Labyrinth Lord in West Los Angeles

HelloChristian

First Post
As D&D grows more complex, I find myself looking for a simpler alternative for my fantasy role-playing needs. Fortunately, there are a number of OD&D/Basic D&D retro-clones on the market. Currently, I am taken with Labyrinth Lord from Goblinoid Games (goblinoidgames.com).

Labyrinth Lord (LL) is available as a free .pdf (from goblinoidgames.com) or as a hardcover or perfect bound book from Lulu.com. LL is published under the OGL and seeks to preserve and share Tom Moldvay's iteration of the Basic D&D game. Races and class are often one and the same. You can play a Magic-User, Cleric, Fighter, Dwarf, Elf, Thief or Halfling. Combat is very simple and there are no skills or feats.

The idea behind the design is to simplify play so that more effort and attention can be placed on role-playing, exploration and problem slving. LL is a great game for beginners or for experienced gamers looking for a fun-to-play, rules-light system. All the rules fit nicely in 130 pages!

Our campaign will feature a mix of role-playing opportunities and combat. I really enjoy using miniatures and terrain in play so as to create a nice visual for battles. The campaign will begin in the Freecity of Haldane, which has been a frequent topic of discussion in my weekly rpg zine, Iridia. Characters will explore the intrigues and rival factions within the city. Perhaps they will assist the Rat Catchers by chasing some morlocks from the sewers. Maybe the PCs will help the Church of Elyswen flush some followers of a dark, rival deity out of town. Then there's the gold dragon mayor, Aurumvorax, with his own agenda! After a few urban adventures, the party will venture beyond the city walls to explore the island of Antissa and all the wonders it holds.

I'm hoping to start an LL campaign on Sunday, July 27 at my apartment in Westwood. Ideally, we would play July 27th, then again the following Sunday on August 3rd. After the 3rd, we'd play every two weeks. Games will last from noon until 5pm.

As for me, I'm 37, married and a teacher. I don't drink or smoke and I surf every morning. I've been gaming since 1984 and consider myself a competent, attentive GM. I'd expect that my players be intelligent, personable and reliable.

If you are interested in my game, please send email to me, Christian, at Christian@IridiaZine.net. When you respond, please tell me a bit about yourself. I will not respond to e-mails like "I'm in. What's your address?" Well, please don't send that e-mail unless you are one of my current players. ;)

If you'd like to get more of a feel for my style, you can check out issues of my zine at http://www.IridiaZine.net

Regarding characters, an LL character takes about 10 minutes to generate. You can do it on your own or with the group. Ability scores are randomly generated and I trust you to roll your own stats, but please don't show up with three 18s, because that's cheesy and everyone will know you fudged it. ;)

Peace,
Christian

HelloChristian

First Post
Hello all,

A few folks have written to express their interest. One person had a great suggestion that I thought I'd throw out there. In order to increase the number of players at the table, I'd be willing to run this game as a 1e AD&D campaign. The rules are so similar that the spirit of the campaign I was planning would not have to be modified.

We could even run the game in Gary's Gygax's World of Greyhawk to complete the old school feel. So if you'd like to play 1e, let me know.

Peace,
Christian

Remove ads