• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Ditch Evasion

serch

Explorer
What about "Last Ditch Evasion", 10 th level fighter utility exploit? The fluff seems to indicate that you manage to avoid an enemy attack, but the crunch speaks only about avoiding "damage". Do you guys think that you escape other effects that a hit can provide, you know, negative ones for you and party, and positive ones for enemies? :cool:

Kordeth

First Post
Fluff is never part of the justification for how a power works. In this case, the text of the power is clear: "You take no damage from the attack that just hit you." The power doesn't negate a hit, only damage, so you still suffer any non-damage effects that trigger on a hit.

serch

Explorer
I think like you do in respect to the consequence of using the power, but last ditch evasion is a power labeled as interrupt, so if the trigger is the hit and the power invalidates it, it never happenned (PHB 268). So I don't exactly share the explanation you give ;)

Kordeth

First Post
serch said:
I think like you do in respect to the consequence of using the power, but last ditch evasion is a power labeled as interrupt, so if the trigger is the hit and the power invalidates it, it never happenned (PHB 268). So I don't exactly share the explanation you give ;)

Interrupts only cancel actions if they invalidate them. The use of this power does not invalidate the attack or the fact that the attack hit you. Again, note that the power says "You take no damage from the attack that just hit you," not "you negate the hit." The wording of the power is clear that it only cancels out the damage and you are still considered hit by the attack.

Rogue problem

First Post
Do you all know if you can decide to use Last Ditch Evasion after you see what the damage will be to you, or do you have to make that decision right away?

Rogue problem

First Post
Last Ditch evasion

Do you all know if you can decide to use Last Ditch Evasion after you see what the damage will be to you, or do you have to make that decision right away?

Kordeth

First Post

It depends entirely on how much of a hardcase your DM is about breaking things down into precise steps. Technically, the trigger is "an attack hits you," not "you take damage from an attack," so by a super-strict reading of the rules your DM can say "You're hit--do you want to use any interrupts?" and then tell you how much damage you take.

In practice though, most people treat the hit and the damage as a single result, and will say something like "the bugbear hits you for 5 damage." It keeps things moving at a reasonable pace, and IMHO there's absolutely no reason to make a player waste a daily power on an attack that inflicts 1 point of damage.

chitzk0i

Explorer
...so by a super-strict reading of the rules your DM can say "You're hit--do you want to use any interrupts?" and then tell you how much damage you take.

I don't know if this applies to interrupts in general, but the Staff of Defense ability calls out that you can use it after you know the damage.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Mmm.. some things wouldn't make sense in the continuity.. if the attack does no damage, you shouldn't be slowed or stunned or whatever by it. I consider that non-numerical 'damage.' If my hit lets me shift, though, I still get my shift despite the lack of damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads