• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Large Warforged

Kabol

First Post
I have a Buddy wanting to play a Large Warforged in an Upcomming Game ( opposed to Med. sized as is Default ). Now, im looking all over trying to find out How to do this, what LA to place on it what Stat boost/penelties to apply

So, If anyone can Help me out, gimme a place to look. Or toss your idea into the ring would be most appreciated.

SteelDraco

First Post
I've been contemplating setting up a chart or something for allowing warforged to pick up some additional stuff for an ECL. For some reason, I have a recurring image of a warforged with wheels, and thus a faster move speed, running around in my head. A warforged designed as a scout/fast recon unit seems like it might be amusing, if you pick up some of the archery feats and Shot on the Run.

For large size, it's not terribly clear. Just being large, without any further modifications, I'd just peg as a solid +1 ECL. It's good, but not really overpowered IMO. This is a fairly debatable point, but that's how I feel about it. Most of the time, you get a few points of Str and Con for increasing to Large size, and lose some Dex. This usually pushes things into the ECL +2 category.

In Eberron, the warforged are set up so that you buy additional modifications with feats, not ECL. Being Large is too good to be set up like, say, Body of Adamantine is. You could, I suppose, say that it takes up your 1st level AND your 3rd level feat slot, but that's a bit kludgy design, IMO.

If somebody in my group wanted to do this, I'd give them +4 Str, an additional +2 Con, and -2 Dex in addition to the warforged base stat modifiers, and maybe a slight increase in the base warforged armor. I'd just call it a straight +2 ECL at that point, meaning that you couldn't play it before 3rd level, when you'd have one class level.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'd go the way of AU and give them 3 hit dice. AU giants with all 3 racial levels have +4 strength, +2 Con, -2 Dex, and +2 Wis. They're Large and (IIRC) have a bonus to Craft checks. Just for a comparison.

Zephyrus

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
I'd go the way of AU and give them 3 hit dice. AU giants with all 3 racial levels have +4 strength, +2 Con, -2 Dex, and +2 Wis. They're Large and (IIRC) have a bonus to Craft checks. Just for a comparison.

Their is the Half Giant in Expanded Psionic's Handbook. One of the abilities defines what it can and cant do as it is a psudo-large creature. Doing it as a Feat alone is a bad idea <I let someone playtest it out with terriable results>. Sadly any PC thats size large unless some MAJOR restrictions are placed on the class needs to be ECL +1 or more.

just the nature of being 'large' has several effects for the character.... size effects on grapple and bull rush like special manuvers, weight loads, weapon sizes (and thus damage), possible reach, penalties to hide... And thats w/o stat modifiers to STR, CON & DEX that many people will feel compelled to add (cause a STR 10 half giant like character just plain comes across as silly!)

evolved

First Post
maybe you could expand the warforged juggernaut and one of the construct perfections could be a sructural refit that gives the half giants powerful frame ability and another perfection might be a full set of extensions making the constrcut large

iceifur

Explorer
We tested out a +2 LA for a Large Warforged and it worked out just fine (the lack of HD really hurt, but was mitigated a bit by the additional Con). YMMV, though.

-B-

Arkhandus

First Post
According to the Monster Manual, making a Medium creature Large normally includes the following: +8 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, +4 to Constitution, +2 to natural armor, and the standard general modifiers for being size Large (i.e. -1 size penalty to attack rolls and Armor Class, -4 size penalty on Hide checks, greater carrying capacity, 1d4 base subdual/nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes, +4 size bonus on grapple checks and stuff, etc.). It also normally involves gaining a 10-foot reach (15 feet when wielding stuff like longspears). Savage Species says the additional reach is worth a +1 Level Adjustment, and the unbalanced ability score modifiers are worth another +1 LA, while the natural armor is worth another +1 LA.

Personally I'm not so sure the natural armor itself is worth an LA increase, so I'd say give the Large Warforged a total +2 LA. Note that being size Large does not in and of itself provide a Level Adjustment normally, it's only the associated 10-foot reach and the ability modifiers/natural armor that provide LA. If you want to keep the LA down to +1, then reduce the Strength adjustment to +2, the Constitution adjustment to +2, and the natural armor increase to +1. That will leave them with a +1 LA in exchange for +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +1 natural armor, size Large, and 10-foot reach. That would still be a relatively powerful +1 LA, but at least would be playable and reasonably close to balanced. It would also be a very lanky, skinny, yet tall Warforged.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads