• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

last will and testament

roguerouge

First Post
All right, this is, perhaps, a bit out there. Have any of you run or been dm for a character that has had a last will and testament?

I run a character who's faced the grim reaper often enough to make such a document both desirable and necessary. I went looking for a free template on the web and couldn't find anything, however. As the character is very lawful, however, a formal document would be desirable for flavor purposes.

I got to thinking about it and realized that this would be something many lawful characters might have. Done regularly, it might reduce the likelihood of a party squabbling over the possessions of their recently deceased friend....

So:
Does anyone have anecdotes of players whose characters have used a will? How did it work in game and out? How do your games handle death and legal processes? (I'm not asking about murder and the town watch here, but any other aspect is welcome...)

Does anyone know of a free website where a template of a last will and testament might be found? Does anyone have a document that they would like to post as an example? Thanks for your time....

Roguerouge

Kilmore

First Post
I can't think of anything in particular, but I do remember that some real old 1E character sheets, Armory I think, had a box for your character's will in it. Just to show that you're not all that far out there bringing it up.

Kilmore

First Post
BTW, Welcome to EN World, and good question to start with.

For the record, my character Felroe's will: "I bequeath five thousand crowns (gp) to the temple of Ulthril, Lord of the Dead, so they may verily bring my dead butt back to life."

Goobermunch

Explorer
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
Did they actually have (something akin to) testaments in the middle ages?

TS

Depends on how you define the middle ages. King Henry VIII approved the "Statute of Wills" in 1540. That created the requirement that a will be in writing. Clearly the concept of a will had existed prior to that point and was quite widespread (otherwise, why would Parliament bother to regulate it?).

Back to the original poster: All my old 1e characters had wills. There was a space for a will on the character sheet. It seemed foolish not to leave some instructions.

I'm starting a Ghostwalk campaign in a few weeks. Wills will be encouraged.

--G

Wombat

First Post
I have seen references to wills (and, of course, dying requests) dating back to the 13tn century, but I'd be hard pressed to dig up the material on the spur of the moment...

Certainly the Romans had wills, and many things that existed during the time of the Roman Empire were admired (and often recreated, albeit with changes) in medieval Europe.

MarauderX

Explorer
In my campaign worlds, all property and such goes to the next of kin of the same sex. If there are no children, it goes to the wife, or mother, cousin, etc. that survives her. It is an established tradition with no need for a will, and all that are lawful usually respect these traditions.

I attached a generic form for wills that applies to this day and age, but I am sure it can be altered to fit the PC as necessary... if it is necessary. :( :D

Oh, in case you are wondering I am NOT a lawyer (not even a game lawyer, yet); I have the forms so I don't need one.

Attachments

• will information form(lr).doc
    31 KB · Views: 431

Anavel Gato

First Post
well sort of....

In the second part of "Giants" module, my character took all of the members of the original group and told them that if he died (again, he is an elf ranger, giant killer, he gets killed alot or at least he did in his first two modules)to take his sword to his adopted children and give it to them and to look out for them. that is the closest thing we have had to a will.

I guess most of the time the adventurer is a loner and wouldn't really have any one to leave his or her things for....

The will idea is a good way to get some background on a character though...thats good

roguerouge

First Post
That will document was excellent: formal and flexible! Thanks!

The idea came to me after my character died in twice in three encounters and three times in five, after going years without even one.... There's only so many times you can push your luck while scouting, I guess.

I thought it would be a good way for the character to say goodbye, ensure character goals got followed up on, get last digs in, etc. But, you're right as well, of course. It is a good way to develop characters at the start. (Imagine making it a regular feature of hiring mercenaries...) My intention was to use it as a device to periodically revisit the character from a new perspective. A will really is a final summation of a life and its values, so it does seem like a good character building exercise. (I wonder how a visit to the lawyer would work in game....)

I especially liked the provision for a living will and power of attorney for health care decisions. It seems apt.

Roguerouge

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
HackMaster actually discusses at some length (given that I can't think of any other games that discuss them at all) wills and other documents characters might have. Matter of fact, the HM character record packet that can be bought actually has an entire page for the last will and testament, on the back outer cover. It could easily be used for D&D.

Remove ads