• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leap Attack

Iku Rex

Explorer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Just idly wondering how it would stack up with the power attack increases from a frenzied berserker?
Supreme Power Attack and Leap Attack both double the same value - the extra damage from Power Attack. End result: tripling. (+ 100% adn + 100% = +200% .)

Xanterith

First Post
wait a second - so a frenzied beserker using a great axe getting a critical at 10th level with a max power attack is +180 points of damage from the power attack?!

wow....that is just overkill.....

Grunj

First Post
jontherev said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "a touchdown is not a jump". I don't see any difference between charging on the ground and jumping and flying/charging 5' off the ground and doing the same thing. If that errata is true, it makes this feat even more powerful.

The jump bonus isn't necessary for this feat since you only need to jump 10' and you need 8 ranks of jump to even get this feat.

Ah, but with 8 ranks and a +8 bonus the odds of making a 10' standing broadjump are much better (DC 20). That way you don't have to spend part of the move getting up to speed for the jump. Why does it matter? Because of another popular Scout feat chain, Dodge>Mobility>Spring Attack.

Using my Barb/Scout example with a 50' move, it allows the PC to broad jump for ten feet, make a Leap Attack (plus skirmish), then move up to 40' away to end their turn. Lots of battlemat flexibility there. You can also set yourself to repeat the Leap Attack every single turn if you move say, twenty feet away.

Dross

Explorer
Xanterith said:
wait a second - so a frenzied beserker using a great axe getting a critical at 10th level with a max power attack is +180 points of damage from the power attack?!

wow....that is just overkill.....

I like the term "Just making sure" myself. :)

dungeon blaster

First Post
If there's a frenzied berserker in your game, you've got bigger problems than leap attack :\

An interesting combination would be combining leap attack with the spell "rhino's charge" (SpC, I believe). In fact, I've got a PC who could do just that (fighter 10/pious templar 2; +39 jump; 2-handed halberd; 22 Str; leap of the clouds, leap attack feats)

Felix

Explorer
Grunj said:
Using my Barb/Scout example with a 50' move, it allows the PC to broad jump for ten feet, make a Leap Attack (plus skirmish), then move up to 40' away to end their turn. Lots of battlemat flexibility there. You can also set yourself to repeat the Leap Attack every single turn if you move say, twenty feet away.
Leap Attack said:
This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.
Leap Attack is a charge; your Barb/Scout cannot Spring Attack on a charge, nor on a Leap Attack.

jontherev said:
For example, if you were flying right above the ground towards an opponent (who is on the ground) and then briefly touched the ground to jump at your foe (from at least 10' away) would this feat work?
For Leap Attack to work, you must:
A) Make at least a 10' jump.
B) Follow the rules for charging.

I do not know that you may not combine movement types during a charge, but the movement from the moment you hit the ground and Jump must be a result of your Jump, and not a switch back to flight. Flying is not Jumping, and so disqualifies the use of the feat.

So I don't know that you wouldn't be able to:

Charge [Fly] 20ft, land, continue charging 5ft, Jump 10 ft, Leap Attack.​

But I do know you would not be able to do this:

Charge [Fly] 20ft, land, continue charging 5ft, continue charging [Fly] 10ft, Leap Attack.​

jontherev

First Post
Felix said:
For Leap Attack to work, you must:
A) Make at least a 10' jump.
B) Follow the rules for charging.

I do not know that you may not combine movement types during a charge, but the movement from the moment you hit the ground and Jump must be a result of your Jump, and not a switch back to flight. Flying is not Jumping, and so disqualifies the use of the feat.

So I don't know that you wouldn't be able to:

Charge [Fly] 20ft, land, continue charging 5ft, Jump 10 ft, Leap Attack.​

But I do know you would not be able to do this:

Charge [Fly] 20ft, land, continue charging 5ft, continue charging [Fly] 10ft, Leap Attack.​

When you touch the ground, you jump immediately...you don't continue charging on the ground. At least, that is the effect I am seeking. As long as you have enough ground (and fly) movement to cover the total charge distance, it should work fine. I can see our DM requiring a tumble check though. I don't think this is really covered anywhere in the rules, but feel free to point me there if you know where it is. I'm not sure I'll ever even do this...I was just curious how/if it would work. I know you couldn't fly any other way than this and use leap attack...it would have to be in a straight line. For example, this could also work if you were flying straight towards an enemy on a roof by jumping from one roof to another. It's just a cool effect that probably wouldn't be used very often at all.

glass

(he, him)
jontherev said:
If you power attack with a 2-handed weapon or while wielding a 1-handed weapon in 2 hands, you double the power attack damage. It's in the special section of the feat description.
No you don't. You add two points of damage for every point a attack bonus you sacrifice. Pure addition, no multiplication.

glass.

Felix

Explorer
jontherev said:
you don't continue charging on the ground.
Quite right. But your movement must follow all the rules for charging and jumping.
As long as you have enough ground (and fly) movement to cover the total charge distance
If your movement after you land (or touch ground, or whatever) is because of your Fly movment rate, then you are not Jumping. If you are not jumping, then you are not following the rules for jumping, and so you may not Leap Attack.

If your movement after you land is because of a Jump, then it might work. This depends upon the rules governing changing movement types while charging, which I am not sure of, so I am merely admitting the possibility.

---

So if what you want to do while charging is: Fly, touch, Fly, attack, then you can't do it. Beacuse you're not jumping.

If you want to: Fly, touch, Jump, attack, then you might be able to do it.

You have not made clear which you would rather, although the last post suggests the first (and not allowable) case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads