• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LA+1. Can you be a 0-level character?

Phaedrus

First Post
By the RAW, can you be an LA+1 character with no class levels, thereby joining a "Starting at 1st level" game? You would take the +0 BAB, etc. and just use the racial abilities until you get 1000 XP and then take a class level.

If not... why not?

Scotley

Hero
Seems like I've seen rules for this somewhere recently, maybe DMG II or Unearthed Arcana? Sorry don't have the books with me. Perhaps someone else has a reference?

JimAde

First Post
What flavor hit die would you have? Would you get another one at 1st level (making you a 2 hit die creature)? If you're a humanoid you could take a d8 (that being the base humanoid die) but then what if your 1st level is in wizard? Do you lose hit points?

These are the kinds of questions to answer.

Gnome

First Post
JimAde said:
What flavor hit die would you have? Would you get another one at 1st level (making you a 2 hit die creature)? If you're a humanoid you could take a d8 (that being the base humanoid die) but then what if your 1st level is in wizard? Do you lose hit points?

These are the kinds of questions to answer.

I say go with Commoner as the base for 0-level, then replace with the first level of whatever class was chosen. That way, you don't have to worry about losing any abilities when you level-up. :)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Gnome
I say go with Commoner as the base for 0-level, then replace with the first level of whatever class was chosen. That way, you don't have to worry about losing any abilities when you level-up.

Or the standard for your creature type, and then replace it when you gain your first level. However, you shouldn't gain anything else [BA, Saves, etc] until you gain your first level. [For the most part, I believe that would be d8, unless you're playing a Fey or Aberration or something].

I see no real reason why you couldn't, but I don't think the RAW technically says you could.

Voadam

Legend
Phaedrus said:
By the RAW, can you be an LA+1 character with no class levels, thereby joining a "Starting at 1st level" game? You would take the +0 BAB, etc. and just use the racial abilities until you get 1000 XP and then take a class level.

If not... why not?

I don't believe so.

Even taking an NPC class or racial HD gives you CL = 1 and the LA would bump that up to CL = 2, even though the CR might be 1 or below. That's just the way the RAW work I believe.

I've considered allowing LA races with lower point buy or NPC class or a type HD for an upcoming level 1 game but haven't done it yet.

Land Outcast

Explorer
IMHO:

No HD means you are not living/unliving/working(If construct). (i.e.: not "animated")
HD means at least ECL 1.

Therefore no, not ECL +0.

Scion

First Post
Gnome said:
I say go with Commoner as the base for 0-level, then replace with the first level of whatever class was chosen. That way, you don't have to worry about losing any abilities when you level-up.

Commoners have spot as a class skill, not all classes have that as a class skill ;)

Personally, I dont like LA races. I would find a way to make the class have 0 LA and then go from there.

Remove ads