• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lamest Creature You've used to good effect in your campaign

Xyanthon

First Post
I just read through the adventure "Box of Flumph" by Tim Hitchcock from Dungeon 118. It really got me thinking about some of the more absurd creatures out there that often fall through the cracks and never see the light of day in a typical campaign. I was wondering what maligned creatures have you all used to good effect in your own campaigns?

frankthedm

First Post
I used Displacer beasts as extra dimensional shadowy feline creatures. They had better feats [combat reflexes rather than alertness] and Darkvision but suffered Light sensitivity and disintegration side effects [0 or fewer HP=Gone in a foul smelling Poof!]from lightning and light based attack spells.

I added the fire element template to stirges and described them as flamining vampire bats. [birthed from destroying a particular vampire strain by fire.]

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I've used digesters really well a few times. They're mutated raptor-type dinosaurs in my game, either results of the Mourning (in Eberron) or other magical fallout. Horrible things, making hit and run attacks with disgusting lines of digestive acid, slurping up the liquid remains...

Demiurge out.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I've used Crysmals to decent effect. PC's would chase them around, only to have them disappear through a wall using its passwall ability. Lo, behind the wall was the Crysmal's treasure, but the PC's never got that.

They were too busy also chasing the fuzzy Al'mirajes and the Flail Snails.

Fear.

Xyanthon

First Post
Herobizkit said:
I've used Crysmals to decent effect. PC's would chase them around, only to have them disappear through a wall using its passwall ability. Lo, behind the wall was the Crysmal's treasure, but the PC's never got that.

They were too busy also chasing the fuzzy Al'mirajes and the Flail Snails.

Fear.

Heh, I completely forgot about those critters. Flail snails, now there's a dreaded beast!

Huw

First Post
I used giant space hamsters successfully during a siege. Nothing like giant rodents burrowing under your walls to ruin your day.

In oriental adventures (2e) there was a creature whose name I've forgotten (possibly Kalpak). Don't know which mythology it's from. It's a bidepal elephant with a gold cloak and a reputation for eating treasure. The characters had been warned about this thing, but still chose to confront it rather than go round it because they wanted its treasure. After a hard fight, they searched its lair and found nothing. I then reminded them that it EATS TREASURE, and was created to punish the greedy. :lol:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I too have used flumphs (a primary food source in the underdark!) and even scared my high-level group badly with a gelatinous cube once, but I think I'm most proud of setting up the rumor of a herd of unicorns and having it be a small herd of al'mirajs. Led by a psionic al'miraj. Nothing creeps out the players like a unicorn bunny with red glowing eyes and a psychic blast.

Really, though, I'm still playing in the bush leagues. Two years ago, my wife managed to use a nilbog and not have it be lame. I was astonished.

Psion

Adventurer
I've never considered displacer beasts in the least bit lame.

As 3e creatures go, they probably have one of the higher body counts in my game.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I've used al-mi'raj to good effect way back when they first appeared in the 1e Fiend Folio. Actually, there were quite a few neat monsters in that book. :D

Except as the subject of parody (The Flumphs of Penzance), I've never used a flumph to good effect. :(

Some people think ethereal filchers are lame, and I've certainly used them with good results. There used to be an ethereal filcher lair in the "Ruins of Oakhill" thread I had posted here, but it went away with the server crash.

Gelatinous cubes & other various oozes I've used to good effect. In 2e, I once had a miniature grey ooze pop out of a skull's eyesocket when a PC picked it up. Nice and creepy fun. :D

RC

Remove ads