Latest Rule of Three 05/29/2012

fuindordm

Adventurer
I'm liking the skill system so far.

I'm excited about the "magic dials" too, but if DDN is going to support low-magic play then I really hope it has a wide selection of non-spell casting classes. I'd be thrilled if Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Thief, Assassin, and Warlord were all in the PH core.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
My biggest concern about all the talk of modularity, dials, and options is that it seems likely to create a lot of 'moving parts' that haven't been tested together and can wildly swing balance.
It needs to be tested, true. But if they don't allow 'high' or 'wide' magic, we can kiss Eberron goodbye (the RAI do so currently).

Steely_Dan

First Post
I'm excited about the "magic dials" too, but if DDN is going to support low-magic play then I really hope it has a wide selection of non-spell casting classes. I'd be thrilled if Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Thief, Assassin, and Warlord were all in the PH core.

You may get your wish, if they stick to the every class from a PHB 1 from every edition is included.

I would also like a system that supports an all Rogue party.

I also seem to recall them mentioning the Assassin being an example of a complicated class.

Hussar

Legend
My biggest concern about all the talk of modularity, dials, and options is that it seems likely to create a lot of 'moving parts' that haven't been tested together and can wildly swing balance.

OTOH, if they stick to this flat math bit, then balance becomes a much easier beast to manage.

Most of the unbalancing stuff (certainly not all, but the prime suspects) are the +X stuff, particularly the Stat buff magic items which affect the entire character, rather than one specific element.

If you have very flat math and scrap the +X stuff (or make it very, very rare), then a lot of the balancing issues go away. Doing extra damage on a hit from your flame tongue sword isn't usually going to unbalance the character. Gaining +4 to Strength, which affects your to hit, to damage, skills and probably other stuff as well, does.

Remove ads