L&L: Putting the Vance in Vancian

Hassassin

First Post
And this is the real nut of the matter right here folks.

Modularity can perhaps work in a sense, but it can't be meaningful.

Yes it can. Character creation and abilities can be almost completely modular without affecting adventure design.

For the designer it doesn't matter whether your fighter uses a normal attack, the Power Attack feat or the Brute Strike power, as long as it helps kill the orc. It doesn't matter whether you resolve the combat in half an hour on a grid or five minutes without one.

However, it matters to the character and player how those abilities are gained, how they work, what resources are involved. It matters to the group how much fun they derive from the combat and how much time they use on it.

Different modular options just have to be balanced and use the same monster and challenge entries (including DCs).

Odhanan

Adventurer
Point 1: bravo for not only being someone who prefers a Simulationist agenda (in the Forge sense of the term) but also clearly understands what that means.
Welcome. I try to resist using this type of jargon because I think this is fundamentally divisive. I don't believe you (or me or anyone) are either a Simulationist OR a Narrativist OR a Gamist. I like to solve tactical situations in the game world as my character, I like to strategize and come up with a plan with the other PCs to overcome obstacles: does that make me a Simulationist, or a Gamist? The answer IMO is "both" AND "neither."

The Forge had this point that games had to be "coherent", that is, they should appeal to one particular segment of GNS and that's it. If you are mixing bits and pieces of each of these descriptors into your design then your design is "incoherent", you're screwing with the game's "creative agenda", and that's "bad".

I can't disagree more with this. I think this is absolutely, fundamentally stupid. I think that a game like D&D pulls some of its strength from the fact it can appeal to a wide variety of gamers in widely different ways, and that's an "incoherence", from the Forge's POV, that it should absolutely RETAIN if it wants to keep on succeeding in the future.

How you create a core game that is basically satisfying to all these audiences AND then bring to the table specific modules which alter or modify the core to really help people who want a particular style at their game table is the real trick here.

Point 2: how do you find levels, hit points and experience points synchronise with your "make believe"? I have always found these to be a barrier to immersion/Sim-focussed play with D&D.
There's this idea out there that basically when you are a "Simulationist" you are just interested in the rules as a Physics Engine. That it's "Sim" as in "Simulation of RL". I think that's a wrong assumption.

What is, however, important is that the rules make sense from the World's point of view, whether we are talking about a RL inspired setting, or a completely off the wall crazy setting, there has to be some coherence in what the rules actually simulate. And again, it can be anything, it does not presupposes that it would have to be "Reality".

I always liked D&D's abstractions. I think it's a great way to bring people in, rather than reject them. The more the game engages in tetrapyloctomy and tries to erase these abstractions, the more specific it becomes, the less it is going to appeal to a wide variety of people, IMO.

But abstraction doesn't mean that the rules are divorced from the game world. They are still simulating aspects of it, albeit in abstract ways you can make sense of if you think about them a little bit. I consequently have no problem with Hit Points, Experience, ACs and the like, personally.

Point 3: I can say from personal experience that Gamist and Simulationist play can both be enjoyed by the same person. I still find them difficult to mix - in Hârn, for example, I houserule out potential Gamist drivers or a Gamist focus begins to creep in - but I really enjoy playing both HârnMaster and D&D 4E; I just do so with very different expectations and aims.
I think the notion that these "play styles" or "inclinations" we're describing are strict delimitations in the actual brains of real people is ludicrous. I further think that the notion these "play styles" or "inclinations" should be clearly delimited in your brain otherwise you are fundamentally "brain-damaged", "like a rape victim is," by the "incoherent" games you've played before is frankly outrageous, insulting, but more than that, a completely counter-intuitive idea when it comes to discussing what's actually going on for gamers playing an RPG in real time, and therefore how games should be designed to catter to their particular inclinations, however gloriously "incoherent" they truly are.

I think that people are more complex than the Forge would like to think. They like to say, hang out together, eat Cheetos and roll dice, and ALSO happen to want to be able to immerse in their character when they want to, WHILE enjoying the strategic challenge of the campaign, etc. It's not either/or stuff.

The real problem with the Forge's rhetoric is that it makes these "agenda" oppose each other, to the point where it posits that some of these "agenda" are either inferior, or simply do not exist! As was the case when Ron Edwards started postulating that Simulationism really doesn't exist, and that in fact people sharing its inclinations are simply "unaware" that they "do" have a creative agenda and that if they opened their eyes, it'd be clear they're either Narrativists or Gamists.

That right there is total bullcrap that is uber-divisive in nature, and I won't stand for that. I'll avoid the rant, but basically, I think that the whole GNS theory is absolute garbage because it is poisoned by this sort of divisive thinking at the well. I think the Threefold model can be useful to talk broadly, THEORETICALLY, about gamer inclinations, but it is FAR from being an accurate model, or the only model that could or would matter to actually try to describe the complex reality of gaming and gamers.

Last edited:

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Just remember who said it, and look at the Runepriest vs the Fighter. The logic is clear.
Yes, the logic IS clear.

You claimed that some classes would be unavailable for organised play.

Hmm, have they banned the runepriest? No. Didn't think so.

So, umm, yeah. Your claim, the claim that you wouldn't be able to play non-vancian classes at organised games, was wrong.

I don't deny some will get more support than others. But they won't be banning warlocks from organised play for not being vancian.

You are being illogically pessimistic.

Yes, the logic IS clear.

You claimed that some classes would be unavailable for organised play.

Hmm, have they banned the runepriest? No. Didn't think so.

So, umm, yeah. Your claim, the claim that you wouldn't be able to play non-vancian classes at organised games, was wrong.

I don't deny some will get more support than others. But they won't be banning warlocks from organised play for not being vancian.

You are being illogically pessimistic.

Well, first the RP was an example of what happens when a game option isn't that popular. It simply gets no more (or trivially little) support and becomes even MORE unpopular because who's going to play the option that gets no support.

Also, non-Essentials classes aren't supported in most organized play, at least officially. You aren't supposed to use them in Encounters for instance. This is however a bit different situation, since the pre-E classes WERE the main line of support. There's a very great difference between SERIAL support and PARALLEL support. When options appear serially and are each well supported for a while and then WotC goes on to something else the old thing doesn't become less supported or less playable.

This is totally different from "OK, here's your 40 Vancian AD&D style open-ended spells" and that's all you ever get because 4e-style AEDU power wizards were more popular (which actually probably means that they were just better supported on day one and so people played them more).

This process is virtually inevitable. It is just basic business reality. WotC WILL face a choice. They will have to choose between putting out material that supports ALL the options and thus making each product more expensive, or simply choosing one and supporting it exclusively or mostly, at which point it becomes effectively THE main option. Support will inevitably narrow more and more as certain options simply get more support for whatever reasons (choice or happenstance, whatever). Those trends are self-reinforcing and pretty soon you only have one set that are really meaningfully supported. Trust me, it will happen. It will particularly happen with magic systems as they're the most extensive and resource intensive parts of the system to support.

[MENTION=6675228]Hassassin[/MENTION] It really depends. Many 3.x fans will tell you that having the NPCs made to the same specs as the PCs is a 'must have'. Thus they will want NPCs made using their preferred options. 4e people generally aren't too fond of that notion.

As for adventures, well, if you're running low level adventures, yeah, then there's a certain point where its an orc and who cares. The thing is you can't simply assume that higher level PCs won't have options that obviate or bypass things, or that other assumptions like resource management and pacing match up with the options you're using. You're also going to have a sort of 'lowest common denominator' thing going on. For instance in 1e modules never use or assume psionics because it is optional. In fact higher level modules that have a fair number of monsters that have optional psionics are almost unplayable if you use the 1e psionics rules with them. This is a small example.

Don't get me wrong, I think some limited numbers of optional rules are feasible. I think you can make 'core' systems that support 'modules' that let you play in different genre (BRP is used in a lot of different Chaosium games, or of course the classic case, GURPS). I just do not believe you can effectively maintain a whole set of parallel options that cover the same ground and are intended to be used together with the same material, especially if you are going to try to actually balance them against each other.

It just isn't going to work. The best they will end up being able to do is create several marginally supported options in the core PHB and some nominal degree of support for each one beyond that for a while. Then they'll just have to hope or assume that the less popular options are picked up by 3PPs and that people will be happy with that while they focus on the one most popular option that will in their minds maybe give them a hope of being #1 RPG again. So, some of us will be playing D&D, and some of us will be playing 3PP semi-D&D, at which point one has to ask if we might not just go try out Savage Worlds or something... lol.

Balesir

Adventurer
That's basically what I was trying to explain. I think BG gets it.
I'm not going to get into a Forge debate again because railing against "what Ron Edwards says" makes any useful discussion hopeless, in my experience. Suffice to say I find the model itself useful, and, no, it does not describe players' "type" or "taste in RPGs".

My question, therefore, tried to stick with practical, in-play issues. I'm not really talking about being "like the real world", or "being a physics engine", either. Just about a system that fully supports a consistent game world. Hit points and levels always come to a point of dissonance, for me, where they don't any longer describe any sort of world I can believe in from an "immersed in the world" standpoint. I realise this is a persoanl thing - as is more-or-less everything around immersion-led play "suspension of disbelief".

The central issue, I think, is that hit points necessarily mean that a character reaches a point where any meaningful damage will kill/incapacitate, and high level characters will always be able to walk away from damage that would kill in any plausible milieu. If the damage is defined after the mechanical effects have been resolved, this can work fine, but I have never managed to play using character immersion where the system worked this way.

Thus, I have always found that systems where a wound is something separate from all other wounds you may have, and is dangerous to some degree in itself, works better for immersionist play.

P.S.: Out of curiosity - do you use random characteristic and spell/item/etc. determination for character generation when you play? I think I may be seeing some threads, here, but it is, as you say, hugely complex (and often unnecessarily vague, IMO, but still...)

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
I'm not going to get into a Forge debate again because railing against "what Ron Edwards says" makes any useful discussion hopeless, in my experience. Suffice to say I find the model itself useful, and, no, it does not describe players' "type" or "taste in RPGs".
You're right it's best to steer clear from these sorts of arguments/debates, because then we won't have finished in time for supper, as they say! ;)

My question, therefore, tried to stick with practical, in-play issues. I'm not really talking about being "like the real world", or "being a physics engine", either. Just about a system that fully supports a consistent game world. Hit points and levels always come to a point of dissonance, for me, where they don't any longer describe any sort of world I can believe in from an "immersed in the world" standpoint. I realise this is a persoanl thing - as is more-or-less everything around immersion-led play "suspension of disbelief".
I think I get what you're saying in that we are seemingly speaking the same language and share some concerns of verisimilitude as far as the game's rules are concerned.

I don't have the same issues as you do, however. Maybe it's a question of how much abstraction we are comfortable playing with, you and I? It's always been clear to me Hit Points didn't represent wounds, or that levels are something abstract that represent the adventurer's experience of the dangers that lie beyond and how he deals with them, how far removed from level-0 normality he really is, if you will, or that AC is itself an abstraction of numerous elements and not just "how hard you are to hit".

I do have concerns regarding immersion and suspension of disbelief, however, and some mechanics generally rub me the wrong way towards that end (like bennies or fate points allowing you to change the scenery or "edit scenes", power attrition based solely on game balance or narrative concerns, and so on.

The central issue, I think, is that hit points necessarily mean that a character reaches a point where any meaningful damage will kill/incapacitate, and high level characters will always be able to walk away from damage that would kill in any plausible milieu. If the damage is defined after the mechanical effects have been resolved, this can work fine, but I have never managed to play using character immersion where the system worked this way.
I'm not sure I can relate (as in, I don't think I'm grasping your point fully because I don't share the same experiences and POV, so I might get it wrong).

To me, hit points are a compound. They represent a number of things, like say fatigue, energy, health, the will to go on, and so on, so forth. This abstraction works fine for me in many ways, and I don't think there's much of an issue when some very particular corner cases create some dissonances on that level of abstraction (I'm thinking of the case of falling damage for instance which is usually referenced when talking about problems with the abstraction of HP). I think that generally, things start going wrong if you interpret HPs to be only one thing at the exclusion of the others: if you only interpret them as fatigue, then things like bigger weapons doing bigger damage will start not to make sense; if on the contrary you interpret them as pure wounds, then other stuff like the Warlord "shouting people back to health" stop making sense.

So it's all about keeping the abstraction intact when you have rules that deal with HPs IMO. Take for instance Healing Surges. As an abstraction they are fine with me... up to a certain point. The problem with them is if, for instance, you were to recuperate ALL your hit points that way, exclusively. Then you're basically saying "all hit points damage can be healed by shaking stuff off and taking a breather" which doesn't compute with me at all: one part of the abstraction is favored to the exclusion of its other parts, as if cuts were closing magically, bruises became brown instead of purplish blue in a matter of minutes, and so on. So some abstraction of a second wind that allows you to recuperate HP damage, I'm fine with, or the Warlord's ability to heal people by helping them out, giving them back the force to fight, that's cool too. When it starts getting wonky is when ALL damage can be healed that way, or that the recuperation rate is so high that characters basically can heal all the damage they took in a matter of seconds, minutes, hours, a day or two at most. That's wrong and that creates problems with my suspension of disbelief, a problem I do not experience at all when talking about CLW spells and potions because these spells' effects are up to interpretation, and may represent the same compound of effects as HP themselves do (a Cure Light Wound potion might reinvigorate you, heal some of your cuts, make you feel psychologically better... all at the same time, so the abstraction remains intact).

I believe there's an excluded middle here somewhere. What I hope is that stuff like Healing Surges will be available for those that want them, but that then there will be discussion in the rules book about what surges are, with possibilities for the DM to decide what value of HP recuperation he can attach to each surge, and how that affects the rest of the game's HP economy from there. Then the DM (and players together) can decide what amount of abstraction is cool for the game table, and what isn't.

I hope the game achieves that in terms of modularity (note the same could be said of this or that choice or option regarding save-or-die effects, or level drain, or whatnot: provide options to the DM, not necessarily this option to the exclusion of others, but several choices/options with the explanations that make such choices meaningful for a DM to make in the way he wants to play the game his way, not WotC's way): that some of the very fundamental aspects of the game can be tailored to the needs and inclinations of particular players at particular tables, and thus will be able to play "your D&D" however you see fit, without necessarily jeopardizing the whole structure of the rules and game in the process, but by being conscious of what each choice between this or that option or module entail, and how that affects the rest of the game's play. That'd be fantastic to have.

Thus, I have always found that systems where a wound is something separate from all other wounds you may have, and is dangerous to some degree in itself, works better for immersionist play.
I really think our difference is the level of abstraction we are ready to deal with. Your threshold on that level seems to be lower than mine. Would you agree with that, from where you're standing?

P.S.: Out of curiosity - do you use random characteristic and spell/item/etc. determination for character generation when you play? I think I may be seeing some threads, here, but it is, as you say, hugely complex (and often unnecessarily vague, IMO, but still...)
Yup. Random stats (4d6 drop lowest in AD&D generally, and 3d6 in order with OD&D), spells as per DMG (that is, you get some automatic spells plus some random ones).

From my experience transitioning from a 3rd edition game format to a 0e/1e format, I'd say that interestingly enough my players have been more enthused by random generation. When you deal with point-buy and those kinds of things, it requires the player to know and understand what the currency means, what amount of points equates to that rating and so on, whereas when you roll, that's it: you've got your scores generated and you're done. My wife actually prefers random, 3d6-in-order stat generation because as she says "it's really cool: you see what the dice of the universe throw at you, and then you make the best of it!" That's how she played her first fighter ever and LOVED it, btw.

Last edited:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
@Hassassin It really depends. Many 3.x fans will tell you that having the NPCs made to the same specs as the PCs is a 'must have'. Thus they will want NPCs made using their preferred options. 4e people generally aren't too fond of that notion.

As for adventures, well, if you're running low level adventures, yeah, then there's a certain point where its an orc and who cares. The thing is you can't simply assume that higher level PCs won't have options that obviate or bypass things, or that other assumptions like resource management and pacing match up with the options you're using. You're also going to have a sort of 'lowest common denominator' thing going on. For instance in 1e modules never use or assume psionics because it is optional. In fact higher level modules that have a fair number of monsters that have optional psionics are almost unplayable if you use the 1e psionics rules with them. This is a small example.

Being able to make the NPCs as PCs is what they say is a "must have". But anyone that wants that can do it in 4E today. Anyone that will not buy over that issue is really saying, "I don't want the DM to be able to do anything that I can't do, and vice versa," for whatever reason. There is no way that any set of rules will cater to that group 100% with adventures, unless that is all the adventures do. So no, people adamant about that are not going to get what they want--and justly so, since it is ultimately a demand that a system designed to be modular sacrifice huge chuncks of the design goal to satisfy them and only them. This is especially true since the only version of D&D being emulated that has even part of that particular aspect is the 3.*/PF family.

That said, I do thing there is some room for modular rules in adventures. The Iron Crown Enterprises "Shadow World" didn't do a bad job mechanically supporting both Fantasy Hero and Rolemaster, and those are two totally separate system. You can have your orcs as "just orcs" in most places, but then also have a few options tossed onto the orc shaman or chieftan. Nothing wrong with the standard bugbear having "Sneaky +3" in the skill sections--which you can then use in the optional skill system, use only as flavor for the straight ability check, or ignore entirely.

Things like psionics are another issue entirely. Now we aren't talking about modular for how something plays, but modular for genre and feel. Of course you can't litter an adventure with psionic stuff and make it perfect for people who don't like psionics. That was true in any version. I remember several 2E Dungeon adventures that had a few notes on how and what to swap out to remove the psionic, but it didn't do the work for you.

As for unpopular things not getting used much ... I'm not seeing the downside. :p People who like unpopular things have always had to do the retrofitting themselves. Having modular systems can make this more palatable, but it can't make it seemless.

Being able to make the NPCs as PCs is what they say is a "must have". But anyone that wants that can do it in 4E today. Anyone that will not buy over that issue is really saying, "I don't want the DM to be able to do anything that I can't do, and vice versa," for whatever reason. There is no way that any set of rules will cater to that group 100% with adventures, unless that is all the adventures do. So no, people adamant about that are not going to get what they want--and justly so, since it is ultimately a demand that a system designed to be modular sacrifice huge chuncks of the design goal to satisfy them and only them. This is especially true since the only version of D&D being emulated that has even part of that particular aspect is the 3.*/PF family.

That said, I do thing there is some room for modular rules in adventures. The Iron Crown Enterprises "Shadow World" didn't do a bad job mechanically supporting both Fantasy Hero and Rolemaster, and those are two totally separate system. You can have your orcs as "just orcs" in most places, but then also have a few options tossed onto the orc shaman or chieftan. Nothing wrong with the standard bugbear having "Sneaky +3" in the skill sections--which you can then use in the optional skill system, use only as flavor for the straight ability check, or ignore entirely.

Things like psionics are another issue entirely. Now we aren't talking about modular for how something plays, but modular for genre and feel. Of course you can't litter an adventure with psionic stuff and make it perfect for people who don't like psionics. That was true in any version. I remember several 2E Dungeon adventures that had a few notes on how and what to swap out to remove the psionic, but it didn't do the work for you.

As for unpopular things not getting used much ... I'm not seeing the downside. :p People who like unpopular things have always had to do the retrofitting themselves. Having modular systems can make this more palatable, but it can't make it seemless.

I'm just saying, the game is not going to satisfy everyone or even quite a few people simply by being 'modular'. YOU may find the 3e 'NPCs must follow the same rules' people kind of ridiculous and not in need of being catered to, but those people will want 1PP material that works that way. Maybe most are not too extreme about it, but I think you can easily find threads full of debate about it right here on Enworld.

My point about psionics is that if you wanted to use psionics in 1e then SOME modules would need rewriting in some degree. Of course psionics were not used a lot, so it was not a big deal. Now substitute "Vancian Casting with open-ended spells" for "psionics" and 5e for '1e'... It has nothing to do with genre feel.

Otherwise, no, I don't totally disagree with you. You can do a bit of this and that, but honestly the real struggle here is over 'feel' of the game and how people play it. I don't understand how a game that tries to modularize that in some fashion can work. It has to eventually pick a style of game that it supports. Believe me, the best they can do is produce an edition that pleases the largest splinter group around, and MAYBE mollifies some others enough that they buy it still.

I don't understand the point.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'm just saying, the game is not going to satisfy everyone or even quite a few people simply by being 'modular'. YOU may find the 3e 'NPCs must follow the same rules' people kind of ridiculous and not in need of being catered to, but those people will want 1PP material that works that way. Maybe most are not too extreme about it, but I think you can easily find threads full of debate about it right here on Enworld.

My point about psionics is that if you wanted to use psionics in 1e then SOME modules would need rewriting in some degree. Of course psionics were not used a lot, so it was not a big deal. Now substitute "Vancian Casting with open-ended spells" for "psionics" and 5e for '1e'... It has nothing to do with genre feel.

Otherwise, no, I don't totally disagree with you. You can do a bit of this and that, but honestly the real struggle here is over 'feel' of the game and how people play it. I don't understand how a game that tries to modularize that in some fashion can work. It has to eventually pick a style of game that it supports. Believe me, the best they can do is produce an edition that pleases the largest splinter group around, and MAYBE mollifies some others enough that they buy it still.

I don't understand the point.

Well, a lot of people want things they aren't going to get. I want all the art done in several styles, ranging from say, circa 1500 Italy to French impressionism, and never a touch of certain of the more iconic artists. I'm not going to get what I want. :D

I'm not saying that wanting all NPCs to be built like PCs is inherently ridiculous. I'm saying that demanding that out of a modular game attempting to emulate the feel of all editions of D&D--is not going to happen. They might, though I doubt it, manage to put in some things that convey the feel of NPCs being more like PCs, by means other than building them the same, but ultimately that is up to the portrayal of the NPCs by the DM. In any case, that claim is a proxy for "Make it like 3.*/PF, only better". The chances of that are about the same as my chances of getting the art I want.

But on the larger point, as I believe I've even seen you write a few times, no, people who really, really prefer 4E, 3E, 2E, or even certain aspects of BECMI or 1E--will probably not find 5E their favorite version. After all, someone that "all in" for their current preference is hard to please more with anything new. I've sailed through countless iterations of soft drinks, rival brands, etc. I'm still drinking classic Mt Dew by preference. Someone pushing another brand or selling Mt Dew in red are not after me. :D

I just don't believe that most gamers are as locked-in as all that. I think most of us like things that work, that do a pretty good job of doing what we want. If something goes after a "feel" from a new angle, we might like that too. I keep saying that D&D versions are like planets in the solar system, because I think there is a lot of untapped, empty space in the D&D universe. Someone who likes X from 3E and Y from 4E but would like the simplicity of BECMI--they might prefer a system that doesn't cater to a particular version.

Remove ads