• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Large Creature w/ Medium Tower Shield

Demmero

Explorer
Are there any rules that deal with the effects of a creature using a shield made for something smaller than itself? If someone could point me to such rules, I'd appreciate it.

I'm particularly wondering if a Large creature using a medium tower shield should still suffer the -2 penalty to its attack rolls "because of the shield's encumbrance." The Large creature in question is an advanced Medium monstrous humanoid; the advancement pumped its Strength from 12 to 20, plus bumped up its size category. Just looking at the Light Load column on the Carrying Capacity table in the PHB, this creature's gone from "43 lbs. or less" to "133 lbs. or less" from the increase in Strength alone; the size increase doubles this amount to 266 lbs. or less. Should a 45.-lb. tower shield still cause the -2 attack roll penalty when the creature's carrying capacity has gone up so dramatically?

On the flipside, a Medium tower shield isn't as big as a Large one. Should I consider maybe cutting its AC bonus to +3, or perhaps leave it at +4 but remove its ability to give total concealment?

Any suggestions would be appreciated (esp. if they come before game time - 8 PM Eastern tonight).

kjenks

First Post
Demmero said:
Are there any rules that deal with the effects of a creature using a shield made for something smaller than itself?

There are no rules. Make it up.

A reasonable house rule would be to treat the character as being non-proficient in an incorrectly-sized shield, so you would apply the sheild's armor check penalty against appropriate skills and attack rolls.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
My suggestion would be that a Large creature can't use a Medium creatures Tower shield at all. However it your wanting to hold onto it because of magic properties I'd rule that the staps and handle can be resized and the shield can then be employed as a heavy shield.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads