Lazybones's Keep on the Shadowfell/Thunderspire Labyrinth

Lazybones

Adventurer
Gah, my ship date just changed to July 7. Looks like it'll be a while before I get my hands on the books. I started writing some of the actual story this week, but I quickly got to the point where I needed more than the KotS rules to proceed.

Example 1: character generation. Now that my pregens are safely deceased, I need some characters. :) I've created a few of my protagonists already (if not the stats for them), but I have a few slots that aren't fully defined in my character outline (at the moment, they're mostly archetypes). Anyone want to weigh in with some suggestions?

Fighter, ranger, and rogue are spoken for.

Baduin

First Post
I think it would be interesting to create a storyhour with optimized protagonists. Certainly anyone willing to fight in so deadly an environment would try to be optimized to the max. Professional Soldiers, although they don't run that kind of risks, try to get as optimized as they can, buying best equipment etc.

In that vein, I would suggest a control wizard with an orb, multiclassed into cleric or with Blood Mage paragon path. Here are quite interesting propositions:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1039126
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15997884&postcount=13

med stud

First Post
I'm in SH- heaven, both Lazybones and Dr Midnight starting story hours :).

About your last character, I would ask you to not have an optimized character. I would like to see how an average character can stand up to the module as written.

Black Bard

First Post
Back to the Future?

Five travelers were making good headway on the road, moving with purpose.
Oww! This bit of text was like going all the way back to Travelers , but in 4E!

I'm thrilled that you will write in 4E, Lazy! Just what I needed to get back to SH-paradise! :D

Cheers,
BB

Lazybones

Adventurer
Regarding optimization: I'm certainly going to make an effort to build effective characters, but I'm going to try to make them myself and avoid online guides for now. Part of the process of learning a new system. ;)

My long-time readers know that I often put story considerations above game effectiveness concerns, but I promise no gimped wizards this time. :)

I'm still waiting for my books, but I have put together some early chapters that aren't dependent on crunch. I quickly got to the point where I need concrete info to proceed, so the bulk of the story will have to wait for July. :(

Lazybones’s Keep on the Shadowfell

Chapter 1

Jaron Feldergrass looked out over the battlefield and shook his head in dismay.

He’d thought that the campaign was going well, but it seemed that his adversary was not one to admit defeat.

The halfling leapt down from the fence he’d used as his vantage point, landing lightly on the soft earth of his orchard. The saplings he’d planted last spring had taken well, for the most part, but he saw one peach tree that jutted at an awkward angle, a clear sign that the enemy had made an incursion there. For some reason, the badger seemed to want to make probes at a half-dozen spots each time it visited, as if it was consciously trying to nettle Jaron by spreading its damage as broadly across the farm as possible.

Jaron did not begrudge the creature the right of establishing a den, but surely the creature had to recognize that it would not be in the best interests of either of them for it to do so on his farm. Thus far the creature had avoided a direct confrontation, and it had not remained near its diggings in the morning when Jaron came out to check on his crops, his trees, and his animals. He’d taken to carrying a sling, just in case, but he had little interest in slaying the creature. But filling in its holes, closing them up before they could become full-fledged dens, was clearly not working.

Clearly, he’d have to be more creative in dissuading it.

He was distracted from his musings by the noise of a horse coming up the track toward his farm. The sound of iron-shod hooves was distinct on the packed earth, narrowing the possible identity of the newcomer to just a handful. Unless the visitor was a stranger to Fairhollow, in which case even more caution than he was applying to his four-legged rival might be warranted. Jaron wasn’t really worried, although he did glance back to the low rise where his neat little farmhouse was perched, flanked by a pair of low outbuildings that seemed to jut out of the hill like natural mounds. Curiosity won out, but he stayed in the shadow of the fence as he made his way through the orchard to a spot where he could get a vantage on the track without being seen.

The traveler was not coming especially swiftly, and was still some distance away when Jaron got a good look at the pony and its rider. Grinning, he climbed up onto the fence, standing easily on the stout post where the fence made a corner.

“What a nice surprise, Yarine,” he began, but then he got a good look at the rider’s face. “What is it?”

Yarine reined in her mount, a brown pony with white forelocks. The rider was a halfling as well, of like age as the farmer, still hale and energetic despite the slight crinkling of the skin that was just visible around the corners of her eyes. She wore simple clothes of good-quality wool and leather, her only adornments a narrow brass band in her hair, and a small sigil of the god Avandra carved from wood on a throng around her neck. She had the look of a woman who smiled often, but there was only sadness and pity in her eyes as she met the eyes of the farmer.

“I’m so sorry,” she said.

Jaron swallowed. “It’s Jayse, isn’t it.”

Yarine nodded. “Maybe we’d better go inside, Jaron.”

She nudged her pony forward, and offered him a hand. He accepted, swinging up behind her on the pony. The animal accommodated the two of them easily enough, and did not protest when the woman urged the mount forward again. Neither halfling said anything, agreeing to let their topic rest through unspoken agreement. Jaron looked troubled, but he helped Yarine fasten the horse’s lead to the rail of the porch in front of his house, and held the door for her to go inside.

The front room of the farmhouse was warmly decorated but not cluttered, with several hand-made rugs on the wooden floor, and heavy wooden shutters, currently drawn back, affixed to the half-dozen slit windows. A number of portraits, depicting halflings of varying ages in an assortment of simple poses, decorated the walls. A doorway to the side of the entrance led onto a neat kitchen, while another, cloaked in long shadows, gave access to the back of the house.

The most significant feature in the room was a broad stone hearth, large enough so that either of the halflings could have stepped fully inside it without ducking their head. Jaron efficiently lit the ready stack of kindling there with flint and steel, and put a pot of tea on one of the adjustable metal hooks that swung out from the sides of the hearth. Yarine took the seat that he offered, and waited there in silence until he was ready. Jaron’s preparations only took a few minutes, but he lingered over the fire, clearly reluctant to face his guest. Yarine did not press him, and finally he turned to look at her.

“What happened?”

“I received word from Sister Linora, a priestess of Avandra in Winterhaven. Your brother was working as a guide in the area, and she said he’d left town with a group of men from the East, folk with the look of adventurers.”

“Treasure hunters, probably,” Jaron said. “For some reason, people from the settled lands cannot help but think that the frontier is littered with hidden caches.” He rubbed his hand through his hair, and then looked back up into Yarine’s soft eyes. “Where did they find the body?”

“Not far from the King’s Road. They never found the rest of the group.”

“How did he die?”

“He... his body, it was...” she trailed off.

“I’ve seen a lot, in my travels,” Jaron said quietly. “Please, continue.”

Yarine’s eyes glistened in the firelight. “His body was in poor shape when it was found. It looks like it was bandits, Jaron. Linora’s letter indicated that Winterhaven’s had a recurring problem with kobolds, and that they’ve become increasingly bold of late. The woman who found him—an elf woman from the area, named Delphina Moongem—she said that there were several kobold weapons in the area, and tracks, where Jayse’s body was left.”

“What about Jayse’s employers? Do you know anything more about them?”

Yarine shook her head. “The townsfolk didn’t know much about them. Linora said that they kept mostly to themselves, but that one of them wore the sigil of Pelor.”

Jaron looked into the fire, and for a long moment a silence stretched out between them. “I will go to Winterhaven and bring back the body,” Jaron finally said, without turning.

“I believe that Callen was planning on taking a load of supplies to Winterhaven in a day or two,” Yarine said.

Jaron glanced back at her. “He knows about the bandits?”

“You know Callen.”

“Yeah. Stubborn as that old horse of his.”

There was another long silence. Finally, Yarine looked around the warmly-decorated room. “You know, I always knew that you’d come back here, someday.”

“You never would have guessed it from what I said as a young man. I made no secret of my desire to get far away from Fairhollow as possible.”

“Yes, I remember.”

“Drove my parents crazy. They could never understand. Jayse did, though.”

“And Jaela?”

Jaron nodded, but he didn’t respond. Yarine leaned forward in the deep chair, and ran a hand along the weathered stones of the hearth. The fireplace was old, and the mortar in the crevices had started to flake, but the whole had a look of permanence to it, as though it was keeping the entire house standing. “I remember when you, Jayse, and Marten went off to the War.”

Jaron’s lips tightened. “The War. You know, to the humans, it was barely a skirmish, a little raid of almost no consequence. Our “army” was barely a hundred men, in all. There are cities in the more settled lands where merchants have private companies of guardsmen that are larger.”

“Our world here is... smaller, Jaron.”

He looked back up at her. “Do you blame me...” His eyes dropped into his lap, and he worried the fringe of a seat cushion with his fingers.

“For Marten going with you? No, never that, Jaron.” She reached out and touched his knee. “Dal Durga’s raiders threatened the entire region. If you hadn’t brought the news about the humanoids, and about the humans rallying their army to stop them, someone else would have. Or maybe our first warning would have been the braying of hobgoblin warhorns. They destroyed several villages, I understand.”

“Yes, I know,” Jaron said. He stared off into the distance, as if seeing things that could never be forgotten.

“Marten would have gone even if you had never come back. He told me, before he went, that he was glad you were here. That if he had to fight to protect his people, he was glad to do it beside the Feldergrass boys.”

Jaron smiled, but it was wry. “My mother nearly killed me when Jayse volunteered. After Jaela left, then me... she thought that she was losing everything important to her.”

“Is that why you returned? After it was all over?”

“No, not really. I mean, they were already dead by the time that Jayse and I came back. Do you know that they died within three days of each other?”

“I was the one who found them, remember?” she said quietly.

Jaron fidgeted uncomfortably in his chair. “Oh, yes... I’m sorry, I guess I’d forgotten.”

She touched him again, her eyes brimming with sympathy. “It’s all right, Jaron.”

He abruptly stood up and turned away from her. “I... I’d better get ready.” He walked over to a chest that stood near the outside door, and flipped it open. He let out a tired sigh as he looked inside, barely audible, but Yarine noticed. She came up beside him, stepping past him toward the door, but she paused there, her hand on the latch.

“Thank you for coming, Yarine,” he said.

“I had to, Jaron.”

For a moment the pair lingered there, close together by the door. Finally Yarine opened the door, but she paused again in the threshold. “There’s something else, Jaron... I would not trouble you with it, not now, but I fear it cannot be avoided.”

“What is it?”

“It’s Belden.”

Jaron let out an exasperated sigh. “What has he gotten into this time? Gods, he hasn’t stolen from the Galderbrushes again, has he?”

“I’m afraid that it is a bit more... serious, this time. He... he killed Dale Wanderwarren’s bull.”

“What? Why?”

“I don’t know, Jaron. But I’m afraid that the situation is quite grim. Dale’s furious, and he’s threatening to file a claim on Wanda’s property for reimbursement of his loss.”

Jaron hit the threshold of the door with his fist. “It’s not Wanda’s fault. Beetle’s... hard to control. It was an act of kindness, taking him in. No one else would have...” Realizing he was starting to babble, Jaron clenched his jaw and stopped speaking.

“Everyone knows that your cousin... has problems, Jaron. But this is more serious than anything he’s done before. Some people are starting to get worried, afraid even.”

“Beetle—Belden—would never hurt anyone. He must have had a reason for what he did to Wanderwarren’s bull.”

“I’m not saying you’re wrong, Jaron. But I don’t know if I can protect Belden, or Wanda, if he stays in Fairhollow. You have to take him with you.”

“You mean to Winterhaven? Are you serious? I can’t, Yarine. Look, I understand the problem, but I promised Belden’s mother that I would look after him.” He hesitated, and looked away for a moment, realizing that the current situation was a sign that he’d failed in that vow. “It’s dangerous, outside,” he said.

“I know. But it’s dangerous here as well. Belden... he’s special, Jaron. He... he needs to find his place.”

“And you think he’ll find it out there? In the tall folks’ world?”

“All I know, is that Fairhollow is no longer his place. I’m sorry, Jaron.”

He did not respond, and after a moment Yarine lowered her head slightly, as if nodding to herself. She went to her horse and untied it, using the step on the edge of the porch to boost herself up into the saddle. “Farewell, Jaron,” she said, but he said nothing, only watched her as she turned her mount around and urged it back up the path.

When she glanced back at the bend in the trail, he was still there, standing in the doorway, staring after her.

Last edited:

jensun

First Post
I am loving the start of this SH LB. I think it will be particularly interesting to see how you and Dr Midnights stories play out side by side.

Is the attack by the goblins and bandits an addition to the module?

wolff96

First Post
*sniff* *sniff*

Is that a Halfling Warlord I smell? With perhaps a roguish companion...

I've been saying since I got the PHB that halflings would make pretty good Warlords. :)

And no gimped wizards? LB... I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Is the attack by the goblins and bandits an addition to the module?
It is a new encounter, but it only uses forces present in the module.
monboesen said:
So is it gonna be an all hafling PC story
No, we'll see a few more races represented shortly.
wolff96 said:
Is that a Halfling Warlord I smell?
Jaron is a ranger.

My books are on the way; while I have tentative stat blocks for the first four characters, I'm going to wait until I get the PH and can check my calculations.

Chapter 2

The key rattled in the lock, then the door creaked open, letting in a generous shaft of light. The storeroom was cluttered, but clean, without so much as a stray cobweb visible in the far corners. The only other light was a small window high along the far wall, set with closely spaced iron bars set into the casement. There wasn’t much concern about thievery in Fairhollow proper, but the halfling village was an island of order in a hostile land, and the buildings tended to be constructed with the needs of defense in mind.

Jaron stepped into the room, scanning the interior. He overlooked the shadowed spot between a pair of crates twice before a slight movement there brought his attention back.

“Beetle?”

The figure that emerged tentatively from the narrow crevice was a halfling, but one look was enough to indicate that he was different from most of his kin. His arms and legs were lean and gangly, and he moved with an unusual gait, almost as though his body wasn’t quite on the same exact page as his mind. Jaron could see that he’d been washed recently, but even so a fresh patina of dirt covered the front of his face. His shirt had been torn, and Jaron could make out a red stain along the edge of the rip.

“Beetle, are you all right? Did they hurt you?”

The halfling touched the rip, and shook his head. “No hurt. Hungry.”

Jaron drew out a small apple from his pocket, and tossed it to his cousin. Beetle snatched it out of the air, and devoured it, core and all, in a few bites. He grinned through a mouthful of fruit, the juice running down the corners of his mouth.

Jaron sighed. “I heard that you got into some trouble, Beetle.”

The other halfling shrugged. He glanced toward the door, but Jaron shut it decisively behind him before coming further into the room. “No trouble, Jayse.”

“Jaron. It’s Jaron. Don’t you remember, Beetle?” It was an old thing between them, the mistake in the name, but Jaron had to fight back a sudden thick feeling in his chest. Jaron wasn’t sure if his cousin couldn’t really tell the difference between him and his brother, or if it was just a game he played. It was hard to tell, with Belden. The halfling had been born... odd, as though he lived partly in another world that was not evident to the rest of the people of Fairhollow. His parents had done their best to shelter the boy, and Jaron and Jayse had protected him from other children, who were harsh judges of anything that was out of the norm. But the plague had carried off Beetle’s parents, and it had fallen on his grandmother Wanda, who’d been well upon venerable even back then, to care for the boy. Beetle loved the old woman, but as time passed he’d become more unruly, and even less predictable.

“Jaron,” Beetle said, smiling as he sprang up onto a cask, kicking the heels of his feet against the wood.

“Don’t break that,” Jaron said absently, his brow furrowed. He walked back and forth, looking for a solution that wasn’t there.

“Whacha matter, Jaron?”

“I have to go on a journey, Beetle. A long journey, to Winterhaven.”

“Go riding?”

“Yes, I’m going on Callen’s cart.”

“Beetle come with?”

Jaron stopped pacing; they’d come to it. “Beetle... why did you kill Dale’s bull?”

Beetle’s grin vanished, and he fidgeted, causing the cask to wobble menacingly under him. “Bull not good. Bull bad, like Dale. In here,” he said, thumping his chest.

Jaron sighed. “I know Dale’s not the easiest person to get along with. But... Beetle, you know what you did, it was wrong. You know that?”

Beetle spun around, and the cask nearly toppled. The halfling was more agile than he looked, and he rode the circling barrel easily, shifting his weight on his muscled forearms. “You not know. I know, I see. Not good.”

“Not good,” Jaron said. “Beetle... you have to come with me. To Winterhaven. You have to promise me... you have to promise, that you won’t do anything like that again.”

Beetle completed his circuit, and the cask settled back onto the floor. “I promise, Jayse.” His grin was wide, and the troubled look that had been there a moment before was gone as if it had never existed.

Jaron’s worried frown, however, lingered.

Fimmtiu

First Post
Excellent! Nothing like a mentally disturbed halfling to round out a party. Wouldn't find him as a pregen.

Looking forward to the rest of this!

Remove ads