• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Krod Mandoon - Fantasy show - Comedy Central

F5

Explorer
It's definitely one of those comedy central series that makes you laugh...but you feel slightly guilty for thinking it's funny.

I did like the way it played with some pretty standared Sword and Sorcery fantasy tropes.

"My father inscribed the runes on my scabbard"

"Voshod Doth Nesath Thagrok? What does it mean?"

"...It's gibberish. My father was illiterate."

This made me laugh. The "One arrow can't kill General Arcadius!" bit was good too.

I also got a kind of a Blackadder vibe from the villain scenes. Overall, the best performance of the show.

The pole dance scene was a little bit gratuitous, but the way they superimposed it with Krod writing his hokey love letter made it funny.

Meowzebub

First Post
Our best laugh out loud moment was when the assassin burst in the barn.

Krod: Hey, if you are here for Millie, I could just leave.

I know that doesn't make much sense to someone who hasn't watched it yet, but I don't want to spoil a very funny moment. I am laughing now just thinking about it.

Wycen

Explorer
That's another claim that might get me watching. Do you mean this in earnest?

In earnest? I did use a winking smily, but let me give it some further thought.

I must admit to being a lapsed fan, I haven't watched any Black Adder in years.

The casual and misplaced violence makes me think of Little Britain. The only individuals who perish without a joke are nameless bodies off in the distance or...wait a minute, the peasants were part of a joke while they were dying, so I guess I can't finish that sentence.

I don't know if that is what you wanted Mark.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It's definitely one of those comedy central series that makes you laugh...but you feel slightly guilty for thinking it's funny.

It can't be as bad as Drawn Together in that department, can it? :eek:

Okay. I think I see what everyone means. I will try to give it a go.When I am later described as having come to the show kicking and screaming, please remember I was fully clothed open minded.

Graybeard

Explorer
My wife and I watched it last night. We found several scenes to be pretty funny but others were pretty dumb. Overall, I would say we will watch the next episode. Hopefully the series won't get too dumb.

Shroomy

Adventurer
A lot of reviews described the show as something akin to a Mel Brooks movie, so there's a lot of stuff that just falls flat and a lot of stuff that will make you fall out of your seat laughing. I pretty much agree with that assessment, and there were plenty of jokes that hit their target, making the show worthwhile ("It will take more than one arrow to kill General Arkadius!). Plus, that woman who plays Anika is super hawt...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found it OK at best.

I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to Black Adder, Mel Brooks or Monty Python, but I would say its kind of like a more risque, almost "South Park"-ed version of Princess Bride.

My main issue is that too much of the stuff was just retreads of things I've seen before (often better), and some of the actors seemed over or under utilized.

I had seen the guy who played the wizard do stand-up- he's really funny in that mode- but he seemed wasted in his recurring joke.

The General Arkadius' death joke has been done before- at the very least, it was done in Jason X ("It'll take more than that to kill an old sergeant! *stabitty-stab* gasp...that ought to do it.") and I'm sure its been done elsewhere as well.

And I'm sure there will be some pagans who don't care for the way whatshername was depicted.

I will confess, though, that I loved the line about Krod's dad inscribing "gibberish" on the sword...

So I'll give it at least one more look-see.

Krug

Newshound
Yeah as others have said, hit and miss, but at least kept me interested enough to check the next ep. With 20 or so minutes the storytelling could be improved with more tightening.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I don't mind the fact that some of the jokes are from other sources, or are so widespread that they can't be traced to any particular source. After all, how many times has Mel Brookes ripped off old Vaudeville routines? I can't even count the number of times he's use the "walk this way" joke, or some variation on it.

Remove ads