• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Large metal character

escaflowne777

First Post
I'm going absolutely insane out here in idaho with no one that plays DnD so i've started to just make characters so I'll be prepared when the sacred time comes. So recently I've been thinking about a fighter with full plate, and a large sized greatsword (monkey grip obviously). Yeah, I know, kinda boring. But I've been trying to find feats and other aspects to help play up the fact that he's huge and fairly impervious to small amounts of damage or feeble attacks, and has a giant metal cleaver strapped to his back. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Damage reduction for sure, I know there's a feat out there. Power attack and cleave are a must.

R1C0F3TT

First Post
If you take a race like the goliath (races of stone) that can wield large weapons without feats, then take the monkey grip feat, you'll be able to have a huge greatsword. I'm not sure how much damage it would do, but it's probably about 4d6 damage.

Thurbane

First Post
I'm pretty sure it's been established that Monkey Grip and Powerful Build do not stack. Strongarm Bracers (MIC) and Monkey Grip do, however...

akbearfoot

First Post
Just name your guy Guts and get it over with. It's ok...I played a druid once designed after Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. One of my most memorable characters ever. :)

Your weapon can resemble pretty much anything you want it to, as long as it is mechanically equivalent to something normal....ie have a gigantic tree sized Zweihander if you want to, just write it down as a 'great sword' on your character sheet.

Monkey grip is an awful feat. I'd suggest skipping it. Johtunbrud is better if its allowed. Power attack is the meat and potatoes of anyone who wants to do a lot of melee damage....well other than big monks and sneak attackers.

escaflowne777

First Post
I've got the weapon facet of the character down pretty much (just so i can check it out though, where may I find Johtunbrud). Is there a feat where a fighter can get DR?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, for starters, you can't go wrong with a Warforged (Eberron) with the Adamantine Skin feat - DR 2/Adamantine right off the bat.

Remove ads