• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leadership on a ship

Summer-Knight925

First Post
So I have a 12th level Swashbuckler with an 18 charisma.
I took leadership.
I have a dragonmark (but not just any dragonmark, a super cool one I got for free) and I braved the island of a pirate lord (a legendary pirate lord nonetheless)

So it was agreed my score was 19

this would mean I can have 13th level cohort (actually the max level is 10, so its a 10th level cohort)
40 1st level followers
2 2nd level followers
2 3rd level followers
1 4th level follower
and 1 5th level follower

I know I have to give my cohort part of the treasure, and the rules say I need to give them shelter and food.

I'm a pirate lord. Is not any booty we gain from the ship enough?
Like if we attacked another ship and there was gold and they split it amongst themselves would that not be enough for them to eat?
does not the ship count as shelter?

the cohort would act as 1st mate (so when I go in the dungeon he is acting captain) and the followers are ship hands.

No my character is not evil, he just wants freedom (infact if he ever comes across a slave ship he is relentless in setting the slaves free, since he himself was a former slave)

So the question is what count's as 'taking care of your followers' if you're a pirate captain?

Androrc

First Post
I think you are spot on. The booty should serve as the "part of the treasure", and the ship would be the shelter. The food you should have stocked up on the ship to feed them.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend looking at the 3.5 book titled "Stormwrack - Mastering the Perils of Wind and Wave."

Leadership is one of those feats that the player and DM really need to work together on. Any reasonable DM should certainly allow a character with Leadership to be the captain of a ship and spread the wealth around when encounters happen. Ships count as shelter, and of course the food stores count for feeding your followers and cohort. Screwing up on the food and shelter of course has its consequences.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Now if you go off adventuring I can see where you may need to give a little extra treasure to your first mate as compensation pay since he is acting captain. I'm not sure what percent you're supposed to give with leadership but I'd say in this instance like 10% of your take would be sufficient or you may come back to a ship that was engaged in many battles and you are not included in the booty they recieved.

But definetly as Jack says to get with your DM about all this stuff. Leadership is a very complex feat that requires constant attention from you and DM and both should know what's going on with your cohorts.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
When I attract followers (as my character) I do as their own freewill. Thus they should be aware that they need to work for their own food and shelter (or in this case pirate and get supplies) and that I, as captain, am not responsible for each of them, while they are part of my crew and I will not let my crew down, I am chaotic neutral, which means Keelhauling is very much an option, granted only for the most serious of crimes (like killing other crew or trying to kill me)

Any type of ship we attack along the way will be totally and utterly raided to make sure any and all supplies from that ship are now on mine.

I did buy the ship.
I do have money to buy supplies (like 1400 loaves of bread money)
but I run A PIRATE CREW, I expect many of my followers to be thieves and cut throats (fighters and rogues mostly) while my 1st mate is a Human Ninja.

And it says he gets 1/2 of my gold, my COHORT
the DM was seeing it as the followers are also cohorts
which is simply not the case.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Between followers, your Cohort and yourself, that's 48 people.

I'm limited in my knowledge of ship sizes, but is there a ship that fits that many people?

If not (or even if so), consider either:
-A Flagship, and a few smaller ships
-A secret island home base, which some Followers manning the home
-A series of contacts, Followers that don't necessarily travel with you, but are various professionals you can get in touch with whenever you come into port

...I think you've got something awesome there, however you play it. Enjoy!

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Between followers, your Cohort and yourself, that's 48 people.

I'm limited in my knowledge of ship sizes, but is there a ship that fits that many people?

If not (or even if so), consider either:
-A Flagship, and a few smaller ships
-A secret island home base, which some Followers manning the home
-A series of contacts, Followers that don't necessarily travel with you, but are various professionals you can get in touch with whenever you come into port

...I think you've got something awesome there, however you play it. Enjoy!

I guess you could say I have a secret island hideout....it is just, you know, haunted and covered with fiendish animals, no biggy or anything

and the multiple ships could work, but I had found a ship large enough, and the contacts, that is a great idea, thank you for that.

Eventually I will have my island which is a haven for slaves and the hunted, a bastion protected by those seeking freedom, of course there will still be some law, it will be the simple "do not steal, do not kill" style set of laws, a paradise for those slaves.
Many of these slaves will want to be a pirate like my character and will be allowed (assuming they get a ship)

My character is in eberron (3e D&D) and is most likely going to name the island Freeport JUST to mess things up a big.B-)

Iku Rex

Explorer
And it says he gets 1/2 of my gold, my COHORT

To clarify; he gets "a half share of any treasure the party gains". "For instance, if a party of four PCs and one cohort earns 1,000 gp, divide the gold pieces by 5 (which is 200 apiece), but award the cohort only 100, and divide the leftover 100 among the four PCs (25 each)."

Putting on musical performances for the entertainment of the crew.
I believe this is the official song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7SVMVrick]Pirate King -The Pirates of Penzance (Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

Also,
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fUv-WY0DDo]Lazytown You are a Pirate (with english subtitles) - YouTube[/ame] .

Remove ads