• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS - Spoiler Kobold ability - question...

Markn

First Post
Another strange example

OK, so here is another one for everyone to ponder.

The Gravehound Zombie on pg 60 of KotS has an ability called Death Jaws which is an immediate reaction when he is reduced to 0 hp allowing it to make a bite attack against the target.

If the rogue from the same adventure uses his Bait and Switch power or his Positioning Strike or Trick Strike I would have to rule that the Gravehound Zombie would not be able to use its Death Jaws as once each of these powers resolves the Gravehound Zombie is no longer next to the rogue. Assuming of course no one else is adjacent to the GZ.

MindWanderer

First Post
Markn said:
Here is how it works:

Once the cleric is done moving next to the Dragonshield and no longer wants to move, his move action is over. It's at this point that the Dragonshield can then shift. Basically, the triggering action has to completely resolve before the immediate reaction can take place. So in this case, the cleric moves, chooses not to move any further and declares that action done. Then the Dragonshield shifts. At this point, the cleric chooses to either change his remaining standard action to a move action so he can adjacent to the Dragonshield (but forgoes his attack as he gave it up to move again) or chooses to attack with a range weapon.
Based on Mousferatu's and Logan's recent comments, I believe this to be incorrect. They were talking about readied actions, but according to the DDXP rules primer, readied actions are treated as immediate reactions. That means that immediate reactions can interrupt a move. So the DragonShield Tactics would take place before the move action is officially ended, and if the PC has movement remaining, they can use it.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
We had this problem till the Warlord learned just what Viperstrike could do. Funny thing is the Kolbolds all have shifty which allows them to take their minor action doing a shift. And they would! Move, hit, shift. Frustrated the Paladin and Fighter to no end.

Markn

First Post
OK, so I emailed Logan at WotC to get some sort of ruling on this...

Here is my email and here is his response:

I *think* you treat each square of movement separately, so option 1 would be
correct.

On 5/25/08 11:23 AM, "Mark Nagel" <mark.nagel@eswilliams.com> wrote:

> There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding this ability and how
> exactly it interacts with immediate reactions. Immediate reactions state that
> they don't interrupt the action and they must resolve. So which of these two
> would be correct.
>
> Option 1 - PC is 3 squares away from Dragonshield and moves towards him. Once
> the PC gets adjacent the DS shifts 1 square away but the PC still has movement
> so he moves 1 more square then attacks.
>
> Option 2 - Same set up but the PC moves adjacent to the DS not intending to
> move anymore so his move action is done. The DS shifts and now the PC is 1
> square away with a standard action left. He could then turn it into a move
> action and get close (giving up an attack) or attack with a range
> weapon/power.
>
> I think the issue is that people are unsure of "The triggering action is
> completely resolved before you take your reaction" to mean the action as in
> standard/move/minor or action as in, finish moving adjacent, then DS shifts and
> then finish your movement.

So, unless I see any other official clarification, I would say that is as official as it gets right now!

Remove ads