• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lame Names

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I had an NPC once whose name was Timazael, not too bad in itself but when the PC:s asked his name he answered: "There are some who call me... TIM!!!" He also had a very vicious bunny-familiar...

Hammerhead

Explorer
Acev En'Tura, a Druid/Master of Many Forms. The name actually works pretty well though.

Another player has the annoying habit of naming his characters after whatever book or movie he's into at the moment. So far we've had:

Gawain
w/ Morgaine as a cohort
Accolon
Shiir Khan
Miyagi
Daedalus
w/ Dogg as cohort, and Icarus as pseudodragon familiar
Sam Fisher
Kalashnikov

Hammerhead

Explorer
I also have a habit of coming up with "trick" names, but you really can't get it unless you already know about it.

For example, my Eberron PC is called Marius ir'Kol; the name was designed to sound like Miracle. Or Kellan (Kill 'em), and Milat (a villain whose personality is frighteningly similar to Talim of Soul Calibur fame).

Baron Opal

First Post
Hmm, let's see. We've had...

Fecund, the wandering ranger.
Indlas Somer, a ranger who loved the beach, played by someone who loves RuneQuest.
Fred I - XX... something or other. There were lots of "Freds".
Leshif the cleric, someone who just spelled his surname backwards, but it worked.

Sixer the mercenary. While exploring a place called Puzzle Canal, the party decided to hire mercenaries. They ended up getting eaten / blown-up / whatever by the evilness within first. They soaked up the sooner-than-instant death part of the mission, and the PCs were just out some gold. Worked for everyone. They players didn't give them names (or I, for that matter) just numbers. Well, Mercenary #6 survived three expeditions, which was more than a couple of PCs. He was named an honorary PC and given a "real name" in tribute.

Which, of course, was the kiss of death. He was eaten by a walktapus (ogre-sized mindflayer, dumb, regenerates) the next adventure. They raised what was left of him, however.

rounser

First Post
Halfling savage chief in Dark Sun named Meddlewhoop Nub-Nubs. Meddlewhoop lasted about one and a half sessions before he got killed by slaves, suggesting that character survival chances are inversely related to the stupidity of the character name.

I've also used the following whimsical pantheon for a couple of one shots:

Ogg - (NE Lesser Demiurge)
Domains: Evil, Healing, Air, Protection

Tquirky - (LN Greater Goddess and Giant Walking Mushroom)
Domains: Law, Fire, Luck, Animal

Gleebus Wurp - (NG Failed Archdemon, cast out into the upper planes)
Domains: Good, Destruction, Death, Travel

Yutz - (N Mystical Divine Flying Rock With Propellors)
Domains: Magic, Water, Strength, War

Urkh Ob Glurkh - (CN Part Time Demigod)
Domains: Chaos, Earth, Trickery, Sun

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Other bad names that have cropped up as my PCs or NPCs:

Sir Cumscribed
Sir Cumcised
Sir Loin
Sir Pent
Sir Reptitious
Sensei Wunda
Sensei Millia
"Yellow" Zjax

Just tangentially- has anyone on this thread besides me played Paranoia? After all, that game actually encourages bad names, like:

Roy-G-BIV
Wot-U-GOT
Eve-B-OLA

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
An NPC 2nd in command who always seemed to know it all: Lou Minotti

How about a "blaster" build spellslinger: Kenny Zappit.

Hmmm...one I haven't run yet- a Bard/Soulknife: Lute Skywalker.

kelson

First Post
I had a half elf paladin named Kelson Elenelvial Gil-Ravadry the third. I insisted that he be called by his full name. my DM started calling me kelso elven a$$hole gil rassberry the turd. he now just goes by... thats right you guessed it. kelson!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Most recently, someone started a Warforged monk in our Planescape game with the name of Onohz (pronounced "Oh, Noes!") My character is just calling him "construct". :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads