• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LA +1 elves?

Imret

First Post
Just thought I might troll :eek: the boards to see if anybody has some ideas already done on this. The campaign world I'm working on at the moment is young in its current age, with barely more than 3000 years of elvish history. Placed in the world to defend the flourishing life of the western continent from the nightmarish ruins in the east, the Drow War has yet to occur (my players have one hell of an all-elf campaign ahead of them someday soon...:D ), and the Elvish people are at the height of their power.

What kind of pumping seems appropriate for the fullness of elvish power? I'm wary of spell resistance, but open to suggestion if anybody's thought of this before.

Edited to pretend I can spell. :)

Last edited:

In my home game, I offer racial levels for Elves. It's not quite a level adjustment, because they still get hit points and skill points for that level. I suppose if I were to adapt these rules for just a flat +1 LA, I'd give them the following.

-2 Constitution, +4 Dex, +4 to Spot, Listen, +2 to Search, ability to use Spellcraft untrained, and 8 skill points they can spend on any Craft, Knowledge, Profession, or Speak Language skill (no more than 3 ranks in any skill), Elf weapon proficiencies, +2 to saves against Enchantments, immunity to sleep.

Mind you, in my campaign, I would instead give them a penalty to Strength and no penalty to Constitution, and I'd get rid of the immunity to sleep and instead give them detect magic at will, but whatever.

Oh, and if you want to instead grant racial levels, a 3rd level Elf in my home game gets a total of all this:

-2 Strength, +6 Dex, +4 either Intelligence (light Elf) or Charisma (dark Elf), +6 to Spot, +4 to Listen, +2 to Search, ability to use Spellcraft untrained, 12 skill points they can spend on any Craft, Knowledge, Profession, or Speak Language skill (no more than 3 ranks in any skill), Elf weapon proficiencies, +2 to saves against Enchantments, ability to use detect magic at will. Plus a number of skill points equal to (4 + Int mod) x 6, with the class skills of --

Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Speak Language, Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Oh, and light armor proficiency.

Ibram

First Post
below are the stats for one of the elf races IMC. they are slightly more powerful then their cousins.

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence
• Medium Size
• High Elves base speed is 30
• +4 Saving throw vs. Enchantment spells and effects
• Low Light Vision
• Weapons proficiency Long sword, rapier, all non exotic bows
• +2 Racial bonus to listen, spot, and search checks
• Favored Class Wizard or Fighter
• Level adjust +1

monboesen

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Oh, and if you want to instead grant racial levels, a 3rd level Elf in my home game gets a total of all this:

-2 Strength, +6 Dex, +4 either Intelligence (light Elf) or Charisma (dark Elf), +6 to Spot, +4 to Listen, +2 to Search, ability to use Spellcraft untrained, 12 skill points they can spend on any Craft, Knowledge, Profession, or Speak Language skill (no more than 3 ranks in any skill), Elf weapon proficiencies, +2 to saves against Enchantments, ability to use detect magic at will. Plus a number of skill points equal to (4 + Int mod) x 6, with the class skills of --

Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Speak Language, Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Oh, and light armor proficiency.

Do they also get Hd, bab and saving throw progression?

If so this seams like a done deal for rogues. Even with bad progressions and low HD that would seem incredible attractive.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Well, I have my own gray elves:

—Medium Humanoid (elf)
— –2 Str, +2 Dex, –2 Con, +4 Int, +2 Cha
—Base land speed: 30 feet
—Keen senses: Gray elves see twice as far as humans, and four times as far in low–light conditions. They have a +4 racial bonus to Spot checks.
—Elf Subtype: Elves have immunity to sleep spells and effects and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects. An elf within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
— +2 racial bonus on Listen and Search checks.
—Automatic languages: Gray Elven 2½ ranks, regional 1½ ranks. Bonus languages: Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Infernal, Orc.
—Favored class: Wizard
—Level adjustment: +1

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
This thread is prbably going to very useful for me as well! In the campaign I'm currently setting up, elves were the first race created from the chaotic realm of Preternature. Before they were shaped by the gods, they were slaadi.

In current times, the beings people call elves (ie PHB elves) are actually half-elves, and those named half-elves are in fact quarter-or-less-elves. Both of them have lifespans only slightly longer than humans. True elves will likely be immortal and modelled after whichever race I like the best from this thread, and essentially extinct. :D

-blarg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads