• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lava?

msherman

First Post
Lava-like threat for lower level pcs?

Interesting thread. I'm not much of a geologist -- is there any kind of lava-like terrain obstacle that would be level-appropriate for level 4 pcs fighting magma beasts? I'm thinking something along the lines of each square being difficult terrain that does 2d6 damage when you enter and again if you start your round in it. So it's a threat, but not an instant killer.

How would I describe that terrain reasonably? Clearly it's not flowing lava.

MarauderX

Explorer
Insta-death seems a little harsh... especially since I've laid out something a little risky. Ok, more than a little risky.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 153

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Interesting thread. I'm not much of a geologist -- is there any kind of lava-like terrain obstacle that would be level-appropriate for level 4 pcs fighting magma beasts? I'm thinking something along the lines of each square being difficult terrain that does 2d6 damage when you enter and again if you start your round in it. So it's a threat, but not an instant killer.

The solution I came up with was a pit of boiling mud. Still hot (probably the same as boiling water?) but probably not instant death of lava.

Whimsical

Explorer
So, I think the reason there aren't any rules for lava in 4th ed. D&D is because it's one of those effects that is left purposely for the DM to make it what they need it to be. Kinda like how ice increases in slipperyness as you go up in level. When you're low level, ice is really cold and only slightly slippery. So lava in a low level scenario would be cool lava that you could walk on and take 5 ongoing damage with a chance of breaking through.

chris.crouch

Explorer
This is what I'd do:

If it's meant to be a deadly threat, I'd look at the "Fall Severity by Character Level" table, DMG p44, to get a feel for how much damage a deadly threat could do.

If it's meant to be dangerous but not deadly - if I thought there was a good chance of one of the PCs ending up in the lava - I'd look at the damage expressions in the table on p42 of the DMG. I'd probably start with High/Normal, and work up to the Limited expressions.

Chris

Bayuer

First Post
Use dmg by levels table in dmg using the highest value for given level. For lvl 10 it will be 4d10+5 for 30 5d12+9 etc.

DMG p. 42.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads