Last Stand of the Dorinthians (Chapter 3 - The Imperials)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Silas lets Nikolos' indominitable good nature siphon off his flush of irritation. "Forgive me, Witness. Emotions concerning this subject are, as you might understand, still somewhat raw. I would agree, it would seem that your Seeker has indeed led you to the proper place and time to hear the Dorinthian viewpoint." As he begins ladling out servings of a thick stew and crusty bread he says, "It isn't much but you are more than welcome to a share."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
After recognizing Nikolos' healing abilities, and his interest in Dorinthia's side of the story, the party invites the priest to join them and see the Dorinthian people for himself. The offer is too exciting to pass up, and his band increases your number.

Upon thinking on Dartis' words, Cal asks for an extra moment alone to talk to the dryad. She hadn't come from her tree for quite some time (not even for Barok), although as the group leaves and allows Cal a moment alone, you see her come forth once more to speak quietly with the man. What words are exchanged, you do not know, although Cal seems to have gained a necklace made of twined and somehow threaded leaves.

The party arrives as heroes once more in the dwarven kingdom, although even the dwarves seem to be slowing down on the alcohol and more appreciative of simple pleasures, such as drinking sips of water to alleviate morning headaches... soon the party, its ragtag army, and the rest of the refugees are supplied and on the way north.

OOC: Closing Chapter 3, the Imperials. Link to Chapter 4...
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3347189#post3347189

Fenris

Adventurer
Nephtys said:
[sblock=Dartis and DT]
"You really believe you're going to restore Dorinthia again? That you can put everything back together, bring us victory and peace and then give yourself a crown? With this?" he gestures to the encampment. "No, Dorinthia is lost. Her people murdered or in chains, her towns and fields in ashes inhabited only by beasts and ghosts. All we can do now is seek our vengeance and our deaths like men."
"You don't think I grieve only because I do not wallow in it? I have lost as much as any of you, but this is not the time for tears. These,"
he touches one of his wounds and the crusted blood surrounding it, "are the only tears I'm going to cry. And if I seek some pleasure on my way to death, can you blame me?"
[/sblock]

[sblock=Barok and DT]

Dartis listens to Baroks words and is silent a moment.
"Then why are you here? Why not run after the Imperial column and die 'like a man'? Why not go and through your life away if you have lost so much and are seeking death?

And truley then why did you lead the refugees back to the hills? Dorinthia is lost only when we allow Her to be. You are right that this is not the time for tears, but neither of wtaer nor of blood. Nor is it time for vengance. That time will come. But if you truley have lost hope, then leave us, seek your death as you wish and find vengance as you can.

But I think there is more to you Barok. Some compassion must still dwell within you. Some pride of being Dorinthian. Why else would you lead those people to safety if 'her people are murdered or in chains, her towns and fields are ashes inhabited only by beasts and ghosts' ?

So long as I draw breath I will seek to protect Dorinthia and her people, no matter where the live. If you cannot understand that I pity you. And I will not have you compromising the future of Dorinthia. A fool I may be, but that hope is all those refugees have, and I will not fail them.

Your choice is your own. I will release you from any obilgation the Dorinthian army holds you to. But can you ever free yourself from the obligations you owe it the army and to Dorinthia?"

And Dartis turns and walks away to leave Barok to his thoughts. [/sblock]

Remove ads