Level Up (A5E) Leading Throw + Redirect Combo

Stalker0

Legend
So my player has recently put out this combo, and it's been a doozy. No complaints here just highlighting some of the things you can do when you start getting access to a number of maneuvers together.

So the idea is, a monster moves in and attacks. If its misses, the player uses leading throw to toss it 15 feet away. Often the monster had to move far enough on the initial move that it can't get back to the front, so it loses its other attacks.

Or the attack hits, player uses Redirect to make the monster either hit someone else or itself. The combo hugely weakens the monster's "alpha strike", which in a 3 round common combat is a big deal.

This combo has proven really effective on the "big dumb brute" monsters that are common at mid tier CRs, as they tend to have weaker dex and int saving throws.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Honestly, I love it.

I used Leading Throw with a Queen Bee Berserker character I played recently in one of @RangerWickett's games and roleplayed her as being a psionic character.

So creatures would miss and she'd "Telekinetically" throw them away from herself. It was a hoot and a half!

Especially when she was on the back of a flying Dragon using the "Climb On" function and he missed her... so she threw him 15ft downward to get closer to her allies.

So my player has recently put out this combo, and it's been a doozy. No complaints here just highlighting some of the things you can do when you start getting access to a number of maneuvers together.

So the idea is, a monster moves in and attacks. If its misses, the player uses leading throw to toss it 15 feet away. Often the monster had to move far enough on the initial move that it can't get back to the front, so it loses its other attacks.

Or the attack hits, player uses Redirect to make the monster either hit someone else or itself. The combo hugely weakens the monster's "alpha strike", which in a 3 round common combat is a big deal.

This combo has proven really effective on the "big dumb brute" monsters that are common at mid tier CRs, as they tend to have weaker dex and int saving throws.
There's just so much to love... Leading Throw can mean a monster gets thrown off a cliff, in a pit, in a hazardous terrain, in a spell's area, etc, without further saves.
This also means that a monster can try to desperately leave a hazardous terrain only to be thrown back in during its own turn, which means any nasty effect will trigger again next round, and the character still has its round to do what he prefers

Remove ads