• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lava damage?

Ninja-to

First Post
I could have sworn I saw lava damage somewhere in one of the books. Someone fell into lava in our game last week and couldn't find out what the effects should be. Anyone remember? Plz post where you found it too if you don't mind. :)

Ryujin

Legend
Whatever the damage is, it should be in the scale of a hazard for the given levels. For example in a 16th level encounter, in Revenge of the Giants, it's 5 fire damage for starting your turn adjacent to the lava flow and 25 damage for being in it, at the start of your turn.

I think it's in fantastic terrain in the DMG.

IIRC it does 30 ongoing fire damage and slows you. It probably has a level; low-level PCs should try to stay away from lava!

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm using a river of magma in a particular scene in my next adventure. The rules I'm using are:
- Any creature being forced into the magma gets a saving throw to stop themselves. If they make the save, they fall prone at the edge of the magma and take no damage.
- For each square of magma a character enters, they take High Damage (see below) and are slowed (save ends)
- High Damage varies by level (see below)
- Since this particular adventure is designed to be run at any of five levels in the heroic tier, I use a table to define what High Damage is at various levels

Heroic%20Table.jpg

malraux

First Post
More seriously, what I'd do is figure out roughly what your party's striker can do as crit damage in an ideal situation (i.e. gets his striker bonus damage, etc) and use that number. Assuming you don't want lava to be deadly, then it should be something that really really hurts.

Kinneus

Explorer
We had this come up in a game recently. We were level 10 at the time. The DM ruled that the lava caused ongoing 5 fire damage, and that you couldn't save until you moved out of the lava.

If that seems soft, it's because he put the lava at the bottom of a 50-foot drop. On a rickety bridge. Crawling with creatures that push.

Of course, when the Fighter got hit, failed his save, and fell to the bottom, hovering just a few points above negative bloodied, we thought he was doomed. That's when he got a natural 20 on his death save, stood up, and hauled himself up out of the lava, thereby winning bragging rights for basically the rest of his life.

Remove ads