• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lackhand's Dragons

Lackhand

First Post
I'm about to use my first dragon(s) in my home campaign, and I thought I'd talk a little about how I'm tricking them out to increase their solo threat.

I've seen the new Hobbit movie. I want them to be unabashed city smashers, eventually, but more than that: I want them to be, well, dragony.

First, the ontology. What is a dragon?
In my campaign, she's a parthenogenic extreme heterozygote; she's color coded for your convenience but it sprang from a mother of a different color.
She's probably native to the prime plane, though the very eldest two are thought to be non-native, if they exist at all and if that's a useful concept in context.
The eggs of dragons hatch as dragonborn nine out of ten times; the dragonborn tend to be of the same color as their dam but aren't always. That tenth time is a stunted wyrmling, a dragonlet which cannot age. One in ten of those wyrmlings remainder (one in a hundred eggs!) is a wyrmling capable of making it to the young adult age; one in a thousand eggs can make it to adult, one in ten thousand eggs is capable of ancient. These odds go down to 1 in 100 when the child would be capable of an elder age than the parent.
So use as many dragons of whatever age category as you'd like; they're unlikely to overwhelm your campaign with numbers.
A dragon is mostly made of meat and mineral-hard scale and ancient bone, though a potent elemental flux suffuses all the tissues of a live dragon, concentrated in her brain and heart.
Any non-dragon creature exposed to an adult dragon's flux (such as by consuming those organs) gains the half-dragon template, at least one mental illness, and possibly other physical mutations.
Dragons eat everything. Their scales harden; they don't usually collect cartloads of copper pieces but instead shed scales continuously, with those scales mostly composed of copper, and trading nearly 1:1 with local coinage. That said, the silver and gold are probably real and stolen.

Okay. Enough of that. Let's talk giant fire breathing turkey. How do you beef up a non-wyrmling dragon?
Wyrmlings are anemic, but intentionally so.

Burning blood: damaging the wyrm spends one of its hit dice, creating a 5' pool of bloody flux adjacent, dealing that die to anyone entering or starting there, of a type of damage the dragon resists. This effect stacks with itself, and in any effect the dragon is immune.

Iron Hide: the dragon has resistance to nonmagical (s/b/p) weapon damage. Anmd her natural attacks count as magical. And she counts as a Siege Monster, dealing double damage against objects.

Chaotic Flux: whenever the dragon's breath weapon recharges at the start of a round, she may get an additional save against one effect she can save against at the end of each round. If this save is successful, the renewed breath weapon is immediately lost again.

More as I think of it :)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I like the idea of the recharging breath being useable for a saving throw. Especially good if you narrate it creatively; the dragon blasts flame along the limb that's turning to stone, or a blast of lightning in her mouth snaps her out of the stun...

Do your dragons have legendary resistance as well?

Lackhand

First Post
I like the idea of the recharging breath being useable for a saving throw. Especially good if you narrate it creatively; the dragon blasts flame along the limb that's turning to stone, or a blast of lightning in her mouth snaps her out of the stun...

Do your dragons have legendary resistance as well?

Yes, legendary dragons shrug magic right off; chaotic flux and legendary resistances both. They are a bear. Metaphorically.

Iron hide has entirely the wrong benefits, so I'm going to declare it switched up. D&D is generally punitive to melee characters -- damaging auras, weapon and armor debuffs on hit, etc. Let's reverse that trend.
Iron Hide: resistance to nonmagical ranged weapon damage. And still seige monster and counts-as-magic-weapon.
(This makes a knight better at slaying dragons than massed archers would be)

Awesome Presence: dragon's fear aura is, in a small percentage of cases, a charm effect. Some people are just wired that way. This is how draconic cults get started. (Anyone failing their save against the frightful presence with a 1 is affected as normal. As a rider, as a magical charm effect, they are charmed and stunned. Breaking the fear breaks the charm). So that's where the agents and catspaws and worshippers come from.

More to come.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Iron hide has entirely the wrong benefits, so I'm going to declare it switched up. D&D is generally punitive to melee characters -- damaging auras, weapon and armor debuffs on hit, etc. Let's reverse that trend.
Iron Hide: resistance to nonmagical ranged weapon damage. And still seige monster and counts-as-magic-weapon.
(This makes a knight better at slaying dragons than massed archers would be)

From a story perspective I like this. From a gaming perspective, combining this with a flying creature seems to make intelligent dragon tactics never to close, which is even more punitive to melee characters. A dragon that never lands near the knight is in no danger from her.

It seems like Ironhide is designed to let the GM play up the draconic arrogance and land, letting the melee characters do something.

BTW, enjoying the thread of your legendary dragons. Several ideas to yoink. As a matter of fact, dragon scales part of the horde is something that I can use the very next session I run, laying some pipe for an upcoming dragon encounter they have been (slowly) aiming at.

Lackhand

First Post
From a story perspective I like this. From a gaming perspective, combining this with a flying creature seems to make intelligent dragon tactics never to close, which is even more punitive to melee characters. A dragon that never lands near the knight is in no danger from her.

It seems like Ironhide is designed to let the GM play up the draconic arrogance and land, letting the melee characters do something.

Hmm. I could see it going either way, but I look at it thusly: if the archer and knight suffer the same penalty, the archer is still coming out ahead: they can dictate the terms of their engagement with the dragon, get behind cover, shoot while the dragon is coming in for a breath and so on. The dragon still shouldn't land, since it's still giving the knight a free shot which it doesn't have to. There's no advantage for the party trying to fight the dragon in its lair, since she gets lair actions, traps and so forth. A lot of the arguments that 5e dragons are weenie seem to involve using casters and archers to plink the dragon while she circles waiting for breath to recharge.

By giving her resistance to mundane ammunition, I've encouraged the players to try to beard her in her lair, where their melee characters have a relative damage advantage, offset by having to navigate through the dungeon. Just as planned ;)
This assumes the dragon doesn't have, like, a clifftop lair or a great cystic cavern. A dragon that can fly around in its lair is just very, very hard. I don't have any advice for a party facing such a prepared foe except to try to trap or outsmart the dragon.

BTW, enjoying the thread of your legendary dragons. Several ideas to yoink...
Thank you very much!

A note on gender. I've been using female pronouns to refer to dragons because, as discussed in this thread, they're all female. Not necessarily as humans would define it, but every dragon can lay eggs, and does do so whenever they can consume enough wealth to generate one. Dragons swallow and pass their hoard, over and over, consuming and catalyzing it into offspring. This is also how they transport their hoard into their lairs, in their craws and stomachs. Belief holds that large hoards increase the chance of their offspring being capable of reaching Ancient. Many dragons, driven by greed or fear, consume their eggs, fearing their offspring would become greater than the dam, or be hatched of a type inimical to her.
This cycle of consumption is why their silver pieces are always so shiny -- you didn't think dragons were sitting around polishing or sand-tumbling each piece, did you?!

A new rules widget.
Treasure Scent: A dragon will mark by smell any piece of treasure which she has passed. She can track this treasure by scent, forever. This scent is easily transfered to equal or greater sources of wealth by conact; if this is done, the dragon will follow the old scent to the new item. Forever.

Movement Sense: A dragon can sense movement of metal via subtle rhythms. In order to hide from a dragon, a creature must both not be visible but also intentionally disguise the movement of any metal. This sense extends into the Ethereal Plane.

This latter sense is intended to play off of the same senses as the dragon is already using, but prevent ethereal or invisible assassins from completely ruining the dragon's day, since it is more difficult to render all metal undetectable!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads