Latest D&D Survey Says "More Feats, Please!"; Plus New Survey About DMs Guild, Monster Hunter, Inqui

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

Find the survey results here. The most requested extra content is more feats, followed by classes, spells and races, in that order.

Ahglock

First Post
I think the math is confusing people. My players have figured out that the bounded accuracy leads to situations where on average the PCs already have a mathematical advantage in most cases, which freed them up to pick feats, especially ones which offered interesting synergies. I think there's a strong argument to be made that the pure math advocates for ASI are missing the forest for the trees.

I agree while the asi is more effective by the math and If that's what you want go for it. Your to hit stat is more important because given how short fights are a miss is a big % of damage gone. But if you embrace the I'm good enough 5e culture though, being a bit less effective is worth the cool. You are still going to hit more often than not so go for it. But if you are going for pure effectiveness take the stat increase in a everything is is equal sense.

That being said tables differ blah blah. If your DM sets up the right enemies, threats, challenges etc a feat can be massively more powerful than a stat increase. In the right campaign actors ability to help impersonate people can be huge. Against the right enemy composition heavy weapon mastery a normally strong feat becomes obscene etc.

I want my players capabilities to look obscenely too good in many cases so in my games feats usually are more powerful though not as powerful as having a background story I can work with. It's the same idea for me. Feats like a background are customization for the character and hooks for a DM to work a story around.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Board games work similarly, periodically releasing a large evergreen expansion that changes the rules of the game and adds new options, but are firmly optional and you seldom play with more than 1 or 2 at a time. And they don't continue indefinitely; the company just sustains itself on slower but regular sales of the core material and expansions, with the occasional small revision of the rules or repackaging of the material.

I like this comparison a lot actually. When you look at games like Catan with around 20 million copies sold, and the fact that there are so many comparable titles (unlike RPGs), it is hard to imagine them not considering the success of those models. Although, given how WOTC has handled boardgames so far, compared to other companies, who knows. A neat thing about the comparison though, is that 20 years later, people are still playing base Catan.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Looking at this discussion there seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards the idea of more options in general when they're for the player, with some outright stating that this is one of the biggest ways to impact tables in a bad way. Why is that?
Every time you add a new option that players can take, there's a chance it has an unexpected/excessive synergy with some other pre-existing option. The more options you add, the more potential cross-interactions, and the more fragile, complex, and prone to 'breaking' (mainly in terms of balance, but even in terms of functionality) the game becomes. It's a consequence of the /kind/ of design D&D traditionally uses, in which each new option is to some extent mechanically novel (otherwise, why have it, right?) and is just added to the existing list (a 'list based system').

One alternative to that is an 'effects based' system, that has a fixed number of mechanics that model end results of actions or abilities, rather than having many different sub-systems that bring about the same results in conceptually different ways. In an effects based system, an arrow, bullet, magic missile or death ray would all be 'the same' (in that they'd all be attacks that kill, though some might be a lot more potent examples), adding a 'fire bolt' to that system would be something the player could do by using those same mechanics to an appropriate power-level (number of points in a build system, for instance) and re-skinning them. That's not hypothetical, that's how Hero System worked going back to the first ed of Champions! c1981. (And, no, I'm not shilling for Hero System - it's last edition lost me, and I haven't played or run it this decade.)

I'm primarily a player myself, and don't really understand the hostility. I love making characters, mechanically and through narrative, and every time Wizards releases an expansion to character options my field of possible characters and experiences in 5E gets bigger and better. What's wrong with that? Has it always been this way?
It most certainly has not always been this way. It was arguably this way 20 or 30 (or 40!) years ago, but it's precisely because the last two edition offered many player options, and whether under the rubric of 'system mastery' or 'RAW' or 'balance' or 'Everything is Core' fostered this idea that players were /entitled/ to those options (thus 'player entitlement'). The current hostility to out of control expansion of player options is a reaction to those years.

2e is a funky beast.
It had a lot of splatbooks early on, but the big hardcovers were not very PC focused: Book of Artifacts, Legends & Lore, and such. There was pretty much only Tome of Magic for players.
Bloat is bloat, whichever side of the screen it happens on. And there was more to the 'players option' series than Tome of Magic.

Bloat is what drove me away from 2e about half-way through it's run. It had too much going on, and the system wasn't robust enough to handle it (compared, say, to 3e). Maybe playing Storyteller in the mean time acclimated me to faster paces of publication, so I was better able to tolerate 3e & 4e in spite of that, but 2e definitely suffered from the issue, quite dramatically. In that sense, for me, 5e really harkens back to early 1e and a book-a-year pace.

At the risk of edition warring
That was the 'land mine' in my analogy, yes. ;)
But, why take that risk?

We're getting close with fighters, yeah. There's a lot of UA options. They might need a little tweaking in terms of power, but there's a goodly amount of options there. But UA's a good place for that content since they can churn it out safely
It's all opt-in, yes, so pretty safe. The 'official'/core fighter options remain the original three. They've also been neatly designed to avoid any sort of cross-pollination - several UA fighter sub-classes get CS dice, but what they can do with them doesn't rub off on the BM, for instance. That'd bode well for 5e's robustness in the face of bloat if the same held true for other sub-classes, like the Bladesinger, but it doesn't. :shrug:

But D&D can't do that and needs to keep it's products always in stock. So building too many books becomes an issue.
I think, with the 5e paradigm, they could afford to keep just the core 3 books 'evergreen,' and let supplements have a more limited life - go out of print, be legal in AL for a season or year or two, then gone. Something like that has been working for their CCG lines, I believe (I don't follow them closely, so I could be mistaken).

Last edited by a moderator:

flametitan

Explorer
I think, with the 5e paradigm, they could afford to keep just the core 3 books 'evergreen,' and let supplements have a more limited life - go out of print, be legal in AL for a season or year or two, then gone. Something like that has been working for their CCG lines, I believe (I don't follow them closely, so I could be mistaken).
Generally for CCGs when older sets go out of print, some of the cards in that set may end up seeing a reprint. Generally this is more for universal utility cards, or popular cards from a themed set when that theme is revisited. After all, why make a new card that does the same thing as an older card if said older card can still keep up with the power creep? (Obviously if power creep leaves a card in the dust then a new card would be designed to take its place.)

In an RPG context, I would assume the core rulebooks would take the place of the cards that keep seeing reprints, but splatbooks would fall into the one off expansion cards, which may get reprinted if the game returns to it. After all, if D&D leaves the Sword Coast for a bit (Say, a couple years, enough for the SCAG to be phased out) and then returns, why should it make a new book if the SCAG material's still valid when they come back?

Arilyn

Hero
Getting off the feat issue, I was a little surprised to see cleric rate so highly as used class. I find the cleric to be kind of flavourless, as many of the domains are weak or uninteresting. What do other people think? Are you liking the cleric?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Getting off the feat issue, I was a little surprised to see cleric rate so highly as used class. I find the cleric to be kind of flavourless, as many of the domains are weak or uninteresting. What do other people think? Are you liking the cleric?
I think with 7 domains just in the PH (second only to the Wizard in number of sub-classes), it wouldn't be strange for people to find at least one flavor of cleric they find interesting.

Besides, ancient D&D dogma: the party needs a cleric. ;)

Arilyn

Hero
I think with 7 domains just in the PH (second only to the Wizard in number of sub-classes), it wouldn't be strange for people to find at least one flavor of cleric they find interesting.

Besides, ancient D&D dogma: the party needs a cleric. ;)
Yes, but my paladin is doing just as well with her lay on hands in the healing department, and my bard from last year had the healing feat (whoops, talking about feats), and he was a better healer than the typical cleric.

I like the war, tempest and light domains but the others, not so much. Why does a nature cleric have proficiency with heavy armour? The trickery domain is really weak, and not all that tricky. Having abilities coming off channeling can be a problem, as you don't actually get to use channelling that often.

Anyway, I was just wondering, because clerics have been losing their popularity in our group, and wondering if this is happening elsewhere. They are getting replaced with characters and the healing feat. To be honest, I think the healing feat might be a bit broken, especially if you can wave those bandages around during combat. We don't actually allow that in our group...:)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
It was entirely flavor-related. I've never been able to see how a border patrol/survivalist became tightly coupled to TWF. I don't really object to it as an option (the 3.5 ban was mainly inertia), but to have it suddenly pop up as a defining feature of the class was very bizarre. I also didn't care for the 2E Ranger becoming, essentially, a Druidic Paladin. I always liked that the Ranger got some Magic-User spells and took that as an indication that they earned all their spells through study and practice, not through any sort of religious/spiritual connection to nature or the old gods.

Really, the 2E Ranger was not a descendant of the 1E Ranger. It had some similar themes -- a wilderness fighter who could cast spells and was good against humanoids. It also changed quite a bit -- TWF, no arcana, lower hit points, lost some of the "guardian" aspect. I like the 1E Ranger and dislike the 2E Ranger and everything that inherits from it. I hadn't actually realized the disconnect until you asked your question, though. I doubt I'll ever be able to give a Ranger class a fair shake. The 5E version might be a good reconciliation of the 1E and 2E versions, though -- with the simple change of using the 2d6 Hit Dice from the UA version (I also liked Ambuscade, flavor-wise, but toned it down to a free bonus action).

That said, I loathe Drizzt and the Realms. I think my disdain of the 2E Ranger probably fuels my ire at Drizzt more than the other way around, though. I'd probably view Drizzt in much the same way as I do Elminster (a pathetic, poorly-written, but ultimately dismiss-able, Mary Sue) if he wasn't also iconic for the 2E Ranger.

Be prepared to hate Drizzt even more. It's that character's fault that the 2e (and subsequent) ranger was the TWF king... Drizzt's original stats were made with a 1e ranger with the drow race from Unearthed Arcana (drow being inherently ambidextrous in those rules). So, when 2e rolled around the ranger got Drizzt's TWF and (apparently) drow lost their natural ambidexterity. So whereas the character was originally modeled on the 1e rules, the 2e rules were modeled on the character. Because fanboys or something.

Remove ads

Remove ads