• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leap Attack

jontherev

First Post
Felix said:
Quite right. But your movement must follow all the rules for charging and jumping.

If your movement after you land (or touch ground, or whatever) is because of your Fly movment rate, then you are not Jumping. If you are not jumping, then you are not following the rules for jumping, and so you may not Leap Attack.

If your movement after you land is because of a Jump, then it might work. This depends upon the rules governing changing movement types while charging, which I am not sure of, so I am merely admitting the possibility.

---

So if what you want to do while charging is: Fly, touch, Fly, attack, then you can't do it. Beacuse you're not jumping.

If you want to: Fly, touch, Jump, attack, then you might be able to do it.

You have not made clear which you would rather, although the last post suggests the first (and not allowable) case.

I guess I wasn't clear. I want to leap attack while flying to put it succintly. In order to do that, you must actually jump. So your last case is what I meant. Since it involves both movements (flight and ground), I would think you couldn't move more than the twice the lowest of your speed forms. For example, if you had 30' ground speed and 90' flight speed, you could only move a total of 60' during the charge. So, the best you could do is fly 50', jump 10' and attack. If anyone knows how you're supposed to calculate movement totals using two different modes with differing speeds, please correct me.

Reading the charge and jump descriptions, I don't see anything ruling this out as long as you maintain the same "plane" of direction.

jontherev

First Post
werk said:
(reads up on jump skill) How so?
I think he means that he would allow a flying creature to charge from an alititude and instead of requiring the straight line that a charge normally requires, he would allow a slight deviation in the flight path. The creature would basically charge to a spot 10' away from the target and then jump (leap attack) from there (whether it is a wall or the ground). At least, that was my interpretation of his post. I think that's stretching the rules of charge a bit, but it's also a pretty cool and not overpowering thing to allow. IMO.

werk

First Post
jontherev said:
I think he means that he would allow a flying creature to charge from an alititude and instead of requiring the straight line that a charge normally requires, he would allow a slight deviation in the flight path. The creature would basically charge to a spot 10' away from the target and then jump (leap attack) from there (whether it is a wall or the ground). At least, that was my interpretation of his post. I think that's stretching the rules of charge a bit, but it's also a pretty cool and not overpowering thing to allow. IMO.

I thought there were feats/abilities that allow the changing of direction during a charge...getting around the strait-line part of charge.
It seems that allowing that for free is contraindicated by existing materials.

Grunj

First Post
Leap Attack is a charge; your Barb/Scout cannot Spring Attack on a charge, nor on a Leap Attack.

Doh! :confused:

Aha! The Action Surge feat from the Eberron Campaign setting will let me take a Move action after a charge, I just have to spend two action points to do it. Expensive.

Legildur

First Post
jontherev said:
You forget that some of us are not as frequent posters and readers as you. A good search tool would help. Thanks a lot for the link. Holy cr@p! X4!?!
Simple. Become a Community Supporter, which will get you access to the search tool. Or, like many do, you can simply use Google, or sort the threads by title and look for it that way.

Last edited:

javcs

First Post
For repeating the Barb/Scout trick, you'd have to dip into either egoist or psychic warrior for the hustle power, fun stuff can commence then.
Or, depending on whether the DM'll let you, standard action charge in, tumble back out, repeat.

werk said:
I thought there were feats/abilities that allow the changing of direction during a charge...getting around the strait-line part of charge.

Not sure about charging, but there is at least one feat (and I believe two) that allow for changing direction while running.

Remove ads