Krauss' Age of Worms (Act I) - The Whispering Cairn

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Kenneth's ears perk at the sound of Gregor's observation. "Something glowing?" he asks excitedly. "Is it moving? What color is it? Hear anything?" Kenneth puts his hand to his ear, as if to amplify any sound from the north.

"Let's go, then!" Kenneth drops his hand to his side and falls into step beside Azten. "I wonder what it could be?" he whispers to the dwarf, wide eyes scanning the cavern walls.
OOC - Listen check +1, Spot check ABYSSAL

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

“You saw it, too? The green light? Wonder what it was...” Alexi says, eager to press on, but smart enough not to rush headless into danger.

Mista Collins

First Post
"Light? In here? Where?" Owen asks as Gregor and Alexi seem to be staring farther down the corridor.

"Careful everyone, that bedroll could very well belong to a local teenage girl that went missing about 6 years ago. The last thing I want is for anyone else to go missing." Owen states with a hint of sarcasm and an innocent look towards Kenneth and his over eagerness.

Removing his hat to wipe the sweat from forehead Owen tries to hide his nervousness. As the rest of the group heads forward, Owen will take point and carefully search the path to make certain that their path is clear of any unseen dangers.

OOC: Search of +7

Azten

First Post
Responding to Kenneth's whispered question : I do not know what it is - My line of sight is as limited as yours. But it seems to me nothing good can be glowing green underground in an abandoned cairn.

Figuring that the other members of the party more able to deal with any physical threat than he is, Azten follows behind and holds on to his holy symbol, trusting in Moradin to give him courage.

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Azten said:
I'd like to head over to the other alcove and look around briefly for anything of interest.

(Spot +3, with an additional +2 for Stonecunning if stonework is involved)

If nothing is found, then I say Anyone find anything? Let's head on.

The eastern alcove is similar to its western counterpart (except no bedroll), containing a circular depression with four small anchoring holes along its periphery. As before, the object once mounted here is long gone.

Satisfied that there is nothing more to explore in this entry area, the party moves northward, deeper into the cairn. Owen's lamp lights the way, as he searches carefully for dangers.

The passage comes to another four-way intersection. The same patterned bands run along the walls here, and the flickering green light can still be seen ahead to the north, somewhere further into the cairn.

The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform, its curved ovular frame giving the appearance of a noble's dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a man's head has been delicately carved into the baseplate of the support platform.

Fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom. It looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris.

(OOC: In addition to the map, I've included a picture of the broken apparatus in the western alcove.)

Actions?

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 252
  • apparatus.JPG
    apparatus.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Mista Collins

First Post
Setting his lantern on the ground next to the apparatus, Owen examines the thing further. Running his hand down from the top of the frame to the base where the arcane symbol carved. Kneeling near the symbol, Owens tries to recall anything he might have heard, read, or seen resembling something such as this.

(OOC: Knowledge for Arcane, History, Local, Nature, etc of +3 - Jack of All Trades feat)

"Kenneth, do any of your crazy stories mention things like this?" Owen says as he looks over his shoulder to the rest of the group. His eyes fall on Gregor. "If we decide it might be worth it, we could try and drag this apparatus out of here to sell." A sarcastic smile from ear to ear fills Owen's face.

Azten

First Post
Being not really that interested in a broken arcane apparatus, Azten's curiosity is more piqued by the cave-in.

"The walls have seemed to be in pretty good structural shape so far - I wonder what made this rockfall. A sprung trap perhaps? Azten thinks to himself.
Hey guys, I'm going to poke around the rockfall a bit to see what caused it. Yell if you need me.

OOC: If the party wants him to look at the device, he'll wander over to have a look and has a Knowledge(Arcane)+4 and (Religion) +6 if they apply.

Thanee

First Post
Alexi

Alexi scrutinizes the strange apparatus with curious eyes, but being unable to discern, what it might be, she asks her friends and companions: “Anyone know what this might've been good for? Looks like part of a frame to hold a large mirror to me.”

Remove ads