Latest D&D Survey Says "More Feats, Please!"; Plus New Survey About DMs Guild, Monster Hunter, Inqui

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

Find the survey results here. The most requested extra content is more feats, followed by classes, spells and races, in that order.

It seems like some kind of psychic/mystic feat is likely, as a fair number of feats could be seen as "take a little of class X and put it into another class" (martial adept, magic initiate, and sneaky) and that doesn't seem like it is breaking anything. Of course, if they do this, it wouldn't hurt for them to do something similar for the monk (martial arts feat?), the paladin (holy warrior feat?), and the barbarian (fight mad feat?). Not sure what those feats would be, but that seems like a "safe" area to expand feats.

Awesome Adam

First Post
Feats were one the best things about 3rd edition, hindered only by the ridiculous feat trees required to get the good ones, and then the overly specialized ones.

Want to make something that functions exactly like a potion, but you eat it like a cookie ? Take the Brew Potion feat, and then at another level, take the Bake Magic Confections Feat. Sure you just wasted a feat on something that's basically a RP effect, and has little to no effect on gameplay, but it was worth it wasn't it ?

No, the answer is no.

I was happy to see the 5E feats were designed without prerequisite feats.

The other problem with 'extra feats' is that ASI's are just plain better. So until you've maxed your stat at 20, why take a feat? Personally I like the cool things some feats provide so I would go for them (at a pure mechanical disadvantage), but the small number of ASI/feat slots means feats are under utilised at my table. We rarely (read never!) make it beyond the early teen levels and normally variant humans the only feats seen.

Valetudo

Adventurer
The other problem with 'extra feats' is that ASI's are just plain better. So until you've maxed your stat at 20, why take a feat? Personally I like the cool things some feats provide so I would go for them (at a pure mechanical disadvantage), but the small number of ASI/feat slots means feats are under utilised at my table. We rarely (read never!) make it beyond the early teen levels and normally variant humans the only feats seen.

Try ditching variant humans and giving everyone a feat at first. Its a powerbuff but it also encourages players concepts.

flametitan

Explorer
And a third thing to be careful of: Feats that do cool things run the risk of locking out what would normally be a cool improvised thing.

"No, you can't judo throw the goblin, you don't have the "throw people" Feat".

Ahglock

First Post
And a third thing to be careful of: Feats that do cool things run the risk of locking out what would normally be a cool improvised thing.

"No, you can't judo throw the goblin, you don't have the "throw people" Feat".

That happened a lot in 3e. One of my biggest beefs with some of those feats. I haven't really seen that in 5e yet.

Ahglock

First Post
Try ditching variant humans and giving everyone a feat at first. Its a powerbuff but it also encourages players concepts.

Why ditch variant human. If anything he is more balanced now as 2 feats when everyone has one is less impressive than 1 fest when everyone has 0. The +1 to every stat option is just bad mechanically. I'd still play it as I prefer humans no matter how bad they are but variant human is closer to balanced with non humans than standard human is.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Why ditch variant human. If anything he is more balanced now as 2 feats when everyone has one is less impressive than 1 fest when everyone has 0. The +1 to every stat option is just bad mechanically. I'd still play it as I prefer humans no matter how bad they are but variant human is closer to balanced with non humans than standard human is.

Just give everyone a bonus feat if you're feeling like your characters are having to sacrifice too many ability score boosts to get cool abilities. It's also a good way to create slightly more "powered" characters in a setting more like a super hero movie or a fantasy epic.

Valetudo

Adventurer

Because having two feats at first level is overkill and kinda puts the system balance out of whack. Yes I agree that standerd humans arent guite insync with the other races, but two feats widens that gap not shorten it.

Remove ads

Remove ads