• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lamarckian humans

Dirigible

Explorer
Here's an idea I want to throw out, see if anyone can help develop, criticise or extrapolate from it.

(I apologise for any mistakes in terminology I have made; I didn't pay a whole lot of attention in my Human Evolution lectures last semester).

As anyone who has done high school biology knows, non-genetic characteristics are not heritable; a mouse that has its tail cut off with, for example, a carving knife would not produce tailless offspring. What if there was a breed of humans, living alongside us and present for millions of years who could pass on acquired characteristics?

Let's call them Lamarckians. When they procreate, rather than the male contributing half a genome to the mix, the female's body takes a 'Kirilian photograph', an image of the male's bioelectric field that contains information on his biology, anatomy and other characteristics. The male's Kirilian photograph combies with the female's own Kirilian field and activates her egg cell(s), creating an embryo with a Kirilian field that consists of a mix of the two parents. The field dicates the childs growth and characteristics in the same way DNA does for a normal person. However, because there is no recombination, there is far less diversity in Lamarckian offspring; their characteristics are always a blend of their parents.

What are the implications of this, in practical terms? If either parent has, for example, a missing leg, their children will also have a missing leg; rather, it simply won't develop. They will have the scars of their parents, and will grow to similar levels of physical strength and health; the downside being, they will be born with any diseases their parents had, too. They will even have the same hairstyles as their progenitors (but they can of course change it at a later date).

The most relevant (in that it is the ones I intend the PCs to come across) community of Lamarckians is a village that lies snuggles deep and isolated in the forests of the US (maybe Washington state, maybe New England; I haven't decided). There is another community in Eastern Europe (the source of the American Lamarckians ), one in the midle of Siberia and another in the hinterlands of China. There are none at all in the Middle East or Africa; they were driven out hundreds of thousands of years ago by the ancestors of we 'normal' humans.

This small town, Rose Lake, is quiet, isolated and simple. While they do use some modern technology and have their own generators, there are no radios, TVs, phones or computers in the town. It is home to four hundred Lamarckians and a handful of normal humans. The people are small farmers, trappers, hunters and craftsmen, who make their living off the land and by selling their goods, like home-made furniture and weavings.

Variation: What if, in addition to acquired physical characteristics, a part of the parents' memories are passed to the children? The Kirilian field could transfer information fromt hebrain, as well as physical traits. Some Lamarckians may have ancestral memories stretching back countless millenia, albeit patchy and vague. The memories are gradually assimilated into the childs mind as it grows and learns and becomes capable of understanding them. This means very young children (by human standards) may be very mature, intelligent and knowledgeable, trusted with responsibilities at a remarkable age. This is part of the reason they abhor modern communications technology; not only might it inspire people to leave, but there is the risk of information overload.

Adventure Idea: The PC's vehicle breaks down in the middle of the forest, or they get lost on a hike, and they set out to find a mechanic / shelter. They come across Rose Lake, which at first seems like a perfectly normal, if isolated, town. The remarkable family resemblance everyone bares to their kin will probably be explained as, ahem, 'limited mate selection' (or evidence of Deep One influence, depending on the campaign...).

Then they start to notice some odd things: the bar owner has the same missing earlobe as her father; farmer O'Connell is missing his left arm from the elbow down and so are all four of his children; Robert Jr. talks, walks and acts exactly like Robert Sr. If the PCs consider this, they may rationalise it all as 'country ways', ritualistic mutilation or evidence of cult behaviour or child abuse. The townsfolk try to keep their nature secret at all costs, but initially bare the PCs no ill will.

Adventure ideas:
* The towns doctor is a normal human, essentially held prisoner to serve their medical needs. He was a researcher into isolated communities and genetic diseases whoa rrived in Rose Lake and got a little too close to the truth. He may emplore the PCs for help in escaping.
* The Lamarckians may view the PCs (particular young, fit, healthy ones) as potential new mates to help restore their damaged bloodlines (see below).
* Someone in town may have the ancestral memories of a serial killer. The arrival and interference of the PCs may trigger the urges they have long held in check.

Now, the questions...

* There must be a way for turning normals into Lamarckians, or at least cleansing defomities from the ancestral line. Otherwise, the gradual buildup of physical damage would render bloodlines non-viable after enough time. The simplest explanation is that there is a self-repair mechanism that clears deformities after several generations, so that little Susie may have her mother and father's scars and deformities, but not those of great (time a thousand) granny Zuug, the famed one-eyed Cro Magnon man The more interesting explantion, though, is that Lamarckians can transform humans. As to how this is accomplished and what the implications are, I eagerly await your suggestions.

* Would the Lamarckians be extremly physically adept and powerful? Knowing that your own acquired characteristics would pass on to your offspring, wouldn't you ensure that you were at the peak of physical perfection? Over generations, this continual progress could mean that Lamarckians are stronger and faster than normals. Not to mention the fact that they ahve access to dozens of generations of skills and learned talents (if the ancestral memory variant is used); by adulthood, every Lamarckians is a crack shot, an expert driver and skilled in every area their ancesters were, from animal husbandry to sewing to writing to blacksmithing.

* What would they be like psychologically? Would they feel alienated from their ancestors or would there be an incredible closeness to one's antecendants that not even the most devoted human geneologist and family historians could match? What palce is there for individuality if you are exactly like your parents?

So, think about all the above, and share any thoughts, ideas or problems you have.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Hmmm. If they accumulate mental quirks as well, then after a few generations you'd have some truly bizarre people. I think the 'reset' idea is a good one, but it never really resets all the way. The Linneans are an evolutionary dead-end, and something should portray that.

I'd suggest that breeding with a standard human 'resets' them in some way, so you have them setting traps on roadways every once in a while, not unlilke cannabalistic hill-dwelling mutants :) to 'refresh the stock'. A more horrible means of 'resetting' would be to eat a normal human, so that they assimilate what they eat and it resets their genetic drift.

What you're talking about is Lamarkian Evolution. The Linneans could have a more monstrous offshoot that uses this take on evolution. Maybe to escape discovery or persecution, one tribe of Linneans went underground into the Appalacian cave complexes. There, away from all light, they would quickly develop small useless eyes and get around by scent or touch (this is 'unused parts atrophy' part of the 'theory').

Another idea to use is Lysenkoism, where you change one organism into another by changing it's environment.

Kyramus

First Post
When I read this, I thought about the Bene Geserrit of Dune.

They use breeding to assimilate traits of people and always bore women because that allows for more selective breeding.

What you'd put into effect is that almost all the offspring are female. Only the females can imprint the kirillian photograph from a "mate". The "Mate" doesn't need to know about this method of reproduction. The female still functions normally.

What you might like to do is that the kirillian effect makes female children. The accidents make male children. The male children are not 100% of the blend and the females are.
:)

Dirigible

Explorer
Aaargh... thanks for that, Wayne. Yes, I got my Lamarck and Linnaeus mixed up (Linnaeus, Lamarck, Lysenko... what's with all the L's, you old gits!).

I hadn't considered how this set-up allows for throwbacks and variant species. Excellent. CHUDS ahoy! Sasquatches! Gillymen!
Perhaps the troglodyte-Lammarckians are very eager to return to 'normality' after being exiled for so long by the human-looking ones, and go an a 'kidnap and eat' tourism drive.

And Kyramus, you give me the idea that the Lamarckains could have a goal... a 'kwisatz haderach' of their own, or somthing like the Breeding Cult from Dark Angel. Perhaps, they beleive, if they can progress forward to a certian archetype, the whole process will unravel itself back into a pure, atavistic form of their species. Hmmm.

Thanks for the input so far, gents.

Kyramus

First Post
I really don't see why they aren't doing this to achieve the ultimate perfect specimen of their race (Paragon from Epic Level Handbook).

Makes for a great eenemy too at low levels when the thing is still a child. hehehe

Gez

First Post
Well, if they are blending, then the offspring of a one-legged man and a whole woman would not be only partially one-legged. His own offspring would only have a club foot.

Of course, simple statistics would produce people who are always slightly crippled. After all, the majority of people have an over-average number of legs... ;)

If these women make a kirelian photograph of their mates, transformation is not required for hybridation.

Something else. The blending of kirelian images, by not being DNA stuff, could not be subject to the same limitations... In other words, some of these people, with the twisted enough imagination, could create weird hybrids.

Makes for a great Cthuluh feel when adventurers discover the ruins of the Labyrinth, and inside, the skeleton of the Minotaur... And when they realise that mythical beast-men like sphinx and co did exist, thanks to the immoral practices of a human-looking-but-not-human species that was nigh annihilated long ago in a secret, forgotten war...

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I like the ideas here. Especially the adventure idea of getting stranded in a town full of slightly deformed, superintelligent people who all look slightly similar. Someone get Rod Serling in here...

Anyhow, here's some thoughts. When I first read about the need to reset the bloodline, it seemed to me that the easiest way to do it would be to have the Lemarkian trait be recessive- ie, if a Lemarkian and a normal have a child, it will be a normal child with the potential to mate with a Lemarkian to produce another Lemarkian. But it would be born with all it's limbs and everything. This might lead to the "normals" leaving the towns a lot go to into regular society, but still carrying the trait with them. Might make for a good family secret for a PC. ;)

With regards to the passing of memories and knowledge, I can see this making the insular communities have smart, but out-of-date people. If they're not communicating regularly with the outside world, then they're not going to have the most current knowledge or theories available. It could lead to some interesting paradoxes, like finding a child that's totally conversant with Einstein's theories but is unaware of the existence of Pluto (discovered in 1930).

For physical adeptness, in general, I don't think they'd be much faster or stronger because it would be evened out by injuries passing from one generation to the next. As has been mentioned, there might be some breeding program in place to try and make "superior" children. Or at least minimizing physical defects, possibly causing the ostricization of the more injured families. And, since they can't intermingle with the other families, they'd naturally marry amongst each other and things would get even worse.

Among the more normal-appearing ones, I can see marriage returning to a sort of negotiated contracy, with physical fitness playing a large part in the consideration. If normal humans are needed to somehow reset the bloodline, or to make the Lemarkian gene receed more, than any normals coming through town could find themselves the target of a power struggle between aggressive families who want to claim them.

I was also thinking of the fact that the women are recording the Kirilian fields- this could lead to a subset of woman midwife types (again, like the Bene Gesserit) who have some control over the way the image is recorded. Perhaps they can even manipulate existing fields directly, getting powers like spirit healing or inflicting wounds- definately like small town witches. They may be the ones keeping the doctor prisoner, in order to supplant their knowledge with more modern techniques.

Dirigible

Explorer
Kyramus said:
Makes for a great enemy too at low levels when the thing is still a child. hehehe

Brilliant! The PC's try to capture a Lamarckian child and bring him back to the Hoffman Institute / FBI / whatever, and he turns out to be like Family Guy's Stewie... or Macauly Culkin form Home Alone. Takes over their base and turns it into a series of deathtraps after bending his tremendous intellect to unravelling their technology...

Gez said:
Well, if they are blending, then the offspring of a one-legged man and a whole woman would not be only partially one-legged. His own offspring would only have a club foot.

I thought of this, but decided that it's more interesting if unusual characteristics, like missing limbs or superdeveloped physical attributes are always dominant and distinct.

I like the freakish animal hybridisation idea, Gez... I can use it for a later adventure featuring the Lamarckians. Hell, I'm getting enough ideas here to turn them into an entire subplot of the campaign, rather than a one-shot adventure.

Byron's Ghost said:
Might make for a good family secret for a PC.

It will now... excellent idea!

Great help with the social stuff, too. Arranged mariages, feuding clans... time do dust off Romeo & Juliet.

Remove ads