Labyrinths and Outlands

Tonight I had myself a heckin good time, in one of those moments where it feels like you're not really designing. While may be a bit overexcited, I really think I nailed this particular part of my game. Which of course is helped by the fact that Ive been using a less indepth variant of this for years, but now its been formalized and expanded on.

While it doesn't help you build Encounters and Complications per say (as that will take its own section to get into), it does give good guidelines to follow to help funnel what you do come up with towards what the game really wants out of adventures.

Encounters and Complications

Encounters

Encounters are the lifeblood of a good adventure, but not always does a good encounter mean a harrowing fight to the death some random number of fiendish foes or ferocious fiends. They can in fact be quite a lot more, and the following system has been created to help facilitate the creation of a wide variety of Encounters. While the specifics of each encounter will ultimately be up to the World Keeper to generate, this system should help spurn ideas that will be fitting for the types of adventures possible in Labyrinthian.

While the system below is intended to be primarily used to prepare each game session, you can also use this system to generate an encounter on the fly if you wish, and indeed, it is designed to allow you to automatically choose an encounter type based on the remaining dice from your clearing of the Time Pool. You may generate the encounter on the fly using what you roll, or you can use the result to pick from a list of options you had pre-generated. Note, however, that the choice is always with the World Keeper, and one should try to keep an eye for what would fit best. If a particular encounter feels especially appropriate, do not rely on the Time Pool to tell you to run it. Just do it!

To begin with the system, you will roll 4d6 and follow the guidance below. When using this system as part of the Time Pool, you will first look to see if you have rolled any 1s. If you roll only one 1, then you have rolled a Complication, and should consult the Complication guidelines. If you roll two 1s or more, however, then you have rolled an Encounter, and will use the remaining 4 dice aside from the first two 1s to determine the Encounter to be run.

Rolling 4d6 for Encounters
Major Type: Roll 4d6 to generate a sequence of four numbers. Each step of the encounter will be determined in sequence, starting with the lowest number and proceeding to the highest. In the case of ties or repeats, choose the lowest unique number or use the GM's discretion.
Minor Type: The second number in your sequence determines the Minor Type of the encounter. Minor Types provide a secondary aspect to the encounter, modifying the Major Type to create diverse scenarios.
Intensity: The third number in your sequence determines the intensity level of the encounter. Intensity levels range from Minor to Epic and dictate the level of challenge and danger the encounter presents to the players.
Theme: The fourth number in your sequence determines the thematic element of the encounter. Themes add flavor and context to the encounter, providing unique twists and atmospheres.

Understanding Encounter Types
Encounters in this system come in six basic types, each offering distinct challenges and opportunities for role-playing:

Combat (1): These encounters involve direct combat with adversaries, such as monsters, bandits, or hostile creatures. Players must use their combat skills and tactics to overcome the challenge.
Environmental (2): Environmental encounters introduce physical puzzles, challenges, or obstacles, often resulting from changes in the environment, such as storms, mazes, or treacherous terrain. Players must navigate and adapt to their surroundings.
Narrative (3): Narrative encounters revolve around the evolving circumstances of the quest, influenced by NPCs or player-driven decisions. These encounters provide opportunities for storytelling, character development, and plot twists.
Roleplay (4): Roleplay encounters prompt players to engage in role-playing interactions, either with each other or with NPCs. These encounters focus on character interactions, diplomacy, and social skills.
Flavor (5): Flavor encounters involve minor worldbuilding elements and background details that enhance immersion. Examples include dragons flying in the distance, mysterious markers on a trail, or lively family disputes.
Lore (6): Lore encounters delve into major worldbuilding aspects, unveiling significant historical or natural landmarks, momentous events, or other lore-rich content that deepens the game world.

Intensity Levels
Intensity levels determine the challenge and danger level of an encounter:

Minor: Low challenge, often serving as a minor obstacle.
Moderate: A moderate level of challenge that requires player effort.
Significant: A notable challenge with potential consequences.
Dangerous: A high-stakes challenge with life-threatening risks.
Deadly: Extremely dangerous, often involving boss-level adversaries.
Epic: World-shaking events with enormous consequences.

Themes
Themes add thematic context and atmosphere to encounters:

Mysterious: Encounters shrouded in secrecy, riddles, or enigma.
Ancient: Tied to long-forgotten history or ancient artifacts.
Magical: Features mystical elements, arcane phenomena, or magical artifacts.
Political: Involves factions, negotiations, or political intrigue.
Natural: Focuses on the environment, wildlife, or natural phenomena.
Supernatural: Features otherworldly forces, mysterious entities, or cosmic events.

Example Encounter: The Debate Beneath the Canopy
The party has arrived on the island of Vuldan and has been greeted by an elaborate jungle, and after some preparation on their beachhead landing, they make their way into the jungle, just as the World Keeper finds it is time to clear the Time Pool, and roll an encounter. He rolls the following, in addition to the two 1s he needed to roll to trigger the Encounter over a mere Complication:

Major Type: Environmental (2)
Minor Type: Environmental (2)
Intensity: Moderate (3)
Theme: Political (4)

Description: In this encounter, the players find themselves in an elaborate maze-like jungle during a torrential rainstorm. Dense foliage, complex terrain, and low visibility make navigation difficult. However, as they traverse the challenging environment, they stumble upon a hidden campsite. This campsite is occupied by two rival factions engaged in a political standoff. Each faction believes the jungle holds a valuable resource, and they are negotiating under tense circumstances. Players have the opportunity to mediate, join a faction, or manipulate the factions for their own benefit while dealing with the jungle's challenges and the intrigue of politics.

Complications
To assist in fostering an interactive, and most importantly, reactive game-world that is able to adequately respond to the choices of the Party, the Time Pool facilitates the generation of Complications for the Party's adventures. Complications are not quite as significant as Encounters, but the worst ones should be able to spin out into an Encounter if the player's do not keep their wits about them.

As with Encounter generation, these guidelines are primarily to assist in preparation for each game session, though you can also use them to generate Complications on the fly as you need them, and it does work in tandem with the Time Pool. However, there is a key difference in that Complications have an additional die that impact the nature of the Complication. This will account for the additional die you will have when you only roll a single 1 when clearing the Time Pool.

Rolling 5d6 for Complications
Severity (1st Roll): Roll 5d6 to generate a sequence of five numbers. Each step of the Complication will be determined in sequence, starting with the lowest number and proceeding to the highest. In the case of ties or repeats, choose the lowest unique number or use the GM's discretion.
Type (2nd Roll): The second number in your sequence determines the Type of the Complication. Types represent the nature of the issue, from minor inconveniences to more significant challenges.
Reaction Trigger (3rd Roll): The third number in your sequence determines the trigger or cause of the Complication. This could be a result of player choices, actions, or the passage of time.
Consequence (4th Roll): The fourth number in your sequence determines the consequence or effect of the Complication. This describes how the Complication affects the players' adventure and their current situation.
Aspect (5th Roll): The fifth number in your sequence introduces an additional aspect to the Complication. This aspect represents an extra layer of complexity or a unique twist to the Complication.

Understanding Complication Types
Complications can fall into various categories based on their severity and impact:

Minor Inconvenience (1): A minor hindrance that doesn't significantly impede progress or pose immediate danger.
Obstacle (2): A noticeable barrier or challenge that requires attention but is not inherently dangerous.
Hazard (3): A potential threat or danger that can lead to harm or setbacks if not addressed.
Environmental Factor (4): An external environmental issue that affects the players' progress.
Time Pressure (5): A Complication that arises due to the passage of time, adding urgency to the situation.
Player Choice (6): A Complication that results from a specific choice made by one or more players.

Understanding Reaction Triggers
Reaction triggers determine the cause or origin of the Complication:

Player Choice (1): The Complication arises as a result of a specific choice made by one or more players.
Risky Behavior (2): The Complication occurs due to a risky action or decision made by the players.
Time Passage (3): The Complication develops over time, becoming more likely the longer the players spend in a particular situation.
Environmental Factor (4): An external factor, such as weather, terrain, or magical effects, triggers the Complication.
In-game Events (5): The Complication is a consequence of in-game events, such as a critical failure or a sudden occurrence.
NPC Influence (6): An NPC's actions or influence directly lead to the Complication.

Understanding Consequences
Consequences describe how the Complication affects the players' adventure:

Insignificant (1): The Complication is virtually inconsequential, causing minor annoyance but no substantial impact.
Minor (2): The Complication presents a minor challenge, requiring attention but unlikely to result in significant setbacks.
Moderate (3): The Complication poses a noticeable challenge, potentially leading to setbacks or the need for creative problem-solving.
Significant (4): The Complication has a substantial impact on the players' progress, potentially endangering their mission or objectives.
Serious (5): The Complication is a significant threat, posing a severe challenge that may require a change in strategy or resource expenditure.
Critical (6): The Complication is a critical threat, potentially derailing the players' plans and requiring immediate and decisive action.

Understanding Complication Aspects
The Aspect adds an extra layer of complexity or a unique twist to the Complication:

Visibility (1): The Complication affects the players' visibility or perception in some way, such as obscuring their vision.
Resource Drain (2): The Complication depletes the players' resources, such as ammunition, spells, or supplies.
Secondary Threat (3): The Complication introduces an additional threat or danger alongside the primary issue.
Narrative Twist (4): The Complication adds a narrative twist or unexpected element to the story or scenario.
Environmental Interaction (5): The Complication involves an interaction with the environment that requires creative problem-solving.
Unforeseen Consequence (6): The Complication results in an unintended consequence of the players' actions or choices.

Example Complication: An Unsettling Breeze

Severity: Minor Inconvenience (1)
Type: Environmental Factor (4)
Reaction Trigger: Time Pressure (5)
Consequence: Minor (2)
Aspect: Timing (2)

Description: As the players explore a dark and winding cave system, they suddenly feel a subtle but unsettling breeze. It's a minor inconvenience that makes their torches flicker, casting eerie shadows on the cave walls. The breeze doesn't pose any immediate danger, but it adds a touch of unease to their surroundings. The unique aspect of this Complication is its timing; it coincides with a ticking clock, creating added pressure on the players to navigate through the cave efficiently. This Complication is a result of an environmental factor—the natural airflow within the cave—triggered by the passage of time.

Definitely some adjustments to be made here and there when the time comes to look back on it (Im still too overjoyed right now), but I think this is a great start, if only because its the first tool Ive really solidified over just rules.

A most fascinating thing I realized today is just how often I keep floating back to my original ideas after many rounds of iteration and testing.

Originally, for example, I had it in my head to call my action economy the Two Action economy, which was mostly motivated by a tongue in cheek defiance of the Three Action economy's popularity.

And while I design with that in my noodle, how I described what I came up with (the Act/React rigmarole you can read about earlier in the topic) was a bit of a grating experience. You could get it eventually, especially once you used it in play, but it was consistently a pain point.

Recently, I realized I could just call them Actions and skip the delineation between Act and React. When you roll your Combat Roll, 2d20, each die generates a value called an Action Rating. You can use each to take either a Class or a Skill Action, or you can double down and use both dice to make a single Action of your choice.

I more or less came full circle after nearly a year, and now its generally much easier for it to click with people, which I think is mostly due to positioning the mechanic more clearly as making a choice of actions.

It also just meshes better with how Combat is being developed; many Abilities for example are going to have Action Ratings required for different levels of effects. Its much easier for such things to reference a less specific Action Rating, both in terms of clear communication but also in just the ease of doing so.

So thats been fun.

In other news I'm very nearly baseline complete in my Adventuring system. I still need to work through Questing (which is actually more about Reputation, though I've been theorycrafting Quest Hex Flowers, and if it pans out they'll be a part of that) and I still need to make my new changes to Exploration & Discovery (very excited there; I'm positive I've found the Holy Grail).

Elsewhere I've also further refined Skills and Talents. Theres some new ones, and I've deprecated Dexterity in favor of Agility (don't remember what prompted it but it feels righteous so its in), and I've started in on Bloodlines and Birthsigns, my games takes on Race and Luck mechanics, essentially.

Once I get through all of that I intend on finishing work on Weapons and Spells, and once thats in a good state its back through the original classes I wrote to update them and then on to all the ones I didn't start.

All in all things are progressing fairly well. The game keeps getting sharper, which is great considering the scope of it all.

I am going to take the liberty to post this here without explanation:

1698532440072.png

Some really neat stuff is happening today :D

Still a general WIP, but it is really shaping up. Its actually incredible that I was able to adapt pretty much my entire combat system to the new grid mechanics with very little trouble.

Attachments

• Combat Rules v2.0.pdf
    233.8 KB · Views: 38

Remove ads