this was a perfect fit for him. Unfortunately, he died before he really got to advance the sword much, and when he was ressurected, the sword had moved on, realizing that it obviously hadn't found the chosen one.
Not sure how well this is going to format, but here goes...

Aecris
Aecris is a +1 Longsword with the following properties and powers.
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls.
Critical: +1d6 damage, +1d10 vs evil enemies.
Power (Daily): Free Action. When you drop an evil enemy to 0 hit points, you gain one Healing Surge.

CONCORDANCE
Starting Score: 5
Owner gains a level: +1d10
Owner worships Bahamut: +2
Owner kills an evil creature (maximum 1/day): +1
Owner attacks a non-marking target while marked: -1
Owner flees from an encounter vs evil: -2
Owner commits an evil act: -5

Pleased (16-20)
“For great justice! Evil doers tremble in my presence!”
The artifact’s enhancement bonus becomes +2.
Power (Daily): Immediate Interrupt. You can use this ability when an ally within 5 squares of you is attacked. The attack misses all of your allies it targets, but automatically hits you even if you weren’t a target of the attack.
Property: This weapon gives off bright light in a 5 square radius unless covered and sheathed.

Satisfied (12-15)
“The sword finds me worthy.”
Power (At-Will • Radiant): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is radiant damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power (Encounter): Minor Action. Until the end of your next turn, each creature marked by you cannot make an attack that does not include you.
Property: This weapon gives off dim light in a 2 square radius unless covered and sheathed.

Normal (5-11)
“The sword seeks my assistance in vanquishing evil wherever it may hide.”

Unsatisfied (1-4)
“I am disappointing the sword – and Bahamut.”
Special: You take a -2 penalty to attack rolls and damage rolls against non-evil creatures.

Angered (0 or lower)
“Fail.”
Special: You take a -5 penalty to attack rolls and damage rolls against non-evil creatures.

Moving On
The sword moves on the next time the wielder levels after obtaining Pleased status. The sword telepathically indicates that Bahamut has much bigger plans for the wielder, and to seek out a secret temple. A map to said temple is found in the sword’s place.

Nail

First Post
So my PCs got hold of Aecris, Sir Keegan's sword. But it's a simple +1 magis longsword with a daily power (when you drop an undead to 0 hp, gain a healing surge). Rather underwhelming. Any suggestions of what to replace it with? I'm leaning towards a +1 sunblade.
I did this (attached).

I think the trick here is to *slightly* expand the sword's powers, while maintaining the theme. It should be different than anything the players can look up in the PH or AV.

IMO.

Attachments

• Acris - Bane of Undeath.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

+1 sword

In my heavily modified version of KotS, suceeding in a skill challenge convinces Sir Keegan that the party is willing and able of stopping Karalel & Co. and gives them a whole level´s worth of treasure (I try to avoid the "every encounter drops loot" thing)

Included in Sir Keegan´s vault was a +1 Vicious Longsword

dayknight

First Post
I changed Aecris into Kinkiller a +1 Lifedrinker and gave them a quest that will after completion will turn Kinkiller back into Aecris. I haven't statted out the new Aecris but it will be the end reward of a 6th/7th level quest.

I left the level 5 version alone but allowed it to be upgrade later to gain +1d10 hit points at paragon and +2d10 and two surges at epic.

I like the extra crit damage vs evil (although that's a lot of creatures). The artifact is interesting too although I'd have to see how balanced I think that is. After further review, I like it, although I'd probably have to write a different moving on, possibly just leaving the wielder with the satisfied version and call it a level+4 item that can be upgraded normally.

xazil

Explorer
My reward to the paladin wielding Aecris for taking out Kalarel and stopping the ritual was an upgrade to +2 and when it crits, the 2d6 bonus damage are now considered radiant damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads