• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LARP Video

Irysangel

First Post
I think that's Amtgard.

I'd know cause I played for several years.

As for if you should play or not.....ask yourself the following quiz:

1. Do I mind people using drugs around me?
2. Drinking?
3. Do I really mind casual sex and a general state of debauchery?
4. Am I able to stand up to a bit of teasing? (LARPers are a bit hard on newbies).
5. Can I run around in full armor in 110 degree weather mid-summer?
6. Do I mind if the women look like men and the men dress in tights?
7. Does it bother me if the majority of LARPers have generally bad hygiene (especially teeth)?

If you don't mind any of this, hey! You were BORN to LARP baby!

Check out the Amtgard site if you're interested in that particular one (I think Amtgard is concentrated mostly in the Southern Regions of the US).

www.amtgard.com

Ciao!

Neo

Explorer
I have Live Roleplayed some years back I used to play with a society called "The Realm" out in a place called Lodgemoor near where I live every sunday, great fun.

I even recieved an Experience plus on the character i was playing once (A Warrior/Necromancer) when during an encounter I was KO'ed during this time my group robbed me (in character of course <chuckle>) and the during our trip back to the in were overheard speaking of it...... I got the experience plus for successfully assassinating the entire group :)

chatting at the back of the group about how weak those orcs were and intentionally slowing your pace to increase the distance from the main group I cut the throat of the group medic, covering his mouth to prevent him calling for help.

I then moved quickly and quietly up behind the groups mage and repeated it, and as we were close to the rest of the group now quickly did the same to the remaining three fighters, the last managed to get his hand up in time but that didn;t help him much either.

Upon returning to town I was questioned by a high level guild leader (who hired us) about what happened to the group.....I told a sad tale, which sadly he didn;t fall for due to some spell in effect apparently.

Seeing he was not falling for this, I quickly cut his throat too... at this point the High Level guild leader called the GM, and stated that he actually wore a gorget so his throat couldn't be cut, now the player hadn;t actually brought nor wore the physrep (physical representation) for it. As there was a rule stating no physrep no item. But because he was high level and I was low level the GM judged i his favour and I was summarily slaughtered by the high level character.

It was a very bad call and a breach of thier own rules....I never LRP'ed again after that.

Irysangel said:
I think that's Amtgard.

I'd know cause I played for several years.

As for if you should play or not.....ask yourself the following quiz:

1. Do I mind people using drugs around me?
2. Drinking?
3. Do I really mind casual sex and a general state of debauchery?
4. Am I able to stand up to a bit of teasing? (LARPers are a bit hard on newbies).
5. Can I run around in full armor in 110 degree weather mid-summer?
6. Do I mind if the women look like men and the men dress in tights?
7. Does it bother me if the majority of LARPers have generally bad hygiene (especially teeth)?

Ciao!

Huh,

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"1-3"

So, I'm down with #1,2 and 3, am fine with #4, and have no problems with #5.

On the other hand, #6 and #7, taken in combination with the first three, fill me with weepy fear. ;)

Looks like I'll have to settle for indulging in #1,2 and 3 at the local clubs.

Actually, I say more power to the NEROs and Amptgards of the world. It may look dorky to a lot of people, but at least there the players actually have to get up off their butts and move around a bit.

Plus, I can say from experience that the SCA is fun, and that isn't that different from LARP.

Patrick Y.

GreyOne

Explorer
Heh. That does diddley squat for me. Minis and paper maps are enough for me. It's too bad monsters weren't real. I bet if the organizers released one, everyone dressed up like a hero would wet their pants and run away.

Hey. Maybe that could be the 'plot' of a new slasher film. Young LARPers go to a remote back country for some pre-marital sex and LARP, and are promptly picked off one by one in gruesome scenes of slaughter by a 'real' monster. ;)

Phowett

First Post
GreyOne said:
Heh. That does diddley squat for me. Minis and paper maps are enough for me. It's too bad monsters weren't real. I bet if the organizers released one, everyone dressed up like a hero would wet their pants and run away.

Hey. Maybe that could be the 'plot' of a new slasher film. Young LARPers go to a remote back country for some pre-marital sex and LARP, and are promptly picked off one by one in gruesome scenes of slaughter by a 'real' monster. ;)

LOL. that'd be a good low-budget film with bad acting. :)

GreyOne said:

As opposed to what would happen if a monster was released in the local gamer basement, where everyone pretending to be a hero would wet their pants and be literally unable to achieve running speed.

Patrick Y. :)

GreyOne

Explorer
Arcane Runes Press said:

As opposed to what would happen if a monster was released in the local gamer basement, where everyone pretending to be a hero would wet their pants and be literally unable to achieve running speed.

Patrick Y. :)

True. True. ;)

Fenris

Adventurer
I guess I have LARPed. We didn't call it that though. A bunch of us in my fencing club would go out to the woods. There were three PCs a DM and 12 "orcs". The fun part was the combat was real fencing. We wore our masks and used standard foils but it was fun running through the woods and ambushing them. The PCs did have a few spells but not in that quantity (3 magic missles and a fireball). Combat was a madhouse (as it should be) but we only counted on target hits. The PCs had a mission to accomplish and we had to stop them. It was quite fun. But far more like a game in the odds. In fact out DM & fencing coach called it Live action D&D. I don't think I would like what was in the video though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads