• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Laptop DM - What do I need?

Ostler

First Post
So I'm going to be restarting my high level campaign soon. (Players keep pestering me.) Given the amount of information I will need to keep track of I'm thinking about becoming a Laptop DM.

I have a AMD K6/2 500Mhz laptop that is otherwise unused so I figured I could devote it to gaming.

What software, PDFs, etc. should I get to help me run my game efficiently?

Thanks,

Last edited:

mafisto

First Post
DM Genie

Ostler said:
So I'm going to be restarting my high level campaign soon. (Players keep pestering me.) Given the amount of information I will need to keep track of I'm thinking about becoming a Laptop DM.

I have a AMD K6/2 500Mhz laptop that is otherwise unused so I figured I could devote it to gaming.

What software, PDFs, etc. should I get to help me run my game efficiently?

Thanks,

I've had great success using DM Genie (http://www.dmgenie.com) for my modified 3.5 campaign. I don't use it for running combat, but it really is an unparalled way to keep track of just about everything. Functionally it encompasses everything from 3.5 (skills, spells, feats, monsters, etc.), and the developer (Janik from Mad Genious) is actively developing the product. I rarely have to use the manuals because the information in the program is very extensive and complete -- and it really cuts down on rules lawyer activity.

Finally, the campaing managment tools have been a godsend. It can access maps, store HTML, create nested adventures and use RTF markup.

I know I sound like a raving fan, but try it out. Download the demo and use the tutorials; because of the sheer amount of functional components, there is a learning curve. The forums on the site are pretty well attended too, so ask questions there if you need more info than you can get from the site itself.

Luke

Explorer
RolePlayingMaster does much as above, with notable extensions like:
  • Proper understanding of how stacking rules work, to give you correct calculations.
  • Extensive wordprocessing capabilities for the highest quality in campaign and adventure building results.
  • Very strong, configurable generator capabilites, for everything from fantasy names, to tavern descriptions to fully generated NPCs (complete with sensible equipment lists, spell lists, feats etc)
  • Designed from the ground up to support open home rule, campaign and even genre extensions (like science fiction) - with an active fan community producing and sharing such material.
  • Full support for game preparation (preparing printouts), or for in-game combat complete with everything from sounds and background music, to options for quick combat or detailed examination of all stats and options.

alaric187

First Post
Luke said:
RolePlayingMaster does much as above, with notable extensions like:
  • Proper understanding of how stacking rules work, to give you correct calculations.
  • Extensive wordprocessing capabilities for the highest quality in campaign and adventure building results.
  • Very strong, configurable generator capabilites, for everything from fantasy names, to tavern descriptions to fully generated NPCs (complete with sensible equipment lists, spell lists, feats etc)
  • Designed from the ground up to support open home rule, campaign and even genre extensions (like science fiction) - with an active fan community producing and sharing such material.
  • Full support for game preparation (preparing printouts), or for in-game combat complete with everything from sounds and background music, to options for quick combat or detailed examination of all stats and options.

[PIMP] Yeah, I use RPM to run my games and it's awesome. Luke is on top of things, so if you need something that it doesn't have, it's a safe bet that it will be in there next version. Plus, Everyone Else can be loaded into it, giving you stats for anyone you may need in your game on the fly.[/PIMP]

Also, Fractal Mapper is awesome. It's like CC2, except about 20% of the cost and much easier to use. Good mapping times.

evildmguy

Explorer
Greetings!

I have the following programs to help with my sessions:

Microsoft Word - for notes

Microsoft Excel - for calculations of various things, such as inflation or different prices in different towns, other calculations sheets

CC Pro - for mapping

Overseer3D - to covert maps to 3D

Fractal Terrains - to create the world(s)

Weather Master - to handle weather and take some notes.

d20 Combat Manager - free download from ENWorld. Tracks and runs combat. Stopped me, as the DM, from rolling anything but speeded up combat a lot!

BLAZONS! - for heraldry. However, I had issues where the program didn't work but I got no response to any of my emails. :( (CC Pro can do heraldry, however BLAZONS! gives the wording of it, which is what I liked.)

That's all I can think of that I use at the moment. Does anyone use anything else? Can we use this as a place to name ALL programs used at the table? I would like to see what else is out there! :)

Hope this helped! Thanks!

edg

Chaz

First Post
I agree fractal mapper is a program you have to have.
Also great is TableSmith. You will be surprised just how many things this program can do for you. Give it a try.

Peace

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
What software, PDFs, etc. should I get to help me run my game efficiently
Things that can help you run the game more smoothly:

Ability to lookup rules quickly: An HTML version of the SRD is one possibility. That's a little hard to add info to. Programs like DM's Familiar (mine), DM Genine, and RPM do it as well. The ability to search this info (what are all the 3rd level wizard spells I have in the computer) and the ability to cross-reference are nice (example: DM's Familiar let's you enter spells to a creature. You can double-click the spell to pull it up for more info. The others probably do this as well.
The ability to import/export information from this is needed if you use rulebooks beyond the SRD.

Combat Management: Let the computer manage initiative and who's turn it is. Ideally it should also track durations of spells and such to tell you when it's done. If you'll let the computer roll dice for you, you're combats will go much faster. Doing a claw/claw/bite/tail slap/wing slap with one click of a button is a good thing.
Ideally, the combat manager should handle all the buffs & nerfs that are going on. Especiall in a high level campaign. DM's Familiar, DM Genie, RPM, etc. do these things. It makes the game run much faster.

Notes: Some way to organize your notes. Word can do it. Again though the search and cross-reference abilities are the time savers: Write an adventure, be able to drag & drop creatures to it, be able to drag & Drop from the adventure to the combat board, etc. DMF, DM Genie, RPM can do things like this.

Those are the things I find, in game, can really make things run smoother. All the programs have free demos. Take a look and see what you like.

evildmguy

Explorer
DMFTodd said:

Ability to lookup rules quickly: An HTML version of the SRD is one possibility. That's a little hard to add info to. Programs like DM's Familiar (mine), DM Genine, and RPM do it as well. The ability to search this info (what are all the 3rd level wizard spells I have in the computer) and the ability to cross-reference are nice (example: DM's Familiar let's you enter spells to a creature. You can double-click the spell to pull it up for more info. The others probably do this as well.
The ability to import/export information from this is needed if you use rulebooks beyond the SRD.

Combat Management: Let the computer manage initiative and who's turn it is. Ideally it should also track durations of spells and such to tell you when it's done. If you'll let the computer roll dice for you, you're combats will go much faster. Doing a claw/claw/bite/tail slap/wing slap with one click of a button is a good thing.
Ideally, the combat manager should handle all the buffs & nerfs that are going on. Especiall in a high level campaign. DM's Familiar, DM Genie, RPM, etc. do these things. It makes the game run much faster.

Notes: Some way to organize your notes. Word can do it. Again though the search and cross-reference abilities are the time savers: Write an adventure, be able to drag & drop creatures to it, be able to drag & Drop from the adventure to the combat board, etc. DMF, DM Genie, RPM can do things like this.

Those are the things I find, in game, can really make things run smoother. All the programs have free demos. Take a look and see what you like.

Hmmm. I appreciate what you are saying but I disagree with it in a few areas.

First of all, I don't think rules should be looked up at the table. Unless the group is a made of new players and a new GM, the rules should be used at a minimum AT THE TABLE. What should happen is the GM should note any discrepancies, look them up after the session but before the next, and briefly describe what the GM learned and will be using the next time around.

Second, the same for notes. I am not talking about helpers for combat or the adventure, only plain and simple notes. Later, the GM should review his notes, again preferably before the next session, and if he wants to do any cross referencing or create several documents with needed information, that is great! It will help him with running the adventure.

"That's just my opinion, though. I could be wrong."

edg

evildmguy

Explorer
DMFTodd said:

Hmmm. I appreciate what you are saying but I disagree with it in a few areas.

First of all, I don't think rules should be looked up at the table. Unless the group is a made of new players and a new GM, the rules should be used at a minimum AT THE TABLE. What should happen is the GM should note any discrepancies, look them up after the session but before the next, and briefly describe what the GM learned and will be using the next time around.

Second, the same for notes. I am not talking about helpers for combat or the adventure, only plain and simple notes. Later, the GM should review his notes, again preferably before the next session, and if he wants to do any cross referencing or create several documents with needed information, that is great! It will help him with running the adventure.

"That's just my opinion, though. I could be wrong."

edg

WingOver

First Post
evildmguy said:
First of all, I don't think rules should be looked up at the table. Unless the group is a made of new players and a new GM, the rules should be used at a minimum AT THE TABLE.

edg

My group looks up rules all the time, and we've been playing consistently since 3rd edition was released. We can't remember every little modifier, spell or combat rule. Maybe we're just a little slow on the uptake. ;)

As for notes, I like using MS Word on the notebook, but sometimes just fall back to printed pages for convenience.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads