• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lack of Fast Heroes (rant)

Camelot

Adventurer
Have you ever played Borderlands? In that game, there is a class that heals his ally by shooting him with a gun. Makes no sense, really, but in D&D could be pulled off.

I'd make a Dex-based leader be the elemental origin. They don't heal by beseeching a greater power to do it. They don't heal mental wounds by inspiring their companions. They fire healing elements at their allies which heal physical wounds.

They're healing power would be very powerful, healing a lot of hit points, but the catch would be that it has to hit. Dex vs. Reflex. Or maybe it would heal healing surge value + Dex mod, so the more dexterous you are the better you can aim it to heal your ally.

While I don't think there's anything lacking with the current classes mechanics-wise, and I don't think classes should be created just to fill in the mechanical holes, I do think that if a new and interesting idea comes up that can distinguish itself from all the other classes, then it should be done!

Also, Mengu, what feat lets your half-elf grant everyone initiative? I know it grants a bonus to Insight, but I'm confident you didn't just misread that.

Cheesepie

First Post
Thank goodness the designers don't think "Hey, we don't have many Dex-based classes... We should think some up!" That would absolutely be the wrong way to go about it!

And a fast hero need not have Dexterity as their primary stat, or, hell, their secondary stat. For example, the quick battlemind: primary Con, secondary Cha.

Roger

First Post
If I squint just right, I can sorta see a Dex-based Bard. A juggler or acrobat or something. It'd be sorta weird, but not much weirder than Bards already are.

Cheers,
Roger

Tale

First Post
I'll be the jerk. Tale, you have to play an Arcane Swashbuckler. Also, he needs to speak in a squeaky voice and have a lisp.

Also, he's a bugbear armed with a net.
He's technically a Bard. The worst part is if you make me sing my attacks.

Turtlejay

First Post
Swashbuckler is one archetype, sure.

When I think of fast, lucky heroes, I think of Robin Hood! The very image of a rogue, he was a legendary archer and a charismatic leader.

If I were to stat him up (Garthanos style), he would have a Charisma at least as high as his Dexterity. He was no wandering archer, he was a leader. Sadly, this seems to fit best mechanically with a Bard, but reflavor the bard's powers to reflect a less-singing, more . . .anything else, and it works great.

Jay

Remove ads